HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 4:45 PM
Creative Accountant

Going to Saskatoon and Swift Current

Just found out that I am going to Saskatoon and Swift Current tomorrow for a little over a week. Can anyone recommend places to eat? Places of interest?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:00 PM
Has been

As for eating in Saskatoon definitely try Amigos at 10th and Dufferin. The menu is Mexican based, if not truly Mexican. It's quality ingredients that make the difference. The Red Pepper on 3rd would be my choice if your feeling like Asian. Both these places are moderately priced.

If you want to spend a bit more, Calories or Pestos (both on Broadway) are quite highly regarded Bistros. I had a great meal at the St. Tropez Bistro on 2nd not too long ago.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. I'm a vegetarian, so my opinion probably doesn't count.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:00 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
Just found out that I am going to Saskatoon and Swift Current tomorrow for a little over a week. Can anyone recommend places to eat? Places of interest?
What are you going to Saskatoon and Swift Current for?

Just curious.....................................

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:31 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
What are you going to Saskatoon and Swift Current for?

Just curious.....................................
Business

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 8:23 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

circle has made some good suggestions, I guess it depends what type of place you are looking for? Where are you staying in Saskatoon?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 10:15 PM
Creative Accountant

not sure yet, it appears most hotels are booked in Saskatoon this week. Anything going on? My trip may be postponed. Is this a common occurance?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:55 AM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
Is this a common occurance?
It looks to be that way, for a short while anyway.

No room at Saskatoon's inns
October busy month for conventions, meetings
Darren Bernhardt, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, October 20, 2007

Finding room at the inn is becoming a challenge in Saskatoon, prompting another wave of hotel construction that will add about 500 rooms in the city.
"No question the economy has cranked up here. It's certainly interesting times," said Andrew Turnbull, general manager of the Delta Bessborough and past-president of the Saskatoon Hotels Association.

A reporter covering the provincial election campaign this week phoned more than a dozen Saskatoon hotels and found no vacancy. October, as it turns out, is one of the busiest months of the year for conferences and conventions, according to Turnbull, noting the Bessborough is pretty much booked all next week as well.

"There's still peaks and valleys but we've had a significantly busier year than last and 2006 was busier than 2005," he said. "If you use that back-to-back comparison, then people are going to say, 'Maybe it makes sense that I build a hotel here.' "

That's exactly what's happening with three projects presently being discussed. A full-service Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites is slated to be built on the old Pacific Cinemas site on 22nd Street. A Four Points Sheraton has been identified as a possibility in the city's south end near Stonebridge.

The most high-profile of the bunch comes from Calgary-based Lake Placid Developments, which is planning to build an "urban village" consisting of a 20-storey condo tower, a four-level office and retail building and an eight-storey boutique hotel clustered around a public plaza at River Landing. The $125-million project has an intended 2011 opening date.

The city experienced a similar hotel boom at the start of the decade when a Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Sandman and Super 8 opened for business. At the same time, the Travelodge and Park Town Hotel underwent major expansions.

"The same things said about the market then are being said now. That's why we're seeing this (talk of new hotels) again," said Turnbull.

There are about 3,300 rooms in Saskatoon. Trying to fill an additional 500 over 365 days of the year is asking a lot, but "there's optimism for sure," said Turnbull.

The expansion of TCU Place has brought bigger conventions to the city and the red-hot economy has contributed to the vacancy crunch.

Still, some hoteliers aren't so convinced the demand is there for new construction. In the spring, Remai Ventures backed out of building a spa-hotel at River Landing, saying it wasn't economically viable anymore.

"We still have weak days in the market," said Darryl Caudle, rooms division manager for the Sheraton Cavalier. "December and January are still soft months. It's an off-corporate time and we're not that busy at all. The extra supply (of rooms) might hurt a bit.

"It might be a Darwin-type theory that only the strong will survive. Those hotels that are not of the best quality could suffer."

He questioned whether some of the hotel projects would even get off the ground because of the expense to build and find labour. The plan for the Four Points Sheraton looks good on paper, "but when the real numbers come out these ideas may not fly," Caudle said.

If the hotels are built, their rates will have to be quite high to recoup the costs, he added.

To rely less on the fluctuating corporate segment, 13 city hotels have partnered to create a destination marketing fund that will be used to sell the city as a destination for travellers and tourists. The fund contains about $1.2 million at present and the group is working with Tourism Saskatoon on the marketing, said Turnbull.

dbernhardt@sp.canwest.com

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:40 AM

i personally like sushi, sushiro on tenth i think is an interesting trendy sushi bar, where as Otowa on second is a little more tacky but good food. i also like taverna on 21st.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:58 AM
A long time gone

can someone please post some pictures of Swift Current and surroundings?

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:10 PM
Creative Accountant

Okay, Managed to find a 1.5 start hotel, with likely no internet. I hope this isn't the impression of Saskatoon I take away.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:23 PM
Has been

Which hotel (if you don't mind me asking)?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:43 PM
Creative Accountant

Northwoods I want to say, use to be a Howard Johnson I believe

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:55 PM
Has been

Sorry about the Northwoods. Don't judge our fair town based your hotel. There is free wifi downtown and in the Broadway area, so you won't be hooped for internet.

Another place you might want to try is Liberty's Montreal Smoked Meat on 2nd (between 22nd & 23rd). Since I don't touch the stuff myself I can't comment, but I've heard people say it's as authentic as a Montreal deli. I can vouch for the roasted vegetable sandwich, top shelf. Like many downtown eateries, it does close at 5 pm, so dinner is out.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 9:25 PM
the heat goes on

You must eat at Caffe Sola. The best food I've had in a long time. Everything is good. It's a coffee shop with a limited daily menu, but it's amazing stuff. Downtown, warehouse district, on 23rd street.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
Creative Accountant

Man my hotel is a dump!! And our client here warned us that a lot of shit goes down there, IE prostitution and the like.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:14 AM
Saskatchewan's Largest

^^ You should be fine, just don't show up wearing a red do-rag. Its to bad your at such a shitty hotel. Sometimes the hotel room can ruin an otherwise great trip, puts you in a bad mood. Just spend more time drinking so you don't even feel the beautiful bed that awaits.. At least you are close to downtown/riverbank and the Broadway area.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 9:48 PM

i would say a nice place to eat would be the station place for brunch athe sheraton for lunch(great views of the bess when u eat there too) and depending how much money u want to spend i say johns but its around 25 to 50 per person by the time u r done. but propablly the best steaks in town. hope it helped u

and at swift current the best thing i can say u could do is go for a drive on the highway 13 (ghosttown highway) take a drive see some of sasks lost history and if u got time try one of the small town restaurants (my fav red coat in in hazenmore) or even take a drive to val marie and see grassland national park.

between saskatoon and swift current it is a must to stop at sasklanding provincial park and u cant miss it. (pictures can only describe it)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan