HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 8:24 PM
ConstructionPete

Bylaw Change Could Increase Development at Malls

Written by Shawn Mullin
Wednesday, 12 September 2012
swiftcurrentonline.com

The City of Swift Current is opening up their bylaws to allow for stand-alone facilities on the same land as traditional malls.

"We see the trends around the province and other provinces in cities where these mall sites are going to "big box" stores, and in a lot of cases, there's several different buildings on one site as opposed to one building," said City Engineering Services Manager Trevor Feicht.

More...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:59 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Written by Shawn Mullin
Wednesday, 12 September 2012
swiftcurrentonline.com

The City of Swift Current is opening up their bylaws to allow for stand-alone facilities on the same land as traditional malls.

"We see the trends around the province and other provinces in cities where these mall sites are going to "big box" stores, and in a lot of cases, there's several different buildings on one site as opposed to one building," said City Engineering Services Manager Trevor Feicht.

More...
Swift Current: Kiss your urban density goodbye!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Swift Current: Kiss your urban density goodbye!
When it comes to Swift Current, you can't really say that urban density is a major factor for the small community; however, with the on-going battle between the City of Swift Current and the RM of Swift Current in regards to boundaries and land acquisition, would it not be safe to say that the city could investigate higher density by-laws, create incentives for high-density construction, and a focus on planning that deviates from the Saskatchewan norm of urban sprawl.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:47 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
When it comes to Swift Current, you can't really say that urban density is a major factor for the small community; however, with the on-going battle between the City of Swift Current and the RM of Swift Current in regards to boundaries and land acquisition, would it not be safe to say that the city could investigate higher density by-laws, create incentives for high-density construction, and a focus on planning that deviates from the Saskatchewan norm of urban sprawl.
Plus Swift Current, to my current knowledge, still doesn't even have a fixed-route bus system. Higher density is the way to go!

Also, so I can create a transit map, what places are destinations in Swift Current? Being there myself, the malls are one of them!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 10:02 PM

I did the drawings for the Swift Current Home Inn and Suites hotel. Looks good.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the club. The RM around Regina has been holding land ransom as well, extorting millions of dollars from the city. Ironically, city growth is good for the surrounding RM's and they should be working with the cities to foster growth.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:26 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I did the drawings for the Swift Current Home Inn and Suites hotel. Looks good.
Any info on any other project for Swift Current?

Last edited by kalin_10; Sep 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:41 PM
ConstructionPete

Swift Current Goes After $500 Million Project

SouthWestTvNews
Mylocaltv.ca

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:02 AM
Ach, du.

Quote:
The Southwest Booster
May 24, 2012

Swift Current's Lyric Theatre has been awarded a $500,000 grant through the federal government's Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage Legacy Fund.

The matching grant was announced today by Cypress Hills Grasslands MP David Anderson at a celebration event at the Lyric Theatre. With the Southwest Cultural Development Group (SCDG) having previously raised commitments for a matching $500,000 through donations, sponsorships and fundraising, the $1 million project will focus on strengthening the integrity of the building, completing major roof repairs, and beginning other building upgrades and improvements.

http://www.swbooster.com/News/Local/...-renovations/1

Photo Credit: SwiftCurrentOnline.com
This is fantastic news, I grew up just outside Swift Current and attended a variety of concerts, plays, poetry readings and other assorted events at this theatre. It will finally get the much needed love it deserves, and the people working on the project will definitely work to make sure it's done correctly. I know most of the theatre employees personally and they are an earnestly creative bunch. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Any info on any other project for Swift Current?
Sorry bud, but I only did plans for this one hotel in the Swift Current area. Not much info on anything else.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 5:32 AM
ConstructionPete

Swift Current site of Western Canada’s first 2012 R2000 Standard home

Published on September 21, 2012
Elisabeth Dowson
The Southwest Booster

From the outside it looks like any other house, although two solar panels on the roof suggest an energy-efficient interior, but Lyle and Debbie Simonson’s home in northwest Swift Current, built by Evolve Developments, is actually the first to be certified in western Canada for meeting the rigorous updated 2012 R-2000 energy performance standards for homes.

At a ribbon-cutting ceremony and tour of the house held Sept. 18, emcee Keith Hanson, President and CEO of Sun Ridge Residential Inc., a residential energy evaluation provider for Saskatchewan and an R-2000 delivery agent, noted, “This is a leading edge home in the world, not just in Canada or Swift Current, Saskatchewan.

More...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 4:37 PM
ConstructionPete

Tender Approved for Joint-Use School

Colin Powers
Monday, 24 September 2012
SwiftCurrentOnline.com

The new joint-use K-8 school in Swift Current has reached a major milestone.

The Chinook and Holy Trinity School Divisions have officially awarded the construction contract for Ecole Centennial School and All Saints Catholic School to Westridge Construction out of Regina.

The schools will be built as part of a larger integrated facility project in the city's northeast near Cypress Regional Hospital.

Construction crews are expected to be on-site within the next few weeks with an official sod-turning set for October 18th.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 4:34 AM

Had some time to take a few pictures on Saturday:

New Personal Care Home:

Construction has just started at the new school site. Earthwork has been in progress for the last couple of months ad construction staking has just begun in the last week or 2:

Construction on the first street of the new Saskatchewan Valley subdivision near the new school and hospital is picking up. The Highlands subdivision that should be nearly full by the end of this year and construction should really pick up in this new area next year:

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 10:42 PM

Ground Broken on New Joint-Use School
Written by Colin Powers on Thursday, 18 October 2012

http://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/in...072&Itemid=267

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 9:30 PM
ConstructionPete

Rendering of New Private Care Home

Golden Health Care - Cypress House

[Source]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 9:34 PM
ConstructionPete

City of Swift Current Growith Plan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:15 AM
Transit Nerd

Just wondering, I'm about to make a fantasy transit map for Swift Current. Where do people go in town? Or how many and when?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:42 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Just wondering, I'm about to make a fantasy transit map for Swift Current. Where do people go in town? Or how many and when?
The central avenue business district (1st NE - 1st NW), Swift Current Mall, Wheatland Mall, the Iplex during events, South-side (Pioneer) Co-op, Library/Art Gallery, Battleford Trail area, Fairview School/Arena, Chinook Golf Course/Elmwood Golf Course (Summer), Kinetic Exhibition Park (Summer events), Great Plains College, Shoppers Drugmart (Medical Clinic and Original Joes), North and South Service Roads, Cypress Regional Hospital. Swift Current Care Centres

Remember, Swift Current is approx. 17000 people. A regular scheduled route must be very efficient and effective for patrons in Swift Current to even consider using a bus route. A person can literally get from the opposite sides of town in around 10mins at most depending on how many senior citizens and Sunday drivers a person is stuck behind.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 6:25 AM
Transit Nerd

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...15545,0.042272

Will improvise other details soon. Route 1 runs every 30 minutes, others run every 45/60. Timed connections as well.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:02 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...15545,0.042272

Will improvise other details soon. Route 1 runs every 30 minutes, others run every 45/60. Timed connections as well.
That's neat! Great job. Hopefully a city manager is a part of this forum for some ideas ahah

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan