HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a thread at the bottom of the main page in forum issues u can report that in suggest u do

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Yes, happens all the time but only on my iPad. My pc works fine. Switching off JavaScript cures the problem.
Mine's been doing that on my computer but for Google this week. Never happened before. Could be malware on SSP so just be careful not to click anything.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:44 PM
What could go wrong?

I had it, but again...only on my Ipad.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:40 PM

Uptown Theatre (Redevelopment)
Developers: Globe property management
Architect(s)/Engingeers: Nejmark Architect
Construction Manager: Concord Projects Ltd
Completion: Unknown
Description: The Uptown Theatre is a historic gem, located in the heart of the walkable Academy Road commercial area in River Heights. Redevelopment plans of this historic former theatre and bowling alley into a mixed-use development include 23 residential rental units ranging from 800 to 1,020 square feet, 4,000 sq. ft. of office space on the second floor and two ground-level retail storefronts.
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=166
Media: New life for River Heights landmark, Developer has vision for former theatre, bowling alley

Quote:

looks like renovations are officially underway at the old Academy Lanes
https://twitter.com/lornehanks/statu...818046978?s=20

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:00 PM

Was reading the variance application for 3021 Pembina as they want to increase the two tower heights from 180' to 215' (now 16 storey and 236' (now 18 storey). Was surprised to read that you can't build higher than 200' in any zoning category in the city outside downtown (as per below).

But since the planners already agreed to vary the height limit on Pembina from 100' to 180' for this project, they are now basically saying we have to vary again (and have some shadow studies to support that the massing is not significantly worse for shadows).

Anyway, a variance of a variance to go from 100' to 236' seems like quite a big ask. Will be interesting to see how Assiniboine Community Committee handles it next week.

Quote:
The proposed building heights greater than 200 feet are not permitted in any zoning category under the Winnipeg Zoning By-law. Only in the downtown area of the city, which is under a separate zoning by-law, are building heights greater than 200 feet permitted as-of-right. These regulations on building height in the Winnipeg Zoning By-law are intended to support the downtown area of the city as the place for high levels of development, including tall buildings, as per policies in the Complete Communities Direction Strategy.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 11:45 PM

Academy Uptown Lanes

Wow, that brought a flashback, I remember going bowling there for a friend's birthday way back in the 80's... moved away a couple years after and have ever since tried to remember where that was exactly.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:06 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
That's interesting.

Kudos to the current owners, they have done invaluable work to shine up the Fort Garry after years of neglect. But it does seem as though they've hit a wall in the last 10-15 years. The place is not really improving anymore.

It will be interesting to see whether a deep pocketed buyer who can put in the money it would take to realize the Fort Garry's potential can get hold of it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:01 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's interesting.

Kudos to the current owners, they have done invaluable work to shine up the Fort Garry after years of neglect. But it does seem as though they've hit a wall in the last 10-15 years. The place is not really improving anymore.

It will be interesting to see whether a deep pocketed buyer who can put in the money it would take to realize the Fort Garry's potential can get hold of it.
It would be good if someone like Fairmont would attempt to take over. They have a thing going with the old railway hotels across the country and all of those that I've ever been inside seem to be kept in impeccable condition. That said they still have their building on Portage. Perhaps some other major hotelier would want a crack. The Fort Garry is located quite well for tourists and business people alike. I could see it being hugely successful for any chain wanting to establish a true luxury hotel in Winnipeg.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:22 PM

People I work with that come in for business stay at the Fort Garry. They like it better than the Delta or others, even though it's a bit further of a walk to the office. Rates are very reasonable as well.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 9:06 PM

pray for the sake of all that is holy that canadinns doesn't get its mitts on it

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 9:09 PM
the first stamp is free

^ maybe they can set up an Altos in there and get the Sunday brunch back in operation...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
pray for the sake of all that is holy that canadinns doesn't get its mitts on it
Canad Inns needs a major overhaul of all its older properties, the fake weird, maybe it’s real foliage, dated furniture, dated everything.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It would be good if someone like Fairmont would attempt to take over. They have a thing going with the old railway hotels across the country and all of those that I've ever been inside seem to be kept in impeccable condition. That said they still have their building on Portage. Perhaps some other major hotelier would want a crack. The Fort Garry is located quite well for tourists and business people alike. I could see it being hugely successful for any chain wanting to establish a true luxury hotel in Winnipeg.
Fairmont was bought by French giant Accor. However, generally speaking, all the major chains are "asset lite". They provide the brand standards, the booking engines, etc., but leave the building and owning of properties to others.

Someone would buy the Fort Garry and then hopefuly sign a deal with one of the major chains.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 4:54 AM

We need to open Portage and main here so past ideas there about 85 idea here at my flickr account I am huge fan of opening Portage and main to have more green space and new business to be more active downtown. i have a 
Forum all about Portage and main proposals If you want to check it out

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182470927@N07/page1

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 6:57 AM

The Winnipeg Hotel

The Winnipeg Hotel closed today and the Pollards took possession of the building in anticipation of turning it into a boutique hotel.

Winnipeg Hotel (Heritage restoration)
Developer: John Pollard
Architect: Unit 7 Architecture
Contractor: Jilmark Construction Ltd.
Media: Closing time for Winnipeg Hotel
Renderings & Construction pics:https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=167
Description: The hotel at 214 Main St. opened in 1881, it was purchased three years ago by a holding company fronted by John Pollard, co-chief executive officer of Pollard Banknote Ltd, plans are to refurbish the building and redevelop it into a boutique hotel. Pollard anticipates it could take as long as three years to complete the renovations on the Winnipeg Hotel.
A Brief History of the Winnipeg Hotel

The Winnipeg Hotel in 2019

The Winnipeg Hotel in 1903

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:24 PM

Fantastic news on renovating Winnipeg Hotel, Pollards did an amazing job next door.

I drive by the hotel Fort Gary daily and both mornings and afternoons they have lots of what I would call business traffic. When I travel for work 5 to 6 times a year I will only stay at hotels that are associated with a chain so I can get points. I think if one of the chains like Hyatt or Marriott or Hilton bought hotel Fort Gary it would be even more popular

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:57 PM

^^ Great news about the Pollards buying the Winnipeg Hotel! I feel that strip of Main Street just became hugely desirable as a destination, and I think could inspire some development across the street. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes of their work.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Fantastic news on renovating Winnipeg Hotel, Pollards did an amazing job next door.

I drive by the hotel Fort Gary daily and both mornings and afternoons they have lots of what I would call business traffic. When I travel for work 5 to 6 times a year I will only stay at hotels that are associated with a chain so I can get points. I think if one of the chains like Hyatt or Marriott or Hilton bought hotel Fort Gary it would be even more popular
Fairmont tends to prefer older character hotels. So should that happen with Fort Garry, Westin who wanted to come back to our market might grab it and run it again. unless they want to wait til 416 main gets built in the next 5 years and re-enter The Winnipeg Hotel market then? Like mentioned, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott all great candidates.
It was mentioned here that Delta might be considering a newer building as well?
On a separate note, seems the Signature Sheraton and Ramada brands are rarely being built, branded or mentioned any longer

Last edited by BAKGUY; Oct 6, 2019 at 5:44 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
That explains a lot – I heard this week that the Yoga Public building (which they also own) was for sale, which I thought was odd considering the Albo's just bought the Vendome next door recently. Maybe they just want to retire? Will be interesting to see what happens with all 3 properties now. Apparently the upper floors of YP are gorgeous offices that have been empty a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Would be awesome for the Fort Garry to become a Fairmont, in line with their other Canadian properties. If they did, maybe we'd see the owners of Fairmont building revert it to a Westin again – would be funny (my parents still call it the Westin). With the fact Westin was looking at 416 Main, it's not overly crazy to think that could happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan