HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:53 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

I'm pulling for Silverstein to get this going, too. Let's go! This will be something big, dramatic, and sober downtown once again. (After considering its juxtaposition with 1 WTC.)

I've posted before my nerves about financing, and the economy, yada yada. But if Silverstein can pull this off, what a Man. (His whole team.) I'm hanging in suspense as he gets this thing going. Finally. (!)

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
For the height, yea. While the design has grown on me I wouldn't blame someone for thinking it was horrid looking.
It looks good from certain angles, but horrid from others.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:54 PM

Man building a tower identical to WTC 1 would be so satisfying. Oh well.
I'm still really hoping the BIG proposal gets built so people can realize how great it will look. I've never seen so many people whine and complain about simple stacked boxes before.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:26 PM
Metal Up Your !

[QUOTE=Obadno;8580022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hopefully Silverstein follows through with his instincts and continues plans for construction...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bum_7pCFpQC/

Couldn't disagree more, this design is horrid. I dont know why this has become popular among architects but it looks downright stupid.

You're giving them too much respect by calling them "architects."

Personally, through the eye of the beholder, I would only credit an architect if the building they design brings a sense of wonder and natural beauty to city's citizens. This is not one of those.

However, not to say I would rather see this one rise instead of leaving a giant gaping hole in a long-overdue site. At this point, it is better than nothing.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
The current design has also grown on me as well. Would you rather have a unique design of stacked boxes or just a box? Just a box would be horrible, what's proposed now is fine
Yes, just a box looks better.

Having a weird or unique look =/= good. Its a shame to see architects falling for the same nonsense as modern art.

Being strange isn't always a virtue. Being traditional isnt always bad. Our buildings dont need to break new ground or make you think about the meaning of the universe they need to look good and have functionality.

This building looks bad.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:42 PM

BIG really swooped in out of nowhere a ruined the best tower on this site. I'll never get over it.

Really all of the WTC towers have been picked apart to bare bones, unfortunate. Wasn't this redevelopment supposed to symbolism this country's greatness or whatever? I feel like it did the opposite which is fitting and ironic.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I feel like it did the opposite which is fitting and ironic.
Pretty fitting for our era, absolutely rich and capable but hobbled and paralyzed by its own self imposed nonsense.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:43 PM

What is the exact height?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:56 PM

Wow! Badass building!

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

If BIG's tower were proposed for Atlanta, for example, they'd think that they were on the map.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 9:54 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
If BIG's tower were proposed for Atlanta, for example, they'd think that they were on the map.
I'd say Philly is a more proper example. Their new scrapers are similar to this one, glass, bland, and boxy fatties. Atlanta has elegant scrapers.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

While I know it's frustrating for people who actually open this thread thinking there must be some news (myself included), I do admit to a small pleasure watching some of you people twist yourselves into knots trying to criticize this tower without explicitly stating what was superior about the previous version. It's laughable really.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
While I know it's frustrating for people who actually open this thread thinking there must be some news (myself included), I do admit to a small pleasure watching some of you people twist yourselves into knots trying to criticize this tower without explicitly stating what was superior about the previous version. It's laughable really.
What was superior? It looked much better:

You can debate about if its "superior" or if other cities would cream themselves to have the same tower in their own cities but thats all pablum.

The original design looked much better. Obviously that is somewhat subjective but I think most peopel would agree.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I'd say Philly is a more proper example. Their new scrapers are similar to this one, glass, bland, and boxy fatties. Atlanta has elegant scrapers.
I guess you've never been to Philly or Atlanta.

The absurdity about BIG's tower is ridiculous. As I said, there's not a city in America that wouldn't love to have it. It would warrant a front page article in the Chicago Tribune, and a place like Atl or Charlotte would feel "on the map."

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 10:24 PM

I used to loathe BIG's design, but over time I began to realize that I was more upset at the loss of Foster's building after 7 years of anticipating it to eventually rise. Having had 4 years to contemplate the BIG design, I've come to admire it. Sure, that one ground-level rendering from Vesey st. isn't the most flattering angle, but as others have said, it nicely evokes the twin towers when viewed from the Hudson. Given time, I firmly believe it will become accepted as part of NYC's iconography.

via wtc.com:

If it were in my power, I'd green-light Foster's building on-spec in a heartbeat. That being said, I'd also send construction crews back over to 3WTC to install the spires and cross-bracing. Unfortunately, neither of those things are likely to ever happen. At this point all I pray is that something gets going before the 20-year anniversary.

Last edited by ClarkeRyan; May 26, 2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: image credit

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:22 AM

If we end up with the BIG design they should add an outside observation deck and restaurant at the top. Either way shame this or the original design didn't end up as 3WTC, as I feel both designs are better than that building by far.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:37 PM

Considering the context I've always thought that the simple fact that the BIG proposal looks like it is falling over makes it inferior to the Foster proposal.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 11:52 PM

I really hope this Tower starts construction soon or at least lands an anchor tenant. I can’t even say it’s embarrassing anymore that it’s been nearly 18 years and the WTC still isn’t finished. Now this is just ridiculous. How is this a big middle finger to the terrorists exactly? When it does get built eventually it better not be this 1,270’ figure that’s been going around. It needs to be 1,300’ plus, around the height of the old South Tower. 1,340’ is acceptable, just nothing under 1,300’. It’s not getting done by 2022 like Silverstein keeps saying. Then again, almost everything he says is contradictory to what actually ends up happening.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
What was superior? It looked much better:

The original design looked much better. Obviously that is somewhat subjective but I think most peopel would agree.

You would be wrong on that assumption, but it's neither here nor there. Foster's "great" design is dead, dead, dead. And frankly, save for the diamond top, as bland as anything could be. BIG's desing in that same format would be more of the same. But it's not in that format. Not all all. It's the more visually interesting and promising of the two, and a better companion to the Freedom Tower.

Anyway, there's nothing going on with this thread other than attracting the worst elements. Short of any news, and no activity on site, it will have to be closed. We can't have nice things.

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 30, 2019 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Finally some news...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/15/2-worl...foster-design/

2 World Trade Center getting revamped Norman Foster design

By Steve Cuozzo
January 15, 2020

Quote:
... now that BIG’s quirky tower of stacked boxes has no takers, the old Foster design is being “significantly modified to be more reflective of contemporary needs and taste,” Silverstein says. (No rendering is available yet as it’s still a work in progress.)

Silverstein hit the pause button after that to concentrate on leasing up the other towers. But now he’s itching to hit the launch button for Tower Two — although not without first filling the rest of Three World Trade Center.

"The important thing now is to lease up Tower Three,” he says. “I don’t think it’s going to be long to start focusing on Tower Two.”

Did that mean he wants Tower Three to be fully leased first? “Yes, it’s fair to say that,” he says.

Silverstein is also vying to build a rental apartment tower at the World Trade Center’s Site 5, south of Liberty Street, in partnership with Brookfield. But “what’s closest to my heart is Tower Two,” he adds.

“With the level of lease-up activity at Tower Three, my hunch is it won’t be terribly long before an announcement comes up with respect to Tower Two,” he says. “Sometime in 2020, [a fully leased] Tower Three should be a fait accompli.”

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction