HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 4:35 PM

Interesting rig. Track mounted or something? Looks like it's a trailier. Never seen one of those before.

On the soil conditions. I'm used to working in contaminated areas. So when I see a black layer like that below ground, instantly think of coal or creosote. For an old bus depot, school, whatever was there, could've been some old pollution. But I like the topsoil answer better. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the photos cllew.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:52 PM

the drill rig is on skids (so is the geologists field shed next to it) and has a triangle hitch frame on the front.

I never see it being moved but i would guess its being dragged around the site by one of the loaders or by a chain from the bucket off of one of the excavators.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 8:47 PM

Looks like another crawler crane being assembled in the "pit" today. Not sure what its for as I don't see a foundation pad poured for PCL to start erecting a tower crane.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 9:01 PM

I noticed in one of your pictures there were some cones down in the pit. There appeared to be some kind of collapse around one of them. Any idea whats in there? 4 cones in the mud behind the 2 parked loaders. Looks like there is some type of caisson or piles in the ground. Can kind of see circular mark.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I noticed in one of your pictures there were some cones down in the pit. There appeared to be some kind of collapse around one of them. Any idea whats in there? 4 cones in the mud behind the 2 parked loaders. Looks like there is some type of caisson or piles in the ground. Can kind of see circular mark.
Not sure what the structures in the holes are for.

They were drilled and I can't recall if they were filled with a re-bar cage or just a I beam before the concrete was placed. They were covered with a tarp and heated for a few days and then the hole was backfilled with some of the clay they were taking from the other side of the pit and run over a few times with the loader to tamp them.

As soon as the rain came they started to turn into sinkholes and got the cone protection.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 6:32 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:55 PM

Update Pic on TNS - March 28, 2016

http://www.truenorthsquare.com/devel...ructionupdate/

* Thx for the previous pics Jeremy6

Last edited by Cyro; Mar 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:59 PM

Are they not going to dig the basement from Graham right to the church property line?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:02 PM

Slowly working their way from north to south with the hole. Photo must have been taken around the same time I was walking by this morning. The excavator and truck right at the centre of the photo were digging away at the face. Looks like the piling rig right at the church is finishing off the last of the shoring piles.

The parkade seemed to span the entire site in the renderings. But I believe the lower level of the two was slightly smaller.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:16 AM

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is anything happening on the second lot, by the convention center?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is anything happening on the second lot, by the convention center?
I was there 10 days ago and it is just a parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
I was down there today. They have removed all of the trailers and parked construction vehicles from the site. The site is now completely empty. It looks like they might be prepping for something to happen.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was down there today. They have removed all of the trailers and parked construction vehicles from the site. The site is now completely empty. It looks like they might be prepping for something to happen.
I noticed that... I thought it maybe had to do with the extremely muddy conditions of the site since the melt began?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:49 PM
What could go wrong?

From this morning....by me

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Mar 30, 2016 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:17 PM

Are those garages part of the church?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's their property... they control the whole strip of St. Mary Ave. frontage.

If you look at the renderings, there will be a parkway in that area. It appears to go up and over where the garages are located. I'm interested to know exactly what will be happening there.

Seems TNS and the church have talked and are doing something together at that spot.

Quote:
Yes. Part of the small lot there that they own. There's also a lane in behind them that goes down to a few additional parking spots that are located at the west side of the building there.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:27 PM

Weird.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Weird.
There used to be a church-related building at one point on that site... a school, an office or a residence for clergy, I'm not sure exactly what. It's gone but the land still belongs to the church.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan