HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Developer Wants To Build 18-Story Office Tower Next To Its Massive Equinox Hotel/Condo Skyscraper Project

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/10...for-west-loop/

Not sure where the reporter is getting his info. The zoning app definitely says 550 ft. on the elevation drawings.
Yea i saw that too...pretty much just bad reporting or missing the details as usual

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:48 PM

Is it just me or did the taller building get a lot wider in those elevations?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Is it just me or did the taller building get a lot wider in those elevations?
I think the tower has the same footprint it has always had. It is parallelogram in shape, so it's going to appear a lot wider in elevation from the north and south than it will look in perspective.

They may have reduced the height to help themselves in the public review process, a little give and take to show they are conceding something to the public, but it's also possible that they did it for financial reasons. The underlying zoning on the short tower is only DX-5 (Floor area ratio of 5) but they are requesting an FAR of 8.7. Reducing the FAR used on subarea A may have been necessary to reduce the amount needed to be paid to the city to increase the feasibility of the project.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:36 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Bumping this for reference to the 900 W Randolph thread.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 8:41 PM

From my 3d model.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 9:59 PM

Amazing amount of development there...love that 2nd shot got 1 chicago in it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:50 PM

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 11:40 PM
TL;DR

Interesting! That zoning application also shows Related's plan for the sidewalk on Randolph, which would get widened to somewhere around 40'-0" by eliminating the service drive! It's basically a mini plaza at that point. Should be a nice gateway to the West Loop for pedestrians, even if it's a little hair-raising crossing the onramp to get there.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I've always wondered what the name of those 4 matching brown highrises were. Are they purely residential? I never liked them. They look like public housing to me.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 12:22 AM

^Those are the Presidential Towers. They always remind me of China... They are not public housing, they are actually pretty nice I believe.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Thanks for the updated model, rgarri4.

The big height chop on this one from its original plan is pretty noticeable, unfortunately.

It'll still stand out plenty as the new tallest west of the Kennedy, but at 680', it really would have been a sight to see something that tall that far west.

Oh well, some other developer will have to eventually push the height envelope in the West loop somewhere down the road.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 10, 2019 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:04 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^Those are the Presidential Towers. They always remind me of China... They are not public housing, they are actually pretty nice I believe.
I considered living there. They are fairly nice. They claim to be the largest apartment complex in the US.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:46 AM

I do remember hearing that back in the day UIC had to put all thier residential students up at PT's because of mass abspetus outbreak in the dorms.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 8:36 AM

If anyone is interested, I encourage you to attend and support the project if you do. Speak up and out about maximizing all density and bonuses.

I'd absolutely go if I could, but I'll be traveling this time....

Alderman Walter Burnett, Jr. (27th Ward) and the West Loop Community Organization (WLCO) are hosting a Community Meeting to discuss the proposed amendment to Planned Development No. 1230/ project located at 725 West Randolph Street.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2020
6PM
REVEL FULTON MARKET
1215 WEST FULTON STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60607

Ona a side note: Hopefully at this meeting we'll have a more confirmed height for the main tower. I asked someone at RM about the shortening and I was told that it hadn't been...? Confused me because I stated that a zoning application stated differently, but I didn't get a chance to probe further.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 4:25 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Even if they just painted them different shades it would be a vast improvement in their appearance. All four buildings being the same color is not appealing.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 11:18 AM

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/01...ect-next-week/

Quote:
The developer also now wants to build more units in the Equinox hotel-condo. Although it was approved by City Council with 370 condos and 165 hotel rooms, Related Midwest now wants to build the 58-story, 615-foot-tall tower with 370 residential units and 240 hotel rooms.
So they want to increase the number of hotel rooms. I thought I'd heard this one was going to be going from condo to rental, but perhaps i was wrong.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this meeting on Tuesday in terms of numbers. We saw the documents that had the tower at 550'... but will that be the actual case?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/01...ect-next-week/

So they want to increase the number of hotel rooms. I thought I'd heard this one was going to be going from condo to rental, but perhaps i was wrong.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this meeting on Tuesday in terms of numbers. We saw the documents that had the tower at 550'... but will that be the actual case?

Hold on someone on this blog mention this mid November early December that the height was being raised and the developer want to add extra rooms , I suppose his source is reliable.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:49 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
They were one of the first things built in an effort to rehabilitate the "Skid Row" area in the West Loop. They were pretty nice when first constructed, and were built in the "city within a city" model popular when suburban people were still leery of living in the city. Through a couple different remodels, it has opened itself up more and more to the city and been less and less self-isolating.

I lived there for a month as part of a relocation package when I transferred back to Chicago after spending 30 months in Siberia ... I mean Minneapolis. It was a studio, and I frankly *hated* it. It was February, and the air in the building was Sahara-levels of dry - I would literally boil pots worth of water and run the shower for 30 minutes before I went to bed and still felt like I risked turning into a desiccated mummy overnight and the dryness contributed to my nose thinking it smelled cigarette smells coming from the vents.

My 30 days there are largely the reason I never want to live in a high rise. I like looking at high rises, I like working in high rises, and I don't mind visiting high rises, but I would never want to live in one. The only other time I've lived in a high rise was in 2018 I spent a month living in what used to be known as the Onterie Building in Streeterville, which was built in about the same era as the Presidential Towers and felt pretty similar to me.

I think modern high-rises are better about things like air quality and such, but I'm perfectly happy living in my vintage home.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 12:15 AM
Chicago

January 6, 2020

A current view of the site.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:25 AM

Ugh we know whats currently there. Any new news from the meeting tonight?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals