HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:47 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I have to think the inflated cost of living of California will have to come crashing down at some point. I am from the northeast originally and while many places there are off the charts in terms of costs, it's highly concentrated in a few desirable areas; NYC, DC, Boston, upscale coastal towns, etc. where as pretty much all of CA west of the CV is expensive.
only one "problem..."

www.researchgate.net

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:52 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Nobody lives in California anymore--it's too crowded!

Fires, earthquakes, high living costs. It's the title of this "city" discussion. Let's see:

Fires--As California's climate warmed and dried out, the arsonist-profiteers at PG&E chose to shovel billions of dollars into executives' and investors' wallets, instead of into basic maintenance needed to prevent their calamitous explosions and wildfires.

Earthquakes--Clearly, Earth's plate tectonics prove God shares forum conservatives' sick desire to savor the pain and suffering of California progressives.

High living costs--The exodus out of California is nearly complete! Since all working and middle class Californians have already left, and because literally nobody can afford to move in to replace them, this state of 40,000,000 residents is now abandoned, and riddled with worthless properties. Even our finest mansions and penthouses sit worthless and empty. That's what happens when there is an exodus!

And it's all because those woke progressives keep triggering fuckin' earthquakes. #Troof

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Weren't you the same guy who was sensitive about Phoenix's skyline?
I don't think you're the one to talk about that.

I'm 100% postiive if Calfiornians wanted to blast the south for all of its negatives on here, there would be the same "senstivity".
Sensitive? No. I was in a disagreement, but that's primarily a subjective debate.

This is not a subjective discussion as you seem to think. Again As I have stated none of what I am saying is my "opinion" its the cold hard reality of the state of California right now which for some reason you seem intent on taking personally as If I am attacking you that people are moving out of the state.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Earthquakes--Clearly, Earth's plate tectonics prove God shares forum conservatives' sick desire to savor the pain and suffering of California progressives.
The deity of the Judean people? Nah, it's Shiva's doing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:59 PM

Apparently fires and earthquakes are God's plan to destroy liberals as he leaves red states alone from natural disasters.

I mean....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Sensitive? No. I was in a disagreement, but that's primarily a subjective debate.

This is not a subjective discussion as you seem to think. Again As I have stated none of what I am saying is my "opinion" its the cold hard reality of the state of California right now which for some reason you seem intent on taking personally as If I am attacking you that people are moving out of the state.
Because for the 100th time, you're giving YOUR OPINION why people are leaving. You don' t know all those people, so why keep stating it as fact?

Lets try it again.

YOU. DON'T. KNOW. WHY. PEOPLE. ARE. LEAVING.

You guess. I guess. It's that damn simple.

You think people cant wait to get out because of beause of polciies, politics, homelessness (?) etc
I think they're priced out and MOST would rather not go if they could afford it.

Opinions.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:08 PM
A Man In Dandism

I think it's pretty safe to say that the main reason for the majority of people leaving is cost of living. People aren't moving to other places because they have better weather, less natural disasters, less homelessness, and more diversity. They're moving to other places and willing to tolerate worse weather, a different type of natural disaster, and less diversity so they can afford to buy a house or rent an apartment without always needing to live paycheck to paycheck.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Because for the 100th time, you're giving YOUR OPINION why people are leaving. You don' t know all those people, so why keep stating it as fact?

Lets try it again.

You think people cant wait to get out because of beause of polciies, politics, homelessness (?) etc
I think they're priced out and MOST would rather not go if they could afford it.

Opinions.
OKay bud.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's exactly why my reaction is the way it is. These conservatives actually cheer on wildfires when they're happening on social media. They hope (pray?) for 8.0 earthquakes.
It's disgusting. I have zero respect for this stuff.
Can you imagine if liberals laughed at Florida's misery with hurricanes and Texas floods?

They're awful people.

I was in Chicago when it seemed like they were celebrating Chicago murders because Obama was in office and he somehow had something to do with it.
I have no idea how those people think.
Don't worry about those fools. People who cheer for the destruction of California to "own the libs" are largely morons who couldn't even spell California. Also, as more people flee CA to other states, the better the odds are of those recipient states becoming blue. See Arizona and Nevada for evidence of this in action.

I will admit that I really hate the political crap I constantly read about coming out of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and of course Alabama. I can't understand why people would want to live in states with such hateful and backwards political climates. But I would never, ever wish harm or damage to those states. When hurricanes or tornadoes strike those places, I've never considered withholding donations just because their politicians and the majority of the state's population has political views radically different than my own. It's sick to see the other side be so hateful towards California, but not surprising. Just remember, the vast majority of people aren't on those extremes, and try to filter out that shit as best you can. Don't let it get to you.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think it's pretty safe to say that the main reason for the majority of people leaving is cost of living. People aren't moving to other places because they have better weather, less natural disasters, less homelessness, and more diversity. They're moving to other places and willing to tolerate worse weather, a different type of natural disaster, and less diversity so they can afford to buy a house or rent an apartment without always needing to live paycheck to paycheck.
Nah everyone knows the spiraling housing costs are due to everyone wanting to leave

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:14 PM
A Man In Dandism

It's also not that people "can't wait to get out" of California. I'm pretty sure they've exhausted all their options, reached a tipping point, and they have no choice but to leave. In that sense, then yes, for those people, the "California Dream" is dying.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Don't worry about those fools. People who cheer for the destruction of California to "own the libs" are largely morons who couldn't even spell California. Also, as more people flee CA to other states, the better the odds are of those recipient states becoming blue. See Arizona and Nevada for evidence of this in action.

I will admit that I really hate the political crap I constantly read about coming out of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and of course Alabama. I can't understand why people would want to live in states with such hateful and backwards political climates. But I would never, ever wish harm or damage to those states. When hurricanes or tornadoes strike those places, I've never considered withholding donations just because their politicians and the majority of the state's population has political views radically different than my own. It's sick to see the other side be so hateful towards California, but not surprising. Just remember, the vast majority of people aren't on those extremes, and try to filter out that shit as best you can. Don't let it get to you.
True. Yea, one Florida guy called Californians "yankees" as an insult because he wasn't happy Californian's were mad he was cheering the wildfires.
That's what we're dealing with, I guess.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
It's also not that people "can't wait to get out" of California. I'm pretty sure they've exhausted all their options, reached a tipping point, and they have no choice but to leave. In that sense, then yes, for those people, the "California Dream" is dying.
And thats what I mean by priced out. It sucks, and who knows, I might be one day. If so, Chicago isn't a bad option.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
If so, Chicago isn't a bad option.
but the weather is worse than siberia, taxes are out of control, and everyone gets shot everyday.

every place is terrible if you listen to the internet.

fortunately, us normal people inhabit the real world, not the imagined nightmare hellscape of the internet troll mind.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:36 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i wouldnt say that chicago weather is worse than siberia, just regular siberian.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:43 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Do most Californians moving to Minn. adjust well to the cold winters? Or do they whine about them? When they move to Phoenix, Las Vegas and the big Texas cities I'm sure the ex-Californians whine about the summer heat, at least the ones from the coast. The ones coming from Fresno are used to the heat.
I've never heard any of them complain about the cold per se but a few of them hate driving in the snow and don't seem to be very good at it. The thing that seems to freak them all out is how quickly the weather can change in the spring and fall when we go from 70 and sunny to a snow storm in 24 hours.

The Twin Cities have roughly the same pay scale for service jobs as the Bay Area or LA but housing costs are a half to a third what they are in California and most of the public schools are good so I think that goes a long way towards overcoming the weather. Working class transplants tend to be here for practical reasons.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i wouldnt say that chicago weather is worse than siberia, just regular siberian.
yeah.

currently it's 50° F in Chicago and 12° F in Yakutsk.

that's basically the same thing.

to a californian.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Lets try it again.

Opinions.
Haven’t you heard? They survey every person who has left the state and 100% of people have said it is cost of living and the state of politics. Yeah. Not one said “job transfer” or “family reasons” or anything like that. Not one. Even the children cited the outrageous taxes on candy and politicians more interested in serving Wall Street than Sesame Street.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:01 PM

Not dead.

I do think that California has significant problems that need to be solved. But since it's the world's innovation capital, I have faith that these environmental problems can be solved.

I would love to relocate to San Francisco, and am considering it for 2020. I understand the ups and downs of California and specifically the Bay Area, but I still consider the potential benefits more compelling than the bad stuff.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Corners View Post
Haven’t you heard? They survey every person who has left the state and 100% of people have said it is cost of living and the state of politics. Yeah. Not one said “job transfer” or “family reasons” or anything like that. Not one. Even the children cited the outrageous taxes on candy and politicians more interested in serving Wall Street than Sesame Street.
There's no sales tax on candy in California.

Here you go:

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions