HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorGuy View Post
I really am pulling for this project but the absense of a parking garage or parking structure and so much surface parking leaves it feeling very suburban. I just can’t get behind a new downtown hotel with all surface parking. We have enough of that!
Far be it for me to defend surface parking in the core but the parking lot for the Hyatt will be completely hidden behind the hotel, and will occupy land (next to the railway tracks) that would never otherwise be developed (due to inaccessibility). For these reasons, in this particular location, the surface parking lot doesn't bother me much.

By avoiding a parking garage, the developers are likely saving a million bucks or so, but that doesn't mean the building itself will be of poor quality. Again, I have high hopes that this will be a quality project that will do justice to the ongoing redevelopment of the downtown core.

My one time endorsement for the surface parking lot for the Hyatt should not be misconstrued as a blanket justification for surface parking elsewhere in the downtown. We have too much surface parking, especially since most of it is in private bootable lots sucking the oxygen out of the downtown. The vast majority of the private bootable lots should be redeveloped for commercial and residential purposes, as well as for several multilevel parking structures. My feelings on this are well known and have not changed.

The occasional surface lot however, especially if hidden from view, will do no harm to the core however.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Far be it for me to defend surface parking in the core but the parking lot for the Hyatt will be completely hidden behind the hotel, and will occupy land (next to the railway tracks) that would never otherwise be developed (due to inaccessibility). For these reasons, in this particular location, the surface parking lot doesn't bother me much.

By avoiding a parking garage, the developers are likely saving a million bucks or so, but that doesn't mean the building itself will be of poor quality. Again, I have high hopes that this will be a quality project that will do justice to the ongoing redevelopment of the downtown core.

My one time endorsement for the surface parking lot for the Hyatt should not be misconstrued as a blanket justification for surface parking elsewhere in the downtown. We have too much surface parking, especially since most of it is in private bootable lots sucking the oxygen out of the downtown. The vast majority of the private bootable lots should be redeveloped for commercial and residential purposes, as well as for several multilevel parking structures. My feelings on this are well known and have not changed.

The occasional surface lot however, especially if hidden from view, will do no harm to the core however.
I agree with you & do not see this building as looking too suburban for the downtown core. The lower height means more width & length which fills that gap from the subway to the events centre. That walk right now is not appealing to most Monctonians, the area feels "unsafe" to people. Mostly this is fictionally in their minds, but put some shops, some modern lighting (like at the events centre) and tie that together with the plaza & suddenly this is one of the most vibrant areas of Moncton.

Also on the Crowne Plaza..I personally think its one of the ugliest buildings in Moncton. I love the sizing but it has aged poorly. New windows, paint, lighting and signage would go a long way though.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I agree with you & do not see this building as looking too suburban for the downtown core. The lower height means more width & length which fills that gap from the subway to the events centre. That walk right now is not appealing to most Monctonians, the area feels "unsafe" to people. Mostly this is fictionally in their minds, but put some shops, some modern lighting (like at the events centre) and tie that together with the plaza & suddenly this is one of the most vibrant areas of Moncton.

Also on the Crowne Plaza..I personally think its one of the ugliest buildings in Moncton. I love the sizing but it has aged poorly. New windows, paint, lighting and signage would go a long way though.
I think the "unsafe" feeling as you call it is not in there heads but mostly to do with the Homeless man who use to sit under the subway, and has assaulted people previously. I did see police pick him up. He does not seem to be mentaly well. Like most homeless but he seems more paranoid then the others who sit around Main street.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I think the "unsafe" feeling as you call it is not in there heads but mostly to do with the Homeless man who use to sit under the subway, and has assaulted people previously. I did see police pick him up. He does not seem to be mentaly well. Like most homeless but he seems more paranoid then the others who sit around Main street.
Ive worked downtown for 3 years right by the subway & have no idea who you mean. I routinely walk under the subway, including at night on weekends to catch a cab thats heading into main. Never felt unsafe. There may be a few incidents like anywhere else but its largely perception issue. Visually improving the area with lighting & paint and the hyatt being there will improve foot traffic & go a long way. I also anticipate a nice RCMP presence in that area on event nights.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:46 PM

The word I'm hearing for the restaurant is Baton Rouge.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I have eaten at the Baton Rouge in Ottawa, It is a very nice spot. I would rate the chain a step up from the Keg (my opinion only).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I hope you're correct. Very high class place. It would be a credit to the downtown culinary scene. A true destination restaurant.

https://www.batonrouge.ca/en/

Are your sources reliable????

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:10 PM

As for the Crowne Plaza, it is not that bad looking, not exactly good looking but at least it's size and height is much more fitting in a downtown setting that the proposed Hyatt which is fairly cookie cutter and too small and too low for a downtown setting. It looks like something that belongs in a big box area or near an airport. Google Hyatt Place images and you will see.

BTW ElevatorGuy is spot on with its comments!

I think the City of Moncton decided to jump the gun too quickly, they should've asked for a more urban proposal. Height, size and long term focus to have a really fitting development. This was a prime spot for the future, such a missed opportunity. Also Hyatt Place is similar to a Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express in term of quality and hotel class, this should've been a full service hotel; Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency with a couple hundred rooms, something at least as large as the Delta Beauséjour.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jun 19, 2018 at 12:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:40 PM

One thing people tend to forget is that, height is not what defines a downtown, it’s density. We may dislike this now, but when it’s finished we may end up loving it. Personally for me I would prefer to live in a city with density over a city with just height.. we just have to look at old pictures of Houston and see all the height, but parking lots galore. As for the crowne plaza, the height is great, but the outside is dated especially the lower half with the store fronts, I find it doesn’t come across as welcoming.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agree completely. When you look at a lot of European cities, it's the density that stands out, not the height. Many European cities are composed of tightly packed four storey buildings.

As for the Crowne Plaza, I know they are spending well north of a million dollars on renovations, but they seem to be mostly internal. It would be really nice if they fixed up the façade, but I see no evidence of this.

The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wonder if they are saving their ammunition for a "big fix" down the road. The Aquillini's own the entire block. I would like to think they might be planning to reclad the old tower, build a new tower, replace the plaza in front and add an enclosed parking garage. This is of course wishful thinking........

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Hyatt Place is similar to a Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express in term of quality and hotel class, this should've been a full service hotel; Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency with a couple hundred rooms, something at least as large as the Delta Beauséjour.
I don't disagree with you that Hyatt Place is not a "full service" hotel, but I do think it is a step above a Holiday Inn Express or Fairfield Inn. If there is such a think as a "luxury tourist class hotel", I think this would fit the description of a Hyatt Place.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:12 PM

I know what you mean, I'm just saying that they should've went with a full service hotel of a larger scale for this project so it would've been the "official" hotel of the new Events Centre; from all the literature online, Hyatt Place is clearly a select service mid-level property. Hotels that offer free breakfast always have a less refined feel to them than a full service hotel and are more cookie-cutter. Hyatt Place is a fine establishment in its own right, however I just feel that it was not meant to be the "central" hotel for this whole project. The future plans for this parcel were much more "grand" just a couple of months ago... or at least its vision for the future.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I hope you're correct. Very high class place. It would be a credit to the downtown culinary scene. A true destination restaurant.

https://www.batonrouge.ca/en/

Are your sources reliable????
I believe my source is good/reliable. People I know were talking to someone they knew (reliable) who had been talking to the people in charge at Cory Craig responsible for the Hotel and that is what they told him.

Sorry it sounds so vague, and anything could change until we actually see the restaurant but the source my source got their info from is not just anyone off the street.

I hope this helps.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean, I'm just saying that they should've went with a full service hotel of a larger scale for this project so it would've been the "official" hotel of the new Events Centre; from all the literature online, Hyatt Place is clearly a select service mid-level property. Hotels that offer free breakfast always have a less refined feel to them than a full service hotel and are more cookie-cutter. Hyatt Place is a fine establishment in its own right, however I just feel that it was not meant to be the "central" hotel for this whole project. The future plans for this parcel were much more "grand" just a couple of months ago... or at least its vision for the future.
Well, the Crowne Plaza is just across the street and I think it's a full service hotel. Maybe they thought two full service hotels in close proximity would hurt each others profits? I'm just guessing of course. At least people will have a choice on price point and service.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:44 PM

Hum... I believe both hotels will be priced very similarly. Even if not a full service hotel, I expect the Hyatt Place to be on par price-wise with the Delta or the Crowne Plaza which are our 2 full service hotels downtown.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Hotels that offer free breakfast always have a less refined feel to them than a full service hotel and are more cookie-cutter.
But I like free breakfasts. D:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ire narissis View Post
but i like free breakfasts. D:
the waffle machine!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would say they are about to erect the tower crane at the Hyatt site. Some of the crane pieces have been moved around and a second mobile crane is now on site, probably to assemble the main crane.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:06 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I would say they are about to erect the tower crane at the Hyatt site. Some of the crane pieces have been moved around and a second mobile crane is now on site, probably to assemble the main crane.
Indeed. Having trouble posting the image direct.

Last edited by JHikka; Jun 21, 2018 at 1:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces