HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 42 30.66%
Agree 33 24.09%
Undecided / Neutral 19 13.87%
Disagree 16 11.68%
Strongly Disagree 27 19.71%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:15 PM

You’d be misremembering if you’re remembering that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedTheTracks View Post
To the extent that this argument matters, most (all?) geographers would put Sochi in Europe -- so it's North America's turn, if one wishes to ignore Africa, South America, and Australia/New Zealand.
My point about the IOC was political based upon past history but I guess most (all?) would not agree with your geography. But maybe the Sochi ski hill was in Europe? Calgary 2030 anyone?

The Southern part of European Russia has some small areas that are geographically south of the Caucasus Mountain range, and therefore are geographically in Asia; this includes the city of Sochi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
You’d be misremembering if you’re remembering that.
Not at all. Don't buy the spin from the current group that claims their bid was the most transparent ever. It was nothing but a group of Nenshi political insiders trying to cash in personally at the expense of taxpayers. This was a big reason why many voted no.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Good to see the majority of voters saw past the propaganda machine and piss poor budget proposal and voted no.
Not to mention essentially nothing major in terms of facilities, facilities we don't need, and the sharing of events with other places one of which hates us and is trying to destroy our economy. Time to move on and build the facilities we actually need.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
The Southern part of European Russia has some small areas that are geographically south of the Caucasus Mountain range, and therefore are geographically in Asia; this includes the city of Sochi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia
I sit corrected, thank you.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Whatever happened to the can-do attitude in this city? Frank King must be rolling over in his grave. Sad day for Calgary...
Was thinking the same thing this morning. Definitely not the city I grew up 30 mins away from back in the 80's.

It's not the end of the world... but I think it would have been nice to have something like the Olympics again for all the new generations since mine to experience.

Here's hoping we at least see a new arena & stadium in the next few years. But I'm not holding my breath with that either!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:58 PM
Near Generational

While I'm disappointed with the result, I was happy to see the turnout.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogger View Post
+1
+2

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:04 PM

The vote's over time to move on. People like Suburbia can choke on that for a while though. After all the propaganda spouting it's time to suck it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:07 PM

As long as I don't see vocal No supporters now advocating for things that were to be paid for via the Olympic contribution, all is good. I suspect though the next while will be full of surprise that the funding for some things does not exist without the Olympics, but so it goes.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As long as I don't see vocal No supporters now advocating for things that were to be paid for via the Olympic contribution, all is good. I suspect though the next while will be full of surprise that the funding for some things does not exist without the Olympics, but so it goes.
Fully agree. The vote has been had and there is no appetite for new tax dollars for things. The subgroup now pushing for a new arena for three times the cost to Calgary tax payers as the entire Olympics really needs to be called out. Their whole beef seemed to be that the benefits were too broad and not focused on the Flames billionaires. The 2030 option that is being touted is such a sham. If it is a no, it should definitely be a no to even larger and riskier boondoggles.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
How about Vancouver fucks off and sinks already.
Wait, what? Huh?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:18 PM
HVAC guru

^ there’s a misconception that Vancouverites hate Calgary. But the truth is that Calgary is inconsequential to most Vancouverites so they really just don’t care about Calgary.

Edmonton has the same complex about Calgary as Calgary has about Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg66 View Post
The vote's over time to move on. People like Suburbia can choke on that for a while though. After all the propaganda spouting it's time to suck it.
This won't be a good day for Suburbia, the unofficial minister of propaganda for the yes vote.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
All of us who were opposed never wanted those things. Like we really need to spend $400 million on sports facilities? The money should go to something useful like helping people who are homeless.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat loser View Post
All of us who were opposed never wanted those things. Like we really need to spend $400 million on sports facilities? The money should go to something useful like helping people who are homeless.
Infrastructure that would have been built faster as part of the Olympics, such as affordable housing, in both Calgary and Canmore, will now take much longer to build.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Infrastructure that would have been built faster as part of the Olympics, such as affordable housing, in both Calgary and Canmore, will now take much longer to build.
Oh please. We can build affordable housing quicker and cheaper than doing it for the olympics.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
To say the $390M was just sports facilities is disingenuous. The legacy included over 1,000 low income housing units.

Given that Calgary has backed out from the deal, we won't be able to leverage in this fashion, so the low income housing units are off the table. Calgarians voted against them. C'est la vie.

Quote:
Oh please. We can build affordable housing quicker and cheaper than doing it for the olympics.
Can't really do it cheaper as once you work in all of the value adds that were on the table and look at our proposed investment, it would be costing 10 cents to the dollar with all the funds coming in. As I mentioned, Calgarians voted against the low income housing units (as well as facilities and jobs and economic spinoffs). C'est la vie.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
The need for a field house, new arena and new stadium has never had anything to do with the Olympics other in the manipulative minds of Yes supporters. I fully expect that group of people to go out of their way to sabotage any efforts to build those badly needed facilities.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Fully agree. The vote has been had and there is no appetite for new tax dollars for things. The subgroup now pushing for a new arena for three times the cost to Calgary tax payers as the entire Olympics really needs to be called out. Their whole beef seemed to be that the benefits were too broad and not focused on the Flames billionaires. The 2030 option that is being touted is such a sham. If it is a no, it should definitely be a no to even larger and riskier boondoggles.
Who's advocating for a $1.2 billion arena? It's over the top lies like this why many voted No. Thank God the province forced a plebiscite on the city b/c otherwise Nenshi and his gang would have had his unethical pollster come up with some scam numbers to try and convince people that there was broad support for this plan. Nenshi's lucky the City Charter doesn't include recall power...hopefully that will change long before his term is up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy