HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should SSP create a new Winnipeg sub-thread?
Yes 44 81.48%
No 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Sub-Thread

Should Winnipeg have it's own sub-forum. It appears Winnipeg is the only large Canadian city not to have one..

Last edited by Jets4Life; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:39 AM

Since it’s been 2.5 years since the last poll. Why not.

Aug 2010 64% in favour of separation:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184481

Mar 2013 58% in favour of some form of separation:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204407

Jan 2016 58% in favour of separation:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220735

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:27 PM
BANNED

The title should read "sub-forum" I hope a mod can change it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:10 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

This again?

I highly doubt this will happen, but who knows. Times may have changed.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
This again?

I highly doubt this will happen, but who knows. Times may have changed.
One has to wonder why cities like Halifax, St.John's, and London, ON have sub-forums, despite having less traffic, and being less populated.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:16 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
One has to wonder why cities like Halifax, St.John's, and London, ON have sub-forums, despite having less traffic, and being less populated.
I hear you, but again, we've been down this road before.

Historically, I said it would be nice to have our own forum, but looking at the other municipal sub-forums with little traffic, do we really need to divide the community up from what we have here already?

If I recall, we had a huge debacle over this, and it started with the division of the Western Canadian provinces forum, as we were originally one big sub forum, that included BC, AB, SK, and MB.

I guess this SK and MB forum is the last remnants of those forums all those years ago.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:23 AM

The other city forums have become so subdivided and chopped up there’s little to no traffic there anymore, they’ve all left for skyrise.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 7:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The other city forums have become so subdivided and chopped up there’s little to no traffic there anymore, they’ve all left for skyrise.
I see what you mean, when I check out the Calgary and Vancouver sub-forums. However, Edmonton looks good.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:21 AM
BANNED

It doesn't have to be a super complex sub forum like Vancouver or Toronto. The one they have for St. John's would be a good example for us to follow. We have enough going on in this city where it's time for our own sub-forum. The only actual functionning moderator in our section, Mitchell, also said he supports this.

Keep the Manitoba & Saskatchewan forum as is, just put all the Winnipeg threads into its own section.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:07 PM

I'd be for a Edmonton type where there's a sub catch all for Winnipeg threads. I can see some of the Saskatchewan stuff currently gets lost in the shuffle due to the Winnipeg threads dominating discussion.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:46 PM

Yeah, if we're going to split, then one big catchall for Manitoba would be ideal. Dividing it up into 50 hyper specific sub-subforums like the Vancouver subforum would be excessive.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:17 PM

What's a Saskatchewan?

I still don't know.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:15 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
The title should read "sub-forum" I hope a mod can change it.
Can we vote to get some active mods instead? All a Winnipeg regional forum would do is encourage more worthless trolling...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Can we vote to get some active mods instead? All a Winnipeg regional forum would do is encourage more worthless trolling...
There is currently two for the man/sask.

Myself, and 1jas. not sure why we need more than that. Its a combined section, so we dont need someone directly from manitoba moderating your threads, even though you guys have one from your province already.

This also isnt a full time job, and i do have one thats 60+ hrs a week. So aside from my having this open at work all day, evenings is my only time to really sit down and read the threads, and then i sacrifice personal time too, not complaining, some days its a little harder when that 30-45 min is taken to do something else.

It takes time to read through some threads, especially when theres numerous ones active at once, and one or two get pushed down and i miss it for a day or two. Its alot more time consuming than people think, and i also have a moderator section i have to keep checking out also,

As i said to a couple forumers on here before, i do read through all of the threads, especially once i figured out the moderator stuff, but there may be one or two i may not read through for a few days but i still get to all of them.

You dont need more mods, some people just need to watch what they post and not go off when someone disagrees with them.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:49 PM

As much as I respect his years of contribution, 1ajs does not moderate.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:07 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
This also isnt a full time job, and i do have one thats 60+ hrs a week. So aside from my having this open at work all day, evenings is my only time to really sit down and read the threads, and then i sacrifice personal time too, not complaining, some days its a little harder when that 30-45 min is taken to do something else.

It takes time to read through some threads, especially when theres numerous ones active at once, and one or two get pushed down and i miss it for a day or two. Its alot more time consuming than people think, and i also have a moderator section i have to keep checking out also,

As i said to a couple forumers on here before, i do read through all of the threads, especially once i figured out the moderator stuff, but there may be one or two i may not read through for a few days but i still get to all of them.

You dont need more mods, some people just need to watch what they post and not go off when someone disagrees with them.
This reads as a breakdown of why we need more mods rather than defense of the number we currently have.

Leaving some threads to break down into flame wars for "a few days" can really turn some people off to the forum itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
There is currently two for the man/sask.

Myself, and 1jas. not sure why we need more than that. Its a combined section, so we dont need someone directly from manitoba moderating your threads, even though you guys have one from your province already.
And, as per the purpose of this thread, if we do get our own regional section and remove Sask we would then be down to 1. And as Wpg_Guy said - I respect/like 1ajs, however as you yourself have said Mods have real lives and real jobs and I do not believe he can moderate a Winnipeg regional section alone.

Additionally - as you worded your response it appears you have no intention of creating a Winnipeg regional section so this thread could probably be closed?

Also the poster that created this thread requested that the title be modified in post #3

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
There's pretty much zero here...There is difference of opinion, but hopefully we don't consider that as an affront to society as we know it...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:16 PM

Didn't a mod for this subforum just say they would be fine to mod the separate Winnipeg subforum? Thought I read that somewhere.

I dream of:

Manitoba & Saskatchewan
- Regina - Saskatoon - Winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:18 PM
BANNED

combine alberta with mb and sask, and yeah, have separate subs for the 5 biggest cities. just because a couple rich albertans who post there have vacation homes in the okanagan doesn't mean BC and AB have more in common than the prairies.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This reads as a breakdown of why we need more mods rather than defense of the number we currently have.

Leaving some threads to break down into flame wars for "a few days" can really turn some people off to the forum itself.

And, as per the purpose of this thread, if we do get our own regional section and remove Sask we would then be down to 1. And as Wpg_Guy said - I respect/like 1ajs, however as you yourself have said Mods have real lives and real jobs and I do not believe he can moderate a Winnipeg regional section alone.

Additionally - as you worded your response it appears you have no intention of creating a Winnipeg regional section so this thread could probably be closed?

Also the poster that created this thread requested that the title be modified in post #3
Where did he say that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan