HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 9:58 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Heard in on the grapevine that MPI's service centre in northeast corner of cityplace is moving down to the south wing past Rexall so a restaurant can go in the NE corner.

This would be fantastic news if it happens.
This immediately came to mind.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 2:35 AM

I wonder how many more beer 'n wings or casual dining places that area can support... it's getting pretty saturated. At this point I'd expect that a new one opening will just mean that another one will close.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Very elegant and welcoming.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 4:47 AM

This immediately came to mind.

I love this redo of City Place formerly Eaton Place.
This should have been what the did back in 1979 or even afterwards to invite people in.
This is a fabulous lo0ok and would be a great addition to true North Square and the area.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 5:50 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder how many more beer 'n wings or casual dining places that area can support... it's getting pretty saturated. At this point I'd expect that a new one opening will just mean that another one will close.
Good! Get a little competition going, maybe they will step up their games!

It would have seemed impossible even 10 years ago that we would have saturated business anywhere downtown.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 9:56 PM

They do all tend to be packed on game nights. As long as Tavern can still reach capacity with its terrible food I'd say there's latent demand. And keep in mind: these places are in a growing market.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
They do all tend to be packed on game nights. As long as Tavern can still reach capacity with its terrible food I'd say there's latent demand. And keep in mind: these places are in a growing market.
1 meal per day sold at the Tavern indicates latent demand. I don't understand how they are able to get away with it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
1 meal per day sold at the Tavern indicates latent demand. I don't understand how they are able to get away with it.
LOL

I ate at Tavern United twice, with the last occasion being about 10 years ago. That was enough. Since then I've only ever consumed beer while in there.

Anyway, biguc has a point, demand probably will grow with TNS taking shape.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
I half wonder if Chipman will bring the seeming popular Ye's concept to the SHED in the coming years. It would definitely be different that beer, wings and burgers yet should still be able to pull in a decent crowd. It could also play well to the daytime lunch traffic in downtown.

And as much as the beer, wings and burgers concept is overplayed in the area right now it feels like there is room for someone to come in and truly knock it out of the park. The Tavern has such a prime location if True North and Ticketmaster move their offices the TNS it would be a good opportunity to shut down and do a reno. Take the general concept up about three levels. If possible also make a deal of some sort with TNS so that on game/event days at least part of the converted Tavern, if not the whole thing, is classified as being inside MTS Centre. Not sure how exactly to pull that off with walkways but make it happen.

Another concept I think could do reasonable well in the SHED would be a Mongolian grill place. They exist all over the place under different brands with the local one being Mongo's Grill.

Some of the fast casual type of places would play really well in the SHED too. For whatever reason they are really slow to make in roads in this market. Not sure of a specific name but a fast casual Italian place in the SHED doing more non-pizza stuff could find a market.

The last thought is bring a high end yet more fast food style burger place to the SHED. Something like Unburger, Five Guys, FatBurger, SmashBurger, Shake Shack, etc. Yes, it treads on that same beer, wings and burger market but clearly the target demo is looking for that so give it to them.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:25 PM

^ Very good points. A little variety would be nice... now that you mention it, even one of those upscale fast food type joints like Five Guys, Qdoba, Fatburger would provide a bit of a change. It would fill the gap between the sit-down places like BP, Moxie's and Merchant Kitchen, and the food court fast food joints.

I'm not saying I want downtown Winnipeg to become overrun with fast food, but it is actually kind of amazing that there are so few streetfront fast food operations in the area. A couple of Subways and Tim Hortons locations are pretty much it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:53 PM

I bet TNS will have a Stella's.

A 24 hour downtown Salisbury would kick my drunk ass.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:18 PM
BANNED

An "urban" Sals, perhaps more diner-like would be a great addition, or a diner like Zak's in Ottawa's Byward would be popular.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying I want downtown Winnipeg to become overrun with fast food, but it is actually kind of amazing that there are so few streetfront fast food operations in the area. A couple of Subways and Tim Hortons locations are pretty much it.
There is definitely a huge gap between McDonalds, Tims and Subway and the rest of what is downtown. Five Guys, Qboda and a bunch of banners we don't have cover that ground. Actually a number of years back I actually wondered why there wasn't a Little Caesar's downtown. Quality of their product aside, the model they run is perfect for an audience looking for something cheap that is ready when you walk in the door. One of the things these type of higher end fast food places have going is they tend to work in smaller footprints.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Little Caesars deep dish is pretty darn good.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:11 PM
Ignore these four words.

I'm all for options. I believe McDonald's, BurgerKing, Wendy's, etc., all have a place and should have a place in downtown, particularly the SHED district. After all, variety and choice is the spice of life.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:14 PM

I don't think it's reasonable to expect every restaurant downtown to be some hip, chic, micro brew pub. Or the like. Basic crap fast food places have a place in society, otherwise they wouldn't exist. I like Wendy's!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:14 PM
BANNED

A storefront McDonalds or Fatburger would be great.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:03 PM

I kind of miss the Portage Place Burger King, although I suppose my health is better off for it not being there...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
I kind of miss the Portage Place Burger King, although I suppose my health is better off for it not being there...
It would have been better off in / near the food court. Where it was located was sort of out of the way and didn't generate as much traffic as it could have.

Even moving it down to the main floor may have increased traffic if the mall owners really wanted it at the west end of the mall.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:31 PM

^^ The west end of the main floor was set aside for a tower lobby. That said the second floor Burger King location was brutal. Hope TNS learns some lessons and focuses food on ground level. I know out in the Glendale version of the SHED concept the second floor locations are mostly vacant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan