HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 6:26 PM

Regina's Multi-Purpose facility

I thought this deserved it's own thread. These are exciting times.

Stadium News Conference

The full story courtesy 620 CKRM News:

A domed stadium is the best option for Regina.

That's the finding of a concept study released by the Wall government today. The study recommends a 38 thousand seat facility, expandable to 50 thousand, on the rail yards just north of downtown.

It would cost an estimated 350 million dollars, and would take three to four years to build. A retractable roof is still on the table as well.

Enterprise Minister Ken Cheveldayoff says they're now conducting a full feasibility study, which will be completed in January.

"We're committing to having the study in our hands at that time. We'll look at the financial wherewithal of the Province, we'll look at the situation with the federal government, we're not going to commit to rush into anything."

Mayor Pat Fiacco says with the additional development around such a project, like hotels and office space, this is very much about the future of the community.

"I don't want 20 years from now for people to say what were they thinking, why didn't they think about the future? Why are our people leaving? Why are our grandkids leaving? We want people to stay, and others to make Regina their home as well."

Fiacco says a new stadium would also open up the Mosaic Stadium site for an entirely new neighbourhood.

From the Roughriders' stand point, they've made it very clear that staying in Mosaic Stadium as it stands is not an option.

Board Chair Rob Fletch says a new stadium is needed to remain competitive.

"Better seating, not bench seating, theater style seating. Better concession areas, better washrooms, probably more private boxes, club seating. And obviously a domed stadium addresses all of the weather related issues."

The concept study also looked at the redevelopment of Mosaic Stadium, as well as the possibility of building a new open air stadium, but concluded those options would have minimal economic impact on the city.

The Wall government has stated that general revenue fund dollars will not be used in the construction of any new stadium.

Partnerships between private industry and a crown like the Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation have been mentioned as options in the past.

http://www.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGet...=876&PN=Shared

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 9:44 PM

Good luck with this. A domed stadium in Regina would be great. I doubt it'll happen. If it does it'll likely be a very basic, bare-bones facility that may not be well embraced by the fans.

Best build a less expensive open air stadium that won't have to be stripped down to the bare-bones to make it doable.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 9:50 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Good luck with this. A domed stadium in Regina would be great. I doubt it'll happen. If it does it'll likely be a very basic, bare-bones facility that may not be well embraced by the fans.

Best build a less expensive open air stadium that won't have to be stripped down to the bare-bones to make it doable.
If they decide on the dome I really don't think it will be half-assed. I don't think the mayor or city would allow such a facility to be built. He's very much into pumping up Regina and really turning Regina around as a city (and it's image)... and honestly, in my opinion, over the years that he's been mayor, he's done a pretty good job.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 9:52 PM

Quote:

Those days are over bud. If you cared to read the link provided, it will be something special. I'm thinking there will be some jealous people around the country when the final design is announced.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ personally, if it's a dome, I won't be jealous.

Domes don't have much viability for the CFL and year-round uses for these facilities (conventions, concerts, etc.) are few and far between.

Not to mention that the costs to heat and cool these facilities in our climate would probably border on the ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
arf

^Someone somewhere had mentioned geo-thermal alternatives for the heating/cooling which would be a great idea for the facility.

I'm sure the mayor will ensure the stadium is as nice as the I <3 Regina sculpture in front of city hall.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Domes don't have much viability for the CFL and year-round uses for these facilities (conventions, concerts, etc.) are few and far between.

Not to mention that the costs to heat and cool these facilities in our climate would probably border on the ridiculous.
For what it's worth, they're leaning towards "retractable" style of roof. And yes, the possibilities of geothermal cooling/heating have also been discussed. If this is the case, this could be unprecedented to anything we have seen before in North America.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:31 PM
Closed account

exspandable

Last edited by timewilltell; Sep 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderfan4life View Post
Those days are over bud. If you cared to read the link provided, it will be something special. I'm thinking there will be some jealous people around the country when the final design is announced.
You're dreaming in technicolour bud. I doubt you'll be getting the domed retractable Taj Majal you'd like.

However bud as I said in my original post "Good luck with this. A domed stadium in Regina would be great.".

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
You're dreaming in technicolour bud. I doubt you'll be getting the domed retractable Taj Majal you'd like.

However bud as I said in my original post "Good luck with this. A domed stadium in Regina would be great.".
Yes because $350 million is cheaping out.

What was the number being thrown around for Asper's stadium? $120Mil? It was in the 100's anyways.

You don't think an extra 200 mil will buy much?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

I don't know about that, BC place out here is used quite heavily for trade shows, conventions and other miscellaneous events. It even gets used somewhat frequently for large concerts, despite its atrocious acoustics.

I do imagine the heating bills for the structure would be somewhat large, but if the proper design was put into the dome and base cladding it could be feasible.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 1:28 AM
Back from the dead

That's nice to hear and I hope Regina gets a great facility but I'm not so sure this is really a viable option.
If somebody wants to spend the money well okay , it's their money but in terms of how much use this thing will get and increase its chances of being successful , I just can't see that happening.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 1:41 AM

It will probably take away a few concerts that the MTS usually gets. You'll have to head down the Number 1 for the big events because they may just bypass Winnipeg for a better venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
That's nice to hear and I hope Regina gets a great facility but I'm not so sure this is really a viable option.
If somebody wants to spend the money well okay , it's their money but in terms of how much use this thing will get and increase its chances of being successful , I just can't see that happening.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:18 AM

I'm probably not even going to check this thread if all it's going to be is people bickering back and forth about whether or not the stadium will be built.
BTW: I'm on the "it's gonna happen" train

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
It will probably take away a few concerts that the MTS usually gets. You'll have to head down the Number 1 for the big events because they may just bypass Winnipeg for a better venue.
Not likely. I don't think promoters choose venues based upon which city has a nicer building.

Let's not make this a Winnipeg vs. Regina debate. Let's just discuss the viability of the new stadium.

@ sask1982... I'm afraid you're living in a fantasy land if you really believe a debate on such a facility won't include those on both sides of the debate.

Personally I'd love to see you folks get that stadium. I just don't believe a domed stadium is in the cards for Regina.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:55 AM
working stiff

The report and feedback from the politicians comes off as very positive and supportive (for the dome concept). I can't imagine how you Reginan's feel right now, probably excited and hungry for more information

Of course, finding public and private dollars for a project of this nature will be a struggle. I don't doubt the province could pay for a stadium itself, the question is, what is at stake.

Who loses what, who wins what? Is the risk acceptable, politically? This is huge game of politics (vote buying...but then everything the government is involved in is vote buying ). Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying there's more to this proposal than a place for the Riders to play or conventions to be held.

As a Saskatonian, for many reasons I support a domed stadium in Regina.

Here's hoping

Last edited by Ruckus; Jul 21, 2009 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:18 AM
Capitalist

I am completely on board with you Regina football fans ... and wish you all the best on your dream stadium... but from experience Winnipeg several stadium studies and proposals (3 Asper proposals, 1 Exhibition Park study, 2 blue bomber studies, 1 proposal from CanadInns for a dome, which was tagged at much more then 350million a couple years ago... among a few older studies) so lets not put the cart before the horse. We have a single study for any potential project in Regina and are now in a waiting mode.

There is no actual plans at this point .. nor does PCL have any connection to this project at this point, as there is no actual project on the table. At this point all there is out there is a project study.... no actual proposal. We now must wait for the viability study, which is where the rubber will meet the road. Thats where the province will have to decside how much it wants to carry the 70 - 85% of the overall costs. The feds have already come out and stated that they aren't willing to cover more than 10 to 15% of a sports facility. The city of Regina just doesn't have the budget to add much more than the land... so we will have to watch and wait... but I wish you all the best.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:24 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
They have been looking at a larger scale version of the Fargodome (which is about all 350million would buy these days in a dome format).. which could also be used for tradeshows, with the potencial to have a hotel linked to it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:56 AM

I'm very happy for you guys if it comes to fruition. I'm guessing any feasibility study will rule out a retractable roof, given the incredible cost of it, however, I sincerely hope you guys get your dome. The prairies are cold. There is a reason why Winnipeg cannot sellout a playoff game (or Grey Cup without Manitoba Hydro intervention in the 11th hour) to save their life. Plain and simple, it's too bloody cold. Nobody outside of the gin-blooded diehards, and steadfast football purists have even the slightest interest in watching a game with their particulars frozen solid, and/or too the surface of the medium they are sitting on. I really wish we were getting a dome here in Winnipeg.

Best of luck to you guys. I would love a dome. Mosaic Stadium is hard enough for visitors to play in. Mosaic Dome would be hell.

As far as concerts go however, the nature of domes are unfortunately that the acoustics will be marginal, and stage set-up strange (unless it's grandiose in scope, but the vast majority of concerts aren't). I'm not too familiar with the entertainment market in Regina, but outside of Rolling Stones-esque events, I don't imagine your proposed dome would even compete too much with the Brandt Centre, in the same fashion that the Metrodome in Minneapolis barely infringes on the Target Centre, or likewise Roger's Centre on the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:51 AM

I was reading an article,

It says that a new stadium for the Riders in Regina would cost over 350 million dollars. I believe the riders should get a new stadium, but it should be an outdoor stadium like the one Minnesota Golden Gophers are building (only on a smaller scale). It is an absolutely wonderful stadium and the cost is only $288.5 million to build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium

Last edited by Ruckus; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Resized image for better viewing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan