HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
People and their beliefs Just had to say it. I'm with you somewhat though, I'd like to see more services on Sundays.

i think people should be able to take this day any day of the week

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:33 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i hate it i rather have sunday not be so messed up only reson why its the way it is, is because of religion
For me and many of my friends sunday its a familly day and a day of rest, and not religion. And NFL sunday lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:36 AM
I am a typical

Off peak transit here actually works better for me. I can get groceries in 40 minutes instead of 60, get uptown in 15 minutes instead of 25, extra buses run during the day on Sunday and in early evenings so it's actually easier to catch a bus then, if you miss one, another goes by in five minutes. The only bad thing about Sunday transit here is that it doesn't start until 8 am and ends at 10:40.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:36 AM
visionary

Quote:
i hate it i rather have sunday not be so messed up only reson why its the way it is, is because of religion
For me and many of my friends sunday its a familly day and a day of rest, and not religion.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 4:08 PM

Tender opening was held for the first contract on the rapid transit corridor (for land drainage works only, no road construction yet).

Nelson River - $5.1 million
Mulder - $5.9 million
Borland - $6.3 million
Tallieau - $8.6 million
Cambrian - $12.6 million

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
Don't you have para -transit for disabled people?

It would likely be cheaper to provide the marginal user a couple taxi vouchers and improve the speed for everyone else. Heck, even leave a milk run on the route once an hour and make the other runs only stop every 500m or so.
For the very disabled, sure. For the moderately disabled, no. And it doesn't work very well.

Are you going to pay for para-transit for 30,000 seniors?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:31 PM
Back from the dead

^^Are we sure about what we're building yet ? Not that this phase of the project depends on that really but sooner or later , if we're not sure of what's going in , we can't really do much other than some site prep.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

brt line built to be upgraded to lrt

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 11:28 PM
Back from the dead

^Yeah , it's just that with all the "insider information" about how we're not sure what type of rapid transit we're going for I'm wondering if there is at least any real debate going on in the mayor's office or if it's a settled issue.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

who knows but the city basicaly has a plan its going to tender with that the mayor is spouting on about somthing els witch could be another leg of the network...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 1:03 PM

Quote:
the mayor is spouting on about somthing
I haven't been in Winnipeg that long, but isn't that basically all the mayor does?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:17 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY and Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr5er4ueWBQ

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

huh? whats that got to do with anything jim?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:59 AM

I'm just bored.

I'm not picking on you this time.

Just feeling nostalgic for the old times.

Nothing much is happening with Transit, except the preliminary work.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

better then nothing though

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 2:53 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Winnipeggers' top concern? Roads, transit
Younger people evenly split

By: Bartley Kives

Younger Winnipeg adults are more likely than their older counterparts to consider rapid transit a priority, according to a new Probe Research poll commissioned by the Free Press.

Given the choice of approving just one infrastructure project in Winnipeg, 52 per cent of respondents to a March telephone survey of 600 adults selected road and bridge repairs as their priority, compared to 22 per cent who favoured the construction of a rapid-transit line, 21 per cent who chose to complete the city's $1.8-billion waste-water upgrade and a mere five per cent who valued a new football stadium for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers above the other three options.

While those numbers are not surprising, the picture changes dramatically when the sample is broken down by age, as Winnipeggers 18 to 34 are almost just as concerned about rapid transit as they are with road repairs, the survey suggests.

"That's something to know for the future," said Probe Research president Scott MacKay. "As the debate over rapid transit continues, the people who will really be driving this are the young people. Young people are greener, it would seem."

This summer, Winnipeg will begin to build the first phase of a $327-million, 9.6-kilometre bus corridor that will eventually connect downtown with the University of Manitoba.

The first phase, slated to be completed in 2011, is a $138-million, 3.6-kilometre span between Queen Elizabeth Way near The Forks and Jubilee Avenue near Pembina Highway. The expense includes a bridge over Osborne Street south of Confusion Corner, a tunnel under the CNR Fort Rouge Yards and the purchase or expropriation of 11 parcels of privately owned land along the corridor.

The city is borrowing $90 million to help pay for its share of the first phase of the project and doesn't expect to pay off the loan until 2039. Ottawa and the province have contributed a total of $45 million.

But the city has yet to determine how it will finance the $189-million second phase of the bus corridor. To that end, Mayor Sam Katz has asked Ottawa for $600 million to complete the corridor and also build an ultra-light rail tramway that would run from Queen Elizabeth Way through downtown to the University of Winnipeg.

While it's clear the majority of Winnipeggers see road and bridge repairs as their top priority, Mayor Sam Katz said he was pleased to see rapid transit and waste water each seem to be the top infrastructure priorities for a fifth of the populace.

"These are things that should be on the top of people's minds, because we're talking about them here at city hall and they're getting media attention," Katz said.

The city is in the midst of upgrading its three waste-water treatment facilities to reduce nutrient loading into the Lake Winnipeg watershed and is also replacing combined sewers with dedicated pipes for rainwater and sewage.

The poll was conducted before all three levels of government and Canwest vice-president David Asper announced a $135-million deal to build a new Canadian Football League stadium at the University of Manitoba, aided by $35 million from Ottawa and Broadway.

The nature of the survey, which forced respondents to choose just one infrastructure project when governments can in fact complete several simultaneously, should not be construed as suggesting Winnipeggers don't care about a new stadium for the Blue Bombers, MacKay said.

"People aren't saying 'We don't want one.' They're saying, 'If you're making us pick one thing, we have to pick the roads,'" said the pollster, noting the survey was carried out at a time of year when Winnipeggers are most concerned about roads. "When the snow retreats, we see how bad a shape the roads are in."

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca
How about this then? A tramway between QEW -> Downtown -> U of W

Last edited by hexrae; Apr 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:46 PM

I would be ecstatic to see this come to fruition as it is proposed. Seperated BRT corridor between the UofM and the QEW (with a major station at Jubilee), with ultra-light rail winding its way through the downtown proper to the UofW is a good option in my mind.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 9:30 PM

Ultra light-rail = Simpson's monorail.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:24 PM

No that would be a

"Genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!"

not exactly Ultra light

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 1:13 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I've heard there's monorails in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook..and by golly it sure put those places on the map!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan