HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:13 PM

What would you do with portage place?

Since it's been in the news this week with the Imax closing and it being 26 years old now and not having fufilled it's original role of revitalizing downtown, I was wondering what some of your ideas would be to re-energize Portage Place going into the future.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:28 PM

First and foremost. Make the stupid escalators go in the right stupid direction. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone head to the right side escalator by Staples and see that its going in the opposite direction of every other mall in North America. then the escalators that go from 1 to 2 then to 3. You go up to level 2, then have to cross to the other side to catch the other one to 3 rather than having hte one right beside it going up again. Its really very stupid. IT annoys me to no end. Not sure why it bugs me so much but it does.

Other ideas, maybe update the color and decor that hasn't changed since it opened in the late 80's. Offer free rent for a decade to lure a store unique to Winnipeg like H&M to drive customers in from around the city. Open up street store front street presence on Portage ave. But yeah, I have no background in this so those wouldlikely not work.

and maybe the mall is just doomed to live in its niche at this point. It seems the majority of new leases lately have been conversions to office space rather than retail.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Since it's been in the news this week with the Imax closing and it being 26 years old now and not having fufilled it's original role of revitalizing downtown, I was wondering what some of your ideas would be to re-energize Portage Place going into the future.
My thinking is along the lines of upscale food court. Drop the pretense that it has any hope of being a retail destination. Have the enclosed mall space become like a pedestrian street scape lined with various little cafes, etc. Basically make in a place like Corydon but indoors. With the underground parking on the site if you put some effort into keeping out the bad element the safety issues could also be addressed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Cut up the mall - make Edmonton St go through again (you can keep the glass roof). Make the east west portion of the mall open air (again keep the roof). Make the back half of the mall offices and the Prairie Theater Exchange. The front half of the mall concentrate on retail between Kennedy and Edmonton. Realign the food-court to be single street front small restaurants opening to Portage (hopefully this will cut down on the loitering riff-raff).

I am not sure how cost prohibitive this would be as a lot of the interior walls and finishes are not designed as exterior walls but i think it would bring some new life and kill the interior mall hangout type building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 5:17 PM

Just thinking it is too bad the police hq is relocating to the Canada Post building. Repurposing Portage Place as the new police hq could have given it a new purpose *and* addressed the perceived (or actual) crime problems of the area at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 6:16 PM
GQMF

Just blow it up.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 7:58 PM

Difficult to access by vehicle (paid and timed parking), not a lot of demand for the type of retail space they have in that location. Personally, I'd like to see much more of the mall open to Portage Ave, Vaughan and Carlton. I think developing space for at least one lounge type restaurant with access to Portage Ave would be a good idea with the Jets across the street. There is a major issue with loitering in that mall, and drug dealing. Until the negative activity taking place in and around that mall is dealt with, not much can be done IMO. I tend to agree more with the "blow it up" faction (concept and physically), although I don't know who would pay for that or develop the land.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 8:34 PM
I am a typical

Compared to Victoriaville in Thunder Bay, Portage Place looks like a resounding success.

Probably because what we did with Victoriaville would be like building Portage Place on top of Portage and Main and forcing traffic to detour on a new 8-lane road around it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Cut up the mall - make Edmonton St go through again (you can keep the glass roof). Make the east west portion of the mall open air (again keep the roof). Make the back half of the mall offices and the Prairie Theater Exchange. The front half of the mall concentrate on retail between Kennedy and Edmonton. Realign the food-court to be single street front small restaurants opening to Portage (hopefully this will cut down on the loitering riff-raff).

I am not sure how cost prohibitive this would be as a lot of the interior walls and finishes are not designed as exterior walls but i think it would bring some new life and kill the interior mall hangout type building.
Sounds good, a tower on each end would also be nice.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 8:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Sounds good, a tower on each end would also be nice.

Yes, yes...i forgot about the towers on either end. I would love for Portage to be lined from Main to Memorial with 20+ storey towers.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 8:53 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Difficult to access by vehicle (paid and timed parking), not a lot of demand for the type of retail space they have in that location. Personally, I'd like to see much more of the mall open to Portage Ave, Vaughan and Carlton. I think developing space for at least one lounge type restaurant with access to Portage Ave would be a good idea with the Jets across the street. There is a major issue with loitering in that mall, and drug dealing. Until the negative activity taking place in and around that mall is dealt with, not much can be done IMO. I tend to agree more with the "blow it up" faction (concept and physically), although I don't know who would pay for that or develop the land.
Stores inside (with $20 purchase), and both the movie theatre, and PTE validate your parking if you park in their underground parkade on evenings and weekends.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 5:14 AM
BANNED

What I would do is re-model it, get some think team in there and really THINK. Not a bunch of yahoos that are one track minded.

Also I love the idea of an indoor Corydon type idea, but obviously retail still needs to be there.

One thing people who never go there seem to miss is the place is actually on the rebound, go back to 2000 and it was a empty dump, it is not what it was in 1987, but it is coming back. The loss of Imax I saw long ago, I am amazed it has taken so long tbh. When the theaters bailed to the burbs, even though they were saved by landmark, I just did not see Imax doing well.

As for the idea of opening the streets again, NO. I like the indoor tropical feel, needs more water and trees though, this is winnipeg, opening it up just promotes cars traffic and not ped traffic.

Now if anyone saw what it looked like before it was built would never say blow it up. That stretch was a eyesore. Portage place could be empty and would still look better then what was there before.

But here is where I would really start, those two skywalks, minus the third going to IG tower, they need to be all redone, maybe a nice glass roof and new glass on the street sides, make it more transparent, this would allow the downtown to not be blocked by the 1980s design. And ADD some NEON, those old lights they have had for 20 plus years, which 80% are burnt out, need to go.

Now the exterior, I am not appalled by it, just add a canopy at street lvl would add to it and break up the long stretch, patios outside would be nice. ( at one time btw the stores were open to the street, but to many people would use those doors to shoplift, the doors are still there is you forgot. )

The two ends, as they were built to have towers, put something up all ready, or buy this building back and make it city owned, or at least some private investor from here not the USA. I think residential would be best, as it would bring traffic to the mall, which in turn would attract stores.

Now for the interior, lets start with the mall itself, I agree fix the way you get from floor to floor, and paint scheme needs to change, like I said NEON again, have the store signs not on the front, but stick out like you would see in the old pics of Winnipeg, make it feel like a totally different mall, something like West Edmonton Mall, that part I forget the name, but it is like a little town. And more tree's, and lighting at night.

As for the IMAX, like I said, this is a huge chunk, this can be used as a multi lvl grocery store, or better yet a water park. You have to look at this and look at other northern malls in city centers and compare what works and what doesn't..

And now that What was called Eatons Place is a office tower with SOME retail, they as in the mall has little competition and in 1987 they had a lot.

But you need to bring all ages downtown again. I was a kid when I first went there on opening day , we spent the entire day there, it was great. And I lived in SOUTH St Vital, a long haul, I could have just spent the day at St V center. That is why I think it needs a water park.

This or that is why I think losing IMAX can be a blessing to the mall if it is used properly, and NOT rushed into service for something stupid. And the third floor needs to be also made more user freindly, it never was from day one.

One thing that was a proposal 10 years ago and maybe some of you remember was to put a CN Tower type structure on the East side, this I wish came to life, the people it would have attracted to see the wonderful views would be amazing.

Only time will tell, but I know it is not going in the wrong direction anymore. I feel positive about our downtown.

take a look at what it looked like before and tell me it is not better now please.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-UlRHmcjYI

another, speed up to 00:57 and it starts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RlpWVMaBmY

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 5:21 AM
Transit Nerd

Transit station?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 7:48 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
First, we need to create some sort of time-switch technology. Then we partition off portage place and activate the time switch and swap portage avenue of 40 years ago with Portage Place today. With all the people inside at the time as well. Those people get to live in a never ending time-loop for all of infinity inside of Portage Place, while the rest of us get a return of classic buildings. I suppose one day after the atomics wars, we can then swap them back to the linear timestream at some point 1000's of years into the future. There they will form a new post apocalyptic society based on the principles of Portage Place.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 2:09 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
There they will form a new post apocalyptic society based on the principles of Portage Place.
Video Link

So it will be a time of horrible VHS footage, female bodybuilders, jugglers and people stabbing eachother in gladiator fights in the food court bus shack?! LMAO

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 3:13 PM

Updated version of the commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9HfF6Agg8

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
First, we need to create some sort of time-switch technology. Then we partition off portage place and activate the time switch and swap portage avenue of 40 years ago with Portage Place today. With all the people inside at the time as well. Those people get to live in a never ending time-loop for all of infinity inside of Portage Place, while the rest of us get a return of classic buildings. I suppose one day after the atomics wars, we can then swap them back to the linear timestream at some point 1000's of years into the future. There they will form a new post apocalyptic society based on the principles of Portage Place.
I lol at this, but take a honest look at what it looked like before Portage place was built, there were no classic buildings it looked like a shanty town, biggest attraction was the covered up Colony theater, and as in covered up I mean how those crazy folk in the 60's tried to make old buildings look like the Jetsons.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Video Link

So it will be a time of horrible VHS footage, female bodybuilders, jugglers and people stabbing eachother in gladiator fights in the food court bus shack?! LMAO
I always wonder why people upload these things, or who actually took the time to transfer their VHS tapes to their computer?

With tentative redevelopment of the HI International, I would love to see Webb Place and The Promenade get something done along there. Make more external facing businesses along The Promenade instead of internal.

I've always loved that old interlocking stone street for some strange reason.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 12:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
Just blow it up.
Too easy. Just let it be by letting it suffer as it is now.

Let Portage Place be a reminder on how much of a bane and the scorn in the back of people's minds.

It's like the village idiot of Winnipeg malls, really. Even Northgate Mall would put it to shame.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 1:27 AM

It will make a great location for a new arena in about 25 years.

Until then, give it to True North and let them figure out what to do with it between now and turning it into the new Jets arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan