HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:30 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The bad news:

The good news:

The best news:

So, it'll be moved east and (more than likely) be built over the parking garage. Also, not sure if the residential units will be built as part of the new tower or if they'll be separate and built on top of Joske's.

link
I should somewhat correct myself. The hotel tower will more than likely not be built on top of the Commerce St. parking but instead on the building across from Joske's where Express is. A residential tower will then be built on top of the Joske building where the original hotel tower was to go, but instead it'll be closer to commerce st. No setback.

So essentially, we went from one hotel tower with a setback to two towers (one hotel the other residential) and no set backs.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:40 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

I knew this thing wouldn't die. This sounds like an good compromise. It is curious to see how the location has shifted from above the commerce st parking garage to the ne corner of the joskes building to the west side of the building to the se corner of the joske building. Lets just see if the music stops on this location.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 12:09 AM

What I think downtown SA needs more than a high rise is just more density in general. The Pearl, as well as whatever's being built right across the highway, are nice examples of what SA needs more of. Build over those ugly parking lots and add some mass! Broadway especially needs some serious work! People don't just want a nice building to live in, they want a nice *neighborhood.*

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
What I think downtown SA needs more than a high rise is just more density in general. The Pearl, as well as whatever's being built right across the highway, are nice examples of what SA needs more of. Build over those ugly parking lots and add some mass! Broadway especially needs some serious work! People don't just want a nice building to live in, they want a nice *neighborhood.*

San Antonio does have great infil so you wont find a lot of parking lots right in the center of downtown. We need more projects like this, hopefully in the near future we will see more high rise residential preferentially office projects.

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
San Antonio does have great infil so you wont find a lot of parking lots right in the center of downtown. We need more projects like this, hopefully in the near future we will see more high rise residential preferentially office projects.

There's not very many parking lots in the center of downtown but downtown in general has way too many surface parking lots for my liking,

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post

The center of downtown has way too many parking lots.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:44 AM

Just wanted to add a "before" pic to this thread. Made it big so that you all can get in on the details of the pic.
Taken in Oct. 2010... pre-alot of things along Broadway.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:55 AM

Cool pic, but you can't really see much of Lower Broadway. At least the area that has see all the residential development.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Cool pic, but you can't really see much of Lower Broadway. At least the area that has see all the residential development.
That's why I said it was pre, so that you wouldn't be curious as to what was or wasn't there... On this pic you can see that 1221 is still a shell and the warehouse is still up at the Pearl, meaning that Mosaic and 1800 were still grassy lots. Plus, this was to show the pre for this thread; Joske's. I have others for RiNo, LoBro, NoMa or SoBra. J/k on those names. Just trying to jokingly claim credit if any of them ever stick.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:06 PM

The convention center would look great with a rooftop park.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:38 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNF View Post
The convention center would look great with a rooftop park.
It definitely would, but that part is being torn down anyway and being turned into green space.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 10:15 PM

Are there any updates on this project? I really like it and thought it would be moving along a little faster than it is.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 7:56 PM
James

I think they are trying their best to get it to work with everything in the area. I hope this doesn't die. I'm going to be very sad if it does.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 10:48 PM

It's not dead and details about the tower will be released soon. They just released the info about the retail portion of Joske's a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 11:04 PM

The existing tenants in that portion of the building are already moving, my guess is something is going forward. The drug store has already moved inside the mall over by the Marriott, and Dinosaur-Quest (which I used to co-manage) closed today. Flag World is also closing.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 8:55 PM

Everything I find looks like bad news. My only source is Google so hopefully someone else has some more inside info. Everything I have found, though, says that the tower is no longer part of the plan. It looks like the building will be renovated and filled with retail at least, which is better than nothing.

http://www.expressnews.com/business/...4965822.php#/3

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNF View Post
Everything I find looks like bad news. My only source is Google so hopefully someone else has some more inside info. Everything I have found, though, says that the tower is no longer part of the plan. It looks like the building will be renovated and filled with retail at least, which is better than nothing.

http://www.expressnews.com/business/...4965822.php#/3
There are two aspects to this redevelopment. The retail aspect and the tower aspect. The retail is under construction and the tower details will be released soon.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 11:47 PM

How soon is soon?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 3:38 AM

Dead ?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Dead ?
No.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio