HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
One thing after another out her in Cali-land. Fires, quakes, droughts, floods, record homelessness, traffic gridlock, impossible taxes & housing costs. Is the "California Dream" moribund, or is this just a lull? In recent years more Californians have left than newcomers have arrived...except for foreign immigrants. They still believe apparently. Maybe the "California Dream" was just a mirage anyway, dreamed up by real estate hucksters in the late 19th-early 20th century. But at least back then there was plenty of cheap land to build on. Now real estate is almost unaffordable for most and the traffic barely moves. So maybe this time the "dream" is really ending?

Is anyone on this forum planning to move TO California? How many of you in Cali are planning an exit? I am considering it.
Lol its way dead and has been for a solid decade or more. The massive tides of Cali-refugees to other western states is pretty obvious

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:53 PM

LOL.
Certain people on here rooting for California's demise is comical.

I guess NYC has been dead for decades then?
What a dumb arguement. These people are priced out. THAT"S OBVIOUS.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
LOL.

I guess NYC has been dead for decades then?
What a dumb argument.
I would absolutely argue that New York has been dying for decades. NYC and some other assorted areas still grow but the state overall the state is stagnant at best. Much like California the only reason they arent significantly losing population is due to being ports of entry for international immigrants.

Most people dont "dream" of going to live in New York with that same bleary eyed optimism of the past and soon California will be the same.

The one thing California has going for it is being one of the most resource rich places on earth and it is allowing for their shell game to go on for quite a long time but its pretty obvious especially in recent years that the State as a whole is totally off the rails.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:02 PM

What? Who dreams of going to Texas or Arizona?
Or Georgia? I've never of anything like that in my life.

Sure, buddy. California and NYC are dead. Ok. To think people stil don't dream about entertainment, tech and Wall Street/Fashion careers but Arizona, Texas and Florida (or whatever) instead....I mean...go for it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I work with a ton of California transplants, mostly younger and working class or lower middle class. They came here because they could afford to live normal lives on what they were making. It used to be that it was rare to meet Californians who had moved to Minneapolis - that seems to have started to change over the last few years. I get the impression that it is mostly the economic pressures that are pushing people out and less the environmental ones.
You're right. It's almost entirely economical and with that political.

From the LA Times, this morning:

California conservatives leaving the state for ‘redder pastures’
By SARAH PARVINISTAFF WRITER
NOV. 4, 2019 5 AM

Quote:
Like many other Republican and conservative voters in California, the retired couple have decided to leave the state. A major reason, Stark and her spouse say, is their disenchantment with deep-blue California’s liberal political culture.

Despite spending most of their lives in the Golden State, they were fed up with high taxes, lukewarm support for local law enforcement, and policies they believe have thrown open the doors to illegal immigration.

Just over half of California’s registered voters have considered leaving the state, according to a UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll conducted for the Los Angeles Times. Republicans and conservative voters were nearly three times as likely as their Democratic or liberal counterparts to seriously have considered moving — 40% compared with 14%, the poll found. Conservatives mentioned taxes and California’s political culture as a reason for leaving more frequently than they cited the state’s soaring housing costs.
Read more LA Times:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...licans-leaving

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
What? Who dreams of going to Texas or Arizona?
Or Georgia? I've never of anything like that in my life.

Sure, buddy. California and NYC are dead. Ok. To think people stil don't dream about entertainment, tech and Wall Street/Fashion careers but Arizona, Texas and Florida (or whatever) instead....I mean...go for it.
Hundreds of thousands of mostly Californians per year.

I understand you dont want to see the reality of your states plight but there is no reason to take it personally bro.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Do most Californians moving to Minn. adjust well to the cold winters? Or do they whine about them? When they move to Phoenix, Las Vegas and the big Texas cities I'm sure the ex-Californians whine about the summer heat, at least the ones from the coast. The ones coming from Fresno are used to the heat.
I would think that Californians would B n' Moan about the extreme cold versus heat. Unless, you're living along the coast, most of California is pretty hot during the summer months.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:08 PM

Because you're mixing things up.
Dreaming is not the same thing as being priced out.
I dont think you understand what "dreaming" is. Job relocations and such have nothing to do with "dreaming".

I have a couple of friends who think Vegas is a better cost of living than LA. They're not "dreaming" about it. It's more out of necessity.
I doubt NYers "dreamt" about moving to much smaller metros in the south.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I would think that Californians would B n' Moan about the extreme cold versus heat. Unless, you're living along the coast, most of California is pretty hot during the summer months.
Californians complain anytime the temperature ventures above 90 or below 60

They are spoiled for sure . Id be too if I lived in a place with basically perfect weather all the time.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, who dreams about buying a newer, larger home in safe neighborhoods?

Once you age, your preferences change. No longer is it important to be able to walk to a bar. You'd rather be able to walk your kids to school. You would rather not pay $3,000 in rent, but rather own a home. You would rather not have to live in a city with the longest commute time in the nation.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Because you're mixing things up.
Dreaming is not the same thing as being priced out.
I dont think you understand what "dreaming" is. Job relocations and such have nothing to do with "dreaming".

I have a couple of friends who think Vegas is a better cost of living than LA. They're not "dreaming" about it. It's more out of necessity.
Well now you are just being totally presumptions. If you really think nobody wants to move to the fastest growing places in the country you are simply fooling yourself. You are projecting that since YOU like California how could anyone not?? The truth is hundreds of thousands of your neighbors are desperate to get out.

I dont see how you could possibly believe that people are reluctantly moving to sunbelt areas when they've been growing like mad for almost 40 years.

I dont think this is a good thing I think its a shame what bad policy has done to your state.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:22 PM

"
Desperate to get out". Now who's assuming? Do you know these hundreds of thousands of people? I can say the same thing about YOUR (and others) opinions about Arizona, Texas etc.
Not everyone likes Phoenix cause it's the fastest growing.

"Policies".
This always seems to get poltiical, which is a shame. I'm willing to bet if California was a beloved red state, it would never get these comments.
But it is what it is.

Again, wanting to move is not the same thing as dreaming. What is there to dream about moving to a fast growing metro area? Dream about what?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Once you age, your preferences change. No longer is it important to be able to walk to a bar. You'd rather be able to walk your kids to school.
why does it have to be either/or?

the best places to live allow people of all ages to conveniently walk to both.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:27 PM

I’ve been waiting patiently for people to actually believe that the Californian lifestyle is in danger so I can scoop up a place in LA at discounted prices. Surely one of the occasional articles on the topic will lead 2-4 million people to leave and deplete all interest from transplants to take their place (except for me and my wife).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:32 PM

I highly doubt that California is over. Isn't California always in this existential crisis mode? In the early 2000s they were freaking out about rolling blackouts because the state was "broke". Now people barely remember that it ever happened.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
"
Desperate to get out". Now who's assuming? Do you know these hundreds of thousands of people? I can say the same thing about YOUR (and others) opinions about Arizona, Texas etc.
Not everyone likes Phoenix cause it's the fastest growing.

"Policies".
This always seems to get poltiical, which is a shame. I'm willing to bet if California was a beloved red state, it would never get these comments.
But it is what it is.

Again, wanting to move is not the same thing as dreaming. What is there to dream about moving to a fast growing metro area? Dream about what?
California is artificially expensive, high tax, poorly run. Its over-crowded, polluted and prone to natural disasters. It has more people domestically leaving it annually every year than it gains domestically. The Economy of California is beginning to look more like Latin America with a super wealthy elite class but the vast majority being desperately poor.

You can float your opinion all you want but the facts are there and many thousands of people are actively leaving California and the stories of its poorly run debilitating state are everywhere.

This isnt even a debate its just you denying reality.

Once again, I am not saying this because its elating, I like California. Maybe it needs to run head-long into the grinder like Detroit before they can fix themselves idk, one thing is for sure which is this state of affairs can go on a very very long time because California is so wealthy and has so many people.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:35 PM

Exactly. Those days were easily worse, according to people that lived through it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
California is artificially expensive, high tax, poorly run. Its over-crowded, polluted and prone to natural disasters. It has more people domestically leaving it annually every year than it gains domestically. The Economy of California is beginning to look more like Latin America with a super wealthy elite class but the vast majority being desperately poor.

You can float your opinion all you want but the facts are there and many thousands of people are actively leaving California and the stories of its poorly run debilitating state are everywhere.

This isnt even a debate its just you denying reality.
You can float your opinion that these people aren't being priced out and "dream" of Texas and Arizona.
You have some weird poltiical agenda against the state, so ....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
You can float your opinion that these people aren't being priced out and "dream" of Texas and Arizona.
You have some weird poltiical agenda against the state, so ....
Lol dude you are an unreasonable person. Hopefully most people in your state arent as in denial as you so that maybe they can turn things around.

But its increasingly looking like that isnt the case.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:43 PM

As long as California has fantastic weather and scenery, the best public university system on the planet, and remains the innovation center of the planet and the gateway to the Pacific Rim, it will remain extremely desirable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions