HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Miapolis in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 2:40 AM
FUS RO DAH!

if its ugly, better to stay low I say!

same thing happened with that horrible proposal for São Paulo, mid 90s... for a 500m tall horrible building...

better that your tallest is 180m than have a 500m eyesore that can be seen from anywhere in the city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I would think they might want to rethink that decision, and perhaps use....say....MIAMI.... as the backdrop.

Duh.

This is the link to their site.
http://www.miapoliscity.com/
LOl, but Chicago's skyline looks so goooooood!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 7:58 PM

How many hurricanes could this thing survive? One, two at the most? Engineers have a tough enough time trying to simulate the effects of wind at that altitude (about 150 mph). How on earth could you predict how the structure would react if it was hit with 250+ mph gusts? While I'm all for Darwinism and watching idiots remove themselves from the gene pool, I think it would be cruel to let them build something this dangerous and expensive in an obviously dangerous location. Does the architect have plans to build a sister tower on the San Andreas fault line too?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 7:29 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboarder84 View Post
How many hurricanes could this thing survive? One, two at the most? Engineers have a tough enough time trying to simulate the effects of wind at that altitude (about 150 mph). How on earth could you predict how the structure would react if it was hit with 250+ mph gusts? While I'm all for Darwinism and watching idiots remove themselves from the gene pool, I think it would be cruel to let them build something this dangerous and expensive in an obviously dangerous location. Does the architect have plans to build a sister tower on the San Andreas fault line too?
The boundary layer is typically about 1400', and above that height wind speed stops increasing. Wind tunnel tests are done to confirm the results of simulations. No skyscraper has ever collapsed due to wind. The interaction of wind and skyscrapers has been studied quite extensively. I have no doubt that the structural plans for this proposal are sound.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 5:30 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I like it. That aerial render showing it in context on the island immediately brings to mind the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria. I hope they pull this off. Even if Jedda Tower goes forward and steals the crown, we would at least have reaffirmed that the US is still a player.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
I like it. That aerial render showing it in context on the island immediately brings to mind the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria. I hope they pull this off. Even if Jedda Tower goes forward and steals the crown, we would at least have reaffirmed that the US is still a player.
We need extravaganze in Miami.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
The old Verticus vision was much better looking.

WHy the projected is never being built? What about FAA height restrictions? Why they can't have a being built newest super tallest building. I wasn't sure about this one. Can they will ever being built newest tallest building?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:04 PM

Actually if you look at the building the building would be able to past wind testing. From watching extreme engineering, and reading on engineering and architecture the hollow areas in the center of the building would allow the wind to past through the building. If that wasn't there the wind would blow directly onto the side of the building which would cause an uncomfortable amount of swaying at that height.

The real problem as of now would be aesthetics, and the FAA. Would the FAA allow such a tall building to be built?, Is the building good looking to most people?, What is the buildings safety features? (Especially since it's safety would have to past post-911 safety, and partially due to the height too.), What is the buildings fire codes, and fire safety since firefighters won't be able to run 3,200 feet up to put out a fire?, and Would the building survive a plane impact, or a car bombing since it would most likely become a terrorist's target if it's built?.

Clearly though I can see that these people are trying to build this building so it would be somewhat like the Empire State Building of Miami. Of course this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it would be a good thing. Plus my one of my aunts lives in Miami so I would have some say in this building. One of the thing I find about the building is clearly it's not very attractive. It would be better if they spruced it up a bit. As of now the building would literally turn Biscayne Bay into a giant scar mark.

Also I will quote from the original Miapolis video ("It will redefine how cities are built") reminds me of Skycity 1000. How this would redefine urban planning is in the future everyone would be literally living inside a skyscraper. Hopefully one day when mankind build these supertall cities all the former blocks of a city would turned into open space.

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Jan 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 1:31 AM

Do you guys have any news lately? Hasn't they gotten an approved yet?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 1:24 PM

^ dave8721 said it best in post #11 :

More of a vision/fantasy than a real proposal. For one the guy doesn't even own the land that he is proposing this on. Plus the FAA has a 1049 foot cap on Downtown Miami due to its proximity to the airport. Will never happen.

Besides Watson Island is mostly built out and the state is building the $1 billion Port of Miami tunnel right through the middle of the island as we speak.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 1:46 AM
BANNED

But someday, it will happen.
someday, somehow, somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 2:11 PM

Not sure how I originally got linked here to the Miapolis thread, but I occasionally check back in on it to see if there's any activity. I was surprised when I checked today and saw a few new posts. It had been almost a year!!!

But a bit disappointed to read that realistically it's more of a "vision/fantasy". I do however like skycraperfan's optimism!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
But someday, it will happen.
someday, somehow, somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Miapolis will become the dynasty of miami's greatness.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
BANNED

This will definitely strength the greatness of miami.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 7:03 PM

Highly unlikely to happen. Crazy stuff.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 7:34 PM

That's one crazy looking building! Possible candidate for the first ever building to get knocked down by a hurricane?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 8:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
That's one crazy looking building! Possible candidate for the first ever building to get knocked down by a hurricane?
I Don't think so, it's hurricane proof and It will also be energy efficient.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywill View Post
i do not care what every one says i think that it ausome and beautiful
I second that opinion! Florida, without any hills/mountains, they need something like this as a focus! Yup! See it lit up at night all the way from Fort Myers or Key West!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Miapolis will get built one day.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:53 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
The old Verticus vision was much better looking.

We are in agreement here, even though it looks like something out of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. The height limit in downtown Miami is actually 1,010 feet because of the proximity to MIA. The FAA would have never allowed this tower to stand on Watson Island. That is what led me to believe the developer wasn't really serious. It would have to have been built farther north away from MIA flight paths and runways and outside of downtown Miami. There is a large piece of property in northeast Miami that could have held it and outside of MIA flight paths, but well away from the CBD and financial district.

The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Two-Towers by QuantumX, on Flickr
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects