HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Thanks. Many competing priorities I guess.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:30 PM

Ya I mean the government has only committed to spending $2.5 million province-wide on Manitoba’s 150th, and they will kick in another 2.5 if private sector raises 2.5. Apparently they’ll only do the matching if they raise the full amount. So max $5m. And they want it to be focused on “legacy projects” (aka not events)... so that’ll maybe get some benches in every town.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:11 PM

Well, don't forget Pallister is going to call an early election to allow Manitobans to really enjoy that $2.5 million celebration without be bothered by trivial matters like democracy.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Well, don't forget Pallister is going to call an early election to allow Manitobans to really enjoy that $2.5 million celebration without be bothered by trivial matters like democracy.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:29 PM

Maybe for the politics thread. But why would Pallister what to be involved with government? What's his goal? What else is going on other than cutting budgets? Serious question, for now.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars65 View Post
How long before they're at least equally to blame? Last I checked they've been in charge for over 3 years.
So simple math would say in 13 more years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Maybe for the politics thread. But why would Pallister what to be involved with government? What's his goal? What else is going on other than cutting budgets? Serious question, for now.
I'll admit I'm a conservative apologist, and I don't have my ears to the ground; I don't know really what they're doing. But what I reasonably assume is that if Pallister wanted to make cuts in all the most politically dangerous areas, whether health care and emergency room closures, education, re-jigging a carbon tax, etc... it means that the books were more fucked than we know.

Nobody voluntarily pisses off so many voters.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:28 PM

That's kind of what I'm getting at. Why would a millionaire insurance salesmen with a villa in Costa Rica want to be Premier? What is his purpose? Not saying he's up to anything nefarious. But I'm just really not sure what he's up to at all. Still checking the books after 3-4 years? I have no affiliation with any party, but the conservatives are the big bullies who really have no plan, just to bash the opposition and hope the election goes your way. Kenny in Alberta "rahhh pipeline! it will save us." Okay I suppose.

Looking down to the US (and lesser so Ottawa), politicians are billionaires with an agenda. Change the laws to suit their interests. Orange dude in the white house is a prime example. Shiny coin over here, tax scam over here.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:16 PM

More steel going up as seen earlier today

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:23 PM

Oh nice!

In other news, J-Con continues to destroy the streets they work on.. They make such a mess.. Lovely gravel pile filing the sewer in this photo.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
That's kind of what I'm getting at. Why would a millionaire insurance salesmen with a villa in Costa Rica want to be Premier? What is his purpose? Not saying he's up to anything nefarious. But I'm just really not sure what he's up to at all. Still checking the books after 3-4 years? I have no affiliation with any party, but the conservatives are the big bullies who really have no plan, just to bash the opposition and hope the election goes your way. Kenny in Alberta "rahhh pipeline! it will save us." Okay I suppose.

Looking down to the US (and lesser so Ottawa), politicians are billionaires with an agenda. Change the laws to suit their interests. Orange dude in the white house is a prime example. Shiny coin over here, tax scam over here.
Power is what drives most politicians, given Pallister’s personality makeup that seems like a good bet.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:

"Change the laws to suit their interests" - that, self-interest. He wants to slash taxes for him and his rich buddies. As far as I can tell that's the only reason any conservative politician leaves their day job to run.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
"Change the laws to suit their interests" - that, self-interest. He wants to slash taxes for him and his rich buddies. As far as I can tell that's the only reason any conservative politician leaves their day job to run.
That is an incredibly cynical view of the world.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:40 PM

That's how the world works. Not so much at a provincial level here in Canada, federal for sure.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
That is an incredibly cynical view of the world.
haha, so what, you believe guys like Pallister and Doug Ford just really wanna "make a difference"?

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 9:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
haha, so what, you believe guys like Pallister and Doug Ford just really wanna "make a difference"?
"any conservative politician" what a smear. If you are conservative you MUST be some sort of Scrooge McDuck whose only goal in life is to swim in your money pool. Enough with the straw men. You know there are actually conservatives out there who hold their political views sincerely and aren't motivated by monetary gain. Often people who are conservative just want to be left the hell alone by the government. Dealing with BS so others don't have to is a great reason to run for office.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 9:23 PM

I've heard it said from one Manitoba Progressive Conservative insider friend, that Pallister ran for the party leadership because his dad would always tell him that he didn't have what it takes to be premier. He wanted to prove his dad wrong. Sorry it's not some evil cigar-smoking capitalist conspiracy.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 9:27 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I've heard it said from one Manitoba Progressive Conservative insider friend, that Pallister ran for the party leadership because his dad would always tell him that he didn't have what it takes to be premier. He wanted to prove his dad wrong. Sorry it's not some evil cigar-smoking capitalist conspiracy.
Haha so he's actually just a vindictive guy. Prove the haters wrong. I must admit that is also a pretty good reason to do stuff although in the end it must be deeply unsatisfying because you reach your goal and then you no longer have a raison d'etre

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:30 PM

Another rich guy with daddy issues. Yeah, that tracks.

From PC acquaintances who know the Pallister family (and are pissed with him for refusing to communicate with anyone), his goals seem to be pretty straightforward. He's a small-government conservative who believes gov't shouldn't "interfere" (which is why he refuses to communicate with even his own colleagues and other political levels). Austerity is the way you accomplish the goal of shrinking gov't. Starve every dept until they collapse and/or must privatise.

I don't believe he's that complicated of a guy. Gov't = bad, everything should be market-driven.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:25 AM

Sorry to keep on politics here, but I was told by someone close that he wants to turn Winnipeg into the choral (as in choirs) capital of the world. He apparently had a soft spot for it. So it’s a personal thing.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
So simple math would say in 13 more years
For a five year problem specifically? Simpler math says they've been at least as responsible for 6 months. I know, 'apologist'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan