HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Build one a year until done? Here is the capital budget: http://www.winnipeg.ca/FinEXT/FPR/fi...tal_budget.pdf. If you can show me where you expect these funds (likely tens of millions for an interchange) to come from, that would be awesome. Unless you're suggesting completely neglecting to maintain the infrastructure we already have, I don't see how this is feasible...But, perhaps you property taxes to increase significantly? As sweet as it would be to fly down Bishop light free, the reality is that for most of the day, it is like that anyway... The benefits just don't even come close to the costs...
Just an idea. If not one a year then build one every two years. Or every five years. Whatever. Just build the fricking things...

And while traffic during certain parts of the day on Bishop is not gridlocked should we wait until it is? What about other streets? Kenaston? Lagimodiere? I can assure you traffic is much heavier on those routes.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
First of all, I don't know where you got those numbers, but South Winnipeg is definately not going to have another 100000 to 150000 people in the next 5 to 10 years...Waverly West is projected to eventually have about 12000 homes or so, but not within 5 to 10 years.
Why the blinkered view on South Winnipeg alone? It is growing to be sure. But folks in other areas of the city travel TO south Winnipeg to work. Folks travel TO south Winnipeg to shop and play. Ikea will be a huge traffic driver on weekends and evenings. Traffic along Kenaston now is heavy day and evenings and weekends alike.

Then there is this claim that most people will be traveling downtown. There may be a growth of new jobs downtown but I don't see it as the only place employment will grow.

Again, I ask, when should we build the infrastructure to deal with the growth of the city? Transit is great, but I don't see it being the panacea to future traffic flow problems. Not in Winnipeg. Not as long as we enjoy -30c and ton's of snow to contend with.

BTW Waverly West is projected to have a population of 40k~ when completed. If no other area of south Winnipeg grows during that time there will be at least that new population growth to consider...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 2:12 AM

Well hope fully atleast Bishop will be free flow in the next 10 years. and c p t completed.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Why the blinkered view on South Winnipeg alone? It is growing to be sure. But folks in other areas of the city travel TO south Winnipeg to work. Folks travel TO south Winnipeg to shop and play. Ikea will be a huge traffic driver on weekends and evenings. Traffic along Kenaston now is heavy day and evenings and weekends alike.

Then there is this claim that most people will be traveling downtown. There may be a growth of new jobs downtown but I don't see it as the only place employment will grow.

Again, I ask, when should we build the infrastructure to deal with the growth of the city? Transit is great, but I don't see it being the panacea to future traffic flow problems. Not in Winnipeg. Not as long as we enjoy -30c and ton's of snow to contend with.

BTW Waverly West is projected to have a population of 40k~ when completed. If no other area of south Winnipeg grows during that time there will be at least that new population growth to consider...
I see what you're saying for sure. But, I think Winnipeg is in a great position to learn from the mistakes of others. We didn't build a freeway system (which would have dramatically changed a landscape of this city) like most other cities did in the 50s - 70s did. I see that as a positive. Many other cities are facing enormous problems as it becomes time to repair/maintain their free-way infrastructure. As you know, bridges/overpasses/flyovers cost a lot more to repair. For these reasons, cities all over north america are seriously discussing dismantling their networks, and bringing back at-grade intersections. I think that in 2010, with all that we know about rising oil prices/ huge infrastructure deficits/ the benefits of compact development, that we should seriously be looking at alternatives to the "freeway solution"... In 40 years from now, when driving could be MUCH more expensive than it is now, do we want to be stuck with a crumbling, auto-centred infrastructure that may very well be unnecessary? Just a thought...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

regent coridoor is probly the worst disaster and keniston will only get worse

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if anything part of keniston needs to be just a elevated express lane with exits every so far with normal traffic under it such as lage and regent area should be

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if anything part of keniston needs to be just a elevated express lane with exits every so far with normal traffic under it such as lage and regent area should be
Maybe they should do the opposite, and build a trench like Calgary did with the Glenmore Trail. That way the noise of a Kenaston Freeway would not interfere with the condos, and housing from the St.James bridge to Taylor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:38 AM

Too expensive to do a trench here. There's no natural drainage so it would need numerous pumping stations.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

indeed

and don't forget the retention ponds that would be needed

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

They would have to build it at grade and build retention walls (noise barriers) similar to what the CPT extension will have, as well as what existing areas have already, such as the existing wall on CPT south side, east of the river.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 9:27 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduy View Post
Well hope fully atleast Bishop will be free flow in the next 10 years. and c p t completed.
I would think your expectation would be about right. With the construction of the new interchange at Bishop and Rte90 starting this year, I'll look forward to seeing futher upgrades to Bishop in the coming years. As Winnipeg draws towards a million residents and the SW seeing significant growth I expect to see many more steps towards a modern expressway.

There is also little doubt that we will see many upgrades to Route 90. Since much of this route is bordered by established development it will be a challenge, but I am very confident the city and province will make the needed adjustments to make radical improvement to this major roadway.

The inner ring road has been a part of city plans for decades and it is great to finally see it made a priority.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know where one can look at a design plan for the new interchange at Kenaston and BG?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dig around the cities site through city councle meeting minuts bound to find some stuff there

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Does anyone know where one can look at a design plan for the new interchange at Kenaston and BG?

They are currently working on the design. I don't believe it has been released yet.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 5:19 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Kenaston turns into Bishop Grandin between Scurfield and Waverley.

Where is this interchange supposed to go?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 6:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Right at the bend in the hwy. Kenaston will continue south to the Perimeter. The only structure will be a flyover connecting south bound Kenaston with eastbound Bishop Grandin. I believe there will be lights for westbound Bishop Granding to the new southbound Kenaston Hwy.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 6:30 PM

Sounds like a similar thing Edmonton did many years ago with Whitemud and Terwilligar Drive.

All I can say is DON'T screw the design up like we did. NO left lane exits, build the interchange right the first time.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
Sounds like a similar thing Edmonton did many years ago with Whitemud and Terwilligar Drive.

All I can say is DON'T screw the design up like we did. NO left lane exits, build the interchange right the first time.
amen to that.

I hope they don't build the interchange similiar to the Lagimodiere/North Perimeter one. That intersection is a gong show. They should make it with no traffic lights whatsoever. Spend a bit of money and build an extra offramp. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
amen to that.

I hope they don't build the interchange similiar to the Lagimodiere/North Perimeter one. That intersection is a gong show. They should make it with no traffic lights whatsoever. Spend a bit of money and build an extra offramp. It will pay for itself in the long run.
That's the thing though. The current Whitemud/Terwilligar interchange has no lights and it still sucks because the city initially cheaped-out on an alignment that should have been a no-brainer.

I don't mean to hi-jack a Winnipeg thread here, but look at the current interchange here, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Don't make this mistake with your interchange design! Right-lane exits are more predictable to drivers, and don't require traffic to weave accross 2-3 lanes of traffic just to make an exit!

All this being said, I'm excited to see Bishop Grandin receive some upgrades. Go Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 8:46 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^That is my interpretation exactly of how i have been told and envision this thing eventually looking in the end. I'm sure something will happen like it always does here in Winnipeg and we will end up with a signalized intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan