HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:39 PM

So...What's happening on Warman Road?

There was a Freepress story in 2015 that the old Maple Leaf plant on Warman Road was sold to a new owner, "Hungerford Properties of Vancouver plans to spend an undisclosed sum of money to convert the sprawling, 121,000-square-foot facility on Warman Road into a multi-tenant Meridian Business Park." Has anyone heard what is happening to it, or is it just a big 'ham bone'?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 9:17 PM

Hungerford also bought the giant Sears warehouse off the Ring Road in Regina for a similar purpose. I am not aware of much having happened out there other than the demo of the large high bay building.

https://leaderpost.com/business/loca...-business-park

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:52 PM

Reports in the news this spring (May 2018) were the building is being converted to a commercial grow operation owned by a company called GrowForce. When it is at full production they expect to employ about 150-200 staff.

In Oct 2018 CBC news reported that the Peguis First Nation is an investor with GrowFroce in the conversion.

Phase one of the building was expected to startup in 2019 with staff being hired over this winter according to the report.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:31 PM

That's the old Shell Canada building. I've seen crews outside doing some work.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's the old Shell Canada building. I've seen crews outside doing some work.
Old Shell building is a warehouse for a furniture company? Building in photo is the old Maple Leaf Foods hog processing facility, believe it's been closed for close to 20 years now, believe the building was only in use for less than ten years after it was constructed!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:54 PM

The place in the photo is called Shell Canada Park. Maybe it was a hog facility I don't know. But ya it's been closed for a long time.

Here's the article about Grow Force.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.4663918

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Old Shell building is a warehouse for a furniture company? Building in photo is the old Maple Leaf Foods hog processing facility, believe it's been closed for close to 20 years now, believe the building was only in use for less than ten years after it was constructed!
The Maple Leaf plant on Panet @ Warman closed in Sept 2008 according to the news reports I can find so its been only 10 years.

But even 10 years is a long time to be empty

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:37 PM

^^ The odd piece with the Maple Leaf plant on Panet is that it was not in productive use for all that long. I don't know a lot about it but it was a surprise to be when operations consolidated that the old Burns plant (Lag @ Marion) was kept open while the much newer plant was closed.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:49 PM

I don't believe Maple Leaf owns/owned that building. Seems it, at least the land, was owned by Shell and leased out, which would explain the oddities of it being empty. Shell owns large amounts of land for their operations just the other side of the road.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 9:14 PM

I know that there are problems with the land in that general area around Warman Rd due to methane gas leaching up from the an old City of St. Boniface dump in the area to the south of Warman and east of Lag.

The buildings that Shell has on the West side of Panet next to the old refinery (now their Manitoba tank farm) where their motor oil blending plant and warehouse at one time. Before that building was erected the Shell motor Oil plant was 350 Archibald St.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:11 PM
What could go wrong?

As said a few posts above - it's the GrowForce Cannabis Facility redeveloping the old Maple Leaf production plant in 2 phases.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I know that there are problems with the land in that general area around Warman Rd due to methane gas leaching up from the an old City of St. Boniface dump in the area to the south of Warman and east of Lag.

The buildings that Shell has on the West side of Panet next to the old refinery (now their Manitoba tank farm) where their motor oil blending plant and warehouse at one time. Before that building was erected the Shell motor Oil plant was 350 Archibald St.
Was there a dump where Reimer Soils is?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Was there a dump where Reimer Soils is?
In that general area not sure the exact location. That's one of the reasons that the Construction Supermarket building is sort of dilapidated looking. The tire place that was in there at one time had to vacate due to high methane levels.

I see that the Litz Crane storage yard just to the south east side of Warman and Lag has been sold so it will be interesting to see if something gets built there or it stays as a storage compound due to the methane migration issues

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:10 AM

Used to be a scrap yard in the area too. I remember going over the overpass on Lagimodiere when I was a kid and seeing all the scrapped cars down there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Used to be a scrap yard in the area too. I remember going over the overpass on Lagimodiere when I was a kid and seeing all the scrapped cars down there.
Midway Auto Wrecking was in that area from 1958 to about 1965.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Midway Auto Wrecking was in that area from 1958 to about 1965.
Was still there in the 70's, since I was born in 66.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Was still there in the 70's, since I was born in 66.
I took my dates off of a city environmental report generated for the 3R center.

If I am not mistaken MPI had their salvage compound there for a bit in the 70's before moving out to Plessis Rd.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:27 PM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I took my dates off of a city environmental report generated for the 3R center.

If I am not mistaken MPI had their salvage compound there for a bit in the 70's before moving out to Plessis Rd.
Ah, that would have been it then.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan