HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 4:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
What a load of shit. Mt. Washington, at least the part along Grandview needs to be put into an historic district to protect the architecture along the most visited by tourist spot in the city.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
4/4 ZBA online. Only one item of interest: Eight new townhouses in Mount Washington - right on Grandview. Unfortunately, instead being located on one of the many land-banked empty parcels, it looks like the developer is demolishing four intact homes with varying levels of historic charm. I suppose it is increasing density in the area, but I'm still kinda meh about this. I hope they put in a common rear driveway and don't have the garages all front on Grandview.
The tan brick home, the second one from Merrimack, is already gone. The people who bought the old Victorian (Queen Anne?) across the street owned those houses and rented them before purchasing the one across the street to tear down and replace. To alleviate concerns about tying up the intersection during construction, they agreed to demolish one of those houses first to use as a staging area for construction. Once that one went down, they tore down the Victorian on the overlook side of Grandview. The lot currently is used to park construction vehicles and store materials.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
The tan brick home, the second one from Merrimack, is already gone. The people who bought the old Victorian (Queen Anne?) across the street owned those houses and rented them before purchasing the one across the street to tear down and replace. To alleviate concerns about tying up the intersection during construction, they agreed to demolish one of those houses first to use as a staging area for construction. Once that one went down, they tore down the Victorian on the overlook side of Grandview. The lot currently is used to park construction vehicles and store materials.
Yeah, I remember reading about that now. It's been awhile since we've been up to The Mount, so I hadn't seen the result. I take it the new construction house is up?

I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of a group of townhouses. I just hope it doesn't end up looking like this on the next block. It looks like (reading more closely) the developers want an eight foot wrought-iron fence right on Grandview, which isn't that inviting.

Sometimes I can't believe how much the city has fucked up the zoning along Grandview. Some of the best views in the city, and (presumably NIMBY-initiated) restrictions regarding height and uses (which wouldn't allow for any of the highrises if they were in place in the past) mean everything is getting squeezed out other than single-family homes for very rich people.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:46 PM

Don’t have the link since I can’t post from my work computer but PG reported construction on the produce terminal and 1600 smallman will begin later this week

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Don’t have the link since I can’t post from my work computer but PG reported construction on the produce terminal and 1600 smallman will begin later this week
https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201903190069

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:20 PM

Very excited to see all that get started.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:49 AM

It's possible I missed it because I haven't paid too close attention, but this is the first I've seen of McCaffery's plans to do 1600 Smallman in addition to the Produce Terminal.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201903190069

Edit: JK I'm just way behind. Nonetheless glad these will get started.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:25 PM
World Class City

They really did a bang up job on this one, wish we could see more developments with this level of good materials being built here and good looking proportions that respect the historic architecture around them.[/QUOTE]

I too love this development and appreciate the effort to incorporate quality finishes. Im on the fence regarding the copper. It looked amazing when it first went up. Now the natural patina has begun which looks pretty terrible and inconsistent. Im sure after about a decade or more it will have an even patina like the Statue of Liberty and look nice but a part of me is kinda partial to having the metal stay pristine.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:35 PM
World Class City

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
What a load of shit. Mt. Washington, at least the part along Grandview needs to be put into an historic district to protect the architecture along the most visited by tourist spot in the city.
But really...is the vintage architecture along Grandview as impressive as other parts of the city? Maybe a few notable examples but the rest...MEH.

I'm all for saving historic architecture and believe that there definitely should be an effort by the community to nominate a handful of existing structures like St Mary of the Mount church to be protected from demolition due to the contribution they bring to set the context for the district and neighborhood. I think Shiloh Street will soon be in danger of this as well and feel there are at least a handful of structures that should remain. However, i welcome quality development and quality timeless materials. This new development sets the tone for a new Mt Washington that has been so void of development for so long and could build the momentum the neighborhood needs to finally get those vacant lots developed. I think the ripple effect of Downtown is finally moving south of the rivers as shown by the Station Square activity, the distillery, etc. Hopefully Mount Washington will finally see its share of this little boom we seem to be having around the city.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
But really...is the vintage architecture along Grandview as impressive as other parts of the city? Maybe a few notable examples but the rest...MEH.
There's nowhere near enough quality architecture along Grandview to warrant historic preservation. I mean, this block is basically intact (probably because it has no view) but it's garbage. East of Labelle you start seeing some fine old brick houses along Grandview, but they're basically identical to hundreds of homes in Friendship, Highland Park, East Liberty, etc. Then closer in towards Shiloh a lot of the homes have been remuddled with big windows to take advantage of the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
I'm all for saving historic architecture and believe that there definitely should be an effort by the community to nominate a handful of existing structures like St Mary of the Mount church to be protected from demolition due to the contribution they bring to set the context for the district and neighborhood. I think Shiloh Street will soon be in danger of this as well and feel there are at least a handful of structures that should remain. However, i welcome quality development and quality timeless materials. This new development sets the tone for a new Mt Washington that has been so void of development for so long and could build the momentum the neighborhood needs to finally get those vacant lots developed. I think the ripple effect of Downtown is finally moving south of the rivers as shown by the Station Square activity, the distillery, etc. Hopefully Mount Washington will finally see its share of this little boom we seem to be having around the city.
Mt. Washington isn't really devoid of development though. Currently according to city records there are nearly 20 homes being constructed, which makes it the only robust construction area besides South Side south of the Mon. The problem is that's all that goes up in Mt. Washington now. It's a heavily NIMBY neighborhood - which was most recently evidenced by community opposition to an apartment component to the revived One Grandview development because there's already "too many people."

Looking at just the special zoning for the "Grandview Public Realm" - it's split into three subzones

A (roughly Hallock almost all the way to Shiloh) - Allows for SFH (attached or detached) and two-units. Height limit of 40 feet.

B (mostly Duquense Heights area, plus a bit further down close to Hallock) - Allows for the above, plus three-units and multi-family. However, the base height limit without a special exception is still 40 feet.

C ("restaurant row" part of Grandview, and a tiny bit around the base of Shiloh) - Allows for all of the above, plus libraries and "cultural facilities." Hotels, retail, and restaurants are allowed, but not by right, and only if they are small. Still has a base height limit of 40 feet without a special exception.

I think you guys can see the problem here. Theoretically speaking in the B/C Zoned areas you can - with certain requirements - get up to nine stories, given the NIMBY culture of Mt. Washington, that's not gonna happen. So what ends up happening is you get rich people single-family homes - in some cases directly replacing former commercial venues, like the house which will replace Isabela.

I've can understand not wanting any tall buildings on the cliff side of Grandview because it would spoil the view for everyone else. But it's not like it's picturesque to look out my window in Gateway Center and see a row of dinky little homes along Grandview. More apartment buildings would be great - particularly if we got something like a cohesive streetwall with even height going for several blocks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:00 PM

Post gazette article out today saying that the Troiani family wants to build a "signature tower" on their First side property holdings.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201903200062

a selection from the above link:

"...Although Mr. Troiani said it’s “a little premature” to discuss a height, the new building would be tall enough to light up the city’s skyline.

“We’re looking for that right office anchor that wants to have their name on the city skyline,” he said.

Under city zoning laws, a tower of up to 20 to 25 stories may be possible at the site...."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
uh, what? That seems like a far fetched idea just to give him leeway to tear down the buildings he owns and then sit on that lot forever for parking money.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
uh, what? That seems like a far fetched idea just to give him leeway to tear down the buildings he owns and then sit on that lot forever for parking money.
I think the important thing is that the city not okay the demolition of these structures (if at all) until he has a plan before the Planning Commission, has secured financing, and has an anchor tenant for the office component.

I simply do not believe that this dude can put together a viable plan for a highrise downtown when Oxford had to abandon their own plans to replace the Frank & Seder building because of lack of interest in the office space.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:42 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Well... Oxford didn't know what they were doing. (SARCASM ALERT!!!!)

I don't see his vision going anywhere unless it ends up being a mixed-use building like 3 PNC Plaza. Office occupancy is up. Yes, the rents have begun to increase above $30/sqft, but nobody is looking to expand or move into brand-new office space. Eschaton said it best: little to no interest in new office space downtown? Little to no chance of moving forward with a highrise office project.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:46 AM

Delete- old news

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:01 AM

You can call me naive, but I think the Troiani's want the big development. The fact that they are already mentioning mixed use, shows their cognizance of the commercial real estate demand in the CBD. For what it's worth, they'll have the full backing of the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership.

'Everything Points You Here' — Marketing campaign aims to bring tech, other firms Downtown

MARK BELKO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
mbelko@post-gazette.com
MAR 20, 2019 5:26 PM

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201903200142

The article is generally optimistic of the future of downtown for companies (re)locating there. However, the one dissenter quoted actually backhandedly makes the case for this development:

“"As companies expand into Pittsburgh, are they going to be interested in a 1980s office tower in the CBD, or a trendy new building in the Strip District or East Liberty? As the CEO of Burns & Scalo often states, ‘new buildings win,’” he said."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:37 AM

I'm sure a marketing campaign with a "catchy" slogan will do the trick.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 6:20 AM

Perhaps they are working with Highwoods. A couple of weeks ago when the applications were revealed for the state redevelopment assistance capital grants, Highwoods had requested $10 million for a new office building in the CBD with few other details.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:08 PM

I don't see anything that points to tech being interested in any downtown for the most part. The Strip, yes, but in most cases, large office towers aren't their thing.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:47 PM

Nice article about the renovated Hipwell Flashlight Factory on the North Side:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/featu...light-factory/

Once again a cool re-use of a neat old building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations