HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 1:54 AM

Nominations are closed. Candidates have until 4pm Thursday before the list becomes official. Robert Allin withdrew his name for mayor earlier this week. At this point, all council seats are contested.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2955664/no.../?sf36600287=1

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Okay, this is probably best in a post where it can be edited. Official nomination period Sept 06 to Sept 21.

Mayor
Michael Fougere (I)
Tony Fiacco
Jim Elliott
Evangeline Godron
Wayne Ast

Ward 1
Barb Young (I)
Robert (Bob) Burnett

Ward 2
Bob Hawkins (I)
Laur'Lei Silzer
Sam Khan
Syed Tayyab
Mike Parisone
Carmen Lien

Ward 3 - Shawn Fraser not running for re-election
Jeanne Clive
Andrew Stevens
Amanda Baker
Tamara Knight
Brian Rieder

Ward 4
Byron Burnett (I)
Asfaw Debia
Chad Novak
Lori Bresciani

Ward 5
John Findura (I)
Anthony Goodman

Ward 6
Connie Deiter
Joel Murray (son of incumbent)
Shelley M. Lavallee
Bill Stevenson
Femi Ogunrinde
Joseph (Joe) Daniels
Ashley Deacon
Trace Yellowtail
David Lerat

Ward 7
Sharron Bryce (I)
Jonas Cossette
Ameer Gill
Jonathan Gross
James Dulmage
Leanne McKay
Nishchal Bhagi

Ward 8
Mike O'Donnell(I)
Gene Howie
David Chapados
Ron Blashill

Ward 9
Terry Hincks (I)
Aiden Wotherspoon
Jason Mancinelli

Ward 10
Jerry Flegel (I)
Rickey Turchet
Bryan Sklar

Regina Public School Trustees
Jane Ekong (S1) - I

Aleana Young (S2) - I
Elaine Caswell (S2)

Nathaniel Cole (S3)
Jaspreet Kaur (S3)
Lauren Benesh (S3)
Adam Hicks(S3)
Dan Aho (S3)
Elizabeth Strom (S3)

Cindy Anderson (S4)
Misty Longman (S4)

Tara Molson (S5)
Tanya Foster(S5)
Richard Gallinger (S5)

Katherine Gagne (S6) - current chair, RPSB

Jay Kasperski (S7)

Separate Schools
Vicky Bonnell
Patty Gianoli
Marcus Vey
Richard Dittrick
Evan Markewich
Rob Bresciani
Heather Duczek-Reynolds
Frank J Flegel
Joan Rink
Marg Romanow
Robert Kowalchuk
Deborah Bresciani
Brett Salkeld
Tara Jijian
Wendy Gervais
Michael Martorana
Donna Zeigler
Ward 9 Councillor since 2003, Terry Hincks has passed away. He'd been battling cancer for years.

http://cjme.com/article/928502/counc...-battle-cancer

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:46 PM

One of the mayoral candidates will solve our infrastructure deficit by using "hemp-crete" in place of concrete.

I am not making this up.

http://cjme.com/evangeline-godron

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
One of the mayoral candidates will solve our infrastructure deficit by using "hemp-crete" in place of concrete.

I am not making this up.

http://cjme.com/evangeline-godron
She can't resist a shout out to hempcrete...haha. I'm all for innovation but I wonder how well it would stand up to our winters, not to mention traffic since she wants to use it for road construction. It's weaker than concrete. It seems it's also more expensive, although that might be skewed by the fact that most of the info I could find (in my quick Google search) was American and since it's illegal to grow hemp there, it all has to be imported from Canada.

In any case, it's hardly going to solve our infrastructure deficit.

http://www.reginachamber.com/12/rcoc...berLinkweb.pdf

I found this Chamber link to be the most informative. They asked three simple questions (What would you do to keep Regina growing? What priorities would you bring forward as a member of Regina City Council if elected? What is Regina’s biggest opportunity?) that give a pretty good idea of candidates' priorities. Some couldn't be bothered to even answer the questions which shouldn't have taken more than a few minutes being that where they stand on these issues is probably the basis for their running in the first place. Wayne Ast seems to have disappeared completely. Can't see myself voting for a guy whose email address is freckledshark@gmail.com anyway...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:14 PM

Why they still have only a $100 deposit to run for mayor is beyond me. Why encourage crackpots and attention seekers?

It should be a least $5000 but make it refundable if they get 10% of the vote

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:58 PM

All voters will need to complete a voter registration form. However, to save time at the polls, you can download and fill out the form in advance, then bring it to the polling location. Don't forget to bring ID as well! See www.electionsregina.ca for more details.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 9:06 PM

And here's some nonsense that anyone who knows Gross would not be surprised by.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 5:34 PM

I don't get her fixation on hempcrete. I'd never heard of it so I looked it up. If it is exposed to excessive moisture for long periods of time, it starts to biodegrade.

So anyone going to throw out any predictions. 10 wards, 7 incumbents. How many new people will be on council after the election? I'm guessing 5 new councillors; I think Burnett will lose to Bresciani (ward4) and possibly someone will beat Hawkins (ward2). I expect Fougere retains his job with Fiacco coming in #2.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 11:39 PM

I was wondering if someone could help me. I live in Ward 6 within the Eastview community and today Joel Murray supporters were out putting pamphlets in people's mailbox encouraging people to vote and offering assistance on the 26th. However, I started to notice that they were taking out another candidates pamphlets and throwing them on the ground. I checked in my mailbox and they crushed the other candidates pamphlets into my box and displayed theirs. I was very troubled by this so I watched them for awhile and even got in my car and watched them for a couple of blocks. They damaged opposing candidates flyers, stole them directly out of the mailbox, and at times threw them across people's properties. What do I do about this? I am outraged another candidates supporters would do this and I feel that this behaviour cannot be tolerated. I don't mean to slander Joel Murray by any means and personally I have not made up my mind regarding the candidate I want to vote for. However, I cannot believe what I witnessed and I feel that people need to be aware of this transgression. I have considered calling the leader-post and even city hall for assistance. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Fighter '77 View Post
I was wondering if someone could help me. I live in Ward 6 within the Eastview community and today Joel Murray supporters were out putting pamphlets in people's mailbox encouraging people to vote and offering assistance on the 26th. However, I started to notice that they were taking out another candidates pamphlets and throwing them on the ground. I checked in my mailbox and they crushed the other candidates pamphlets into my box and displayed theirs. I was very troubled by this so I watched them for awhile and even got in my car and watched them for a couple of blocks. They damaged opposing candidates flyers, stole them directly out of the mailbox, and at times threw them across people's properties. What do I do about this? I am outraged another candidates supporters would do this and I feel that this behaviour cannot be tolerated. I don't mean to slander Joel Murray by any means and personally I have not made up my mind regarding the candidate I want to vote for. However, I cannot believe what I witnessed and I feel that people need to be aware of this transgression. I have considered calling the leader-post and even city hall for assistance. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!!
I would contact the city. They must have a chief returning officer in charge of the election who can issue a reminder out to the candidates. I'm not sure there is much they can do. I'd likely also make a complaint directly to Joel Murray; give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he isn't aware what they are doing. That is pretty crappy to hear though.

Apparently Debia is having problems with his signs going missing and being defaced. That is likely unrelated to the campaign and just stupid kids, but it is happening too.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:09 PM

Voter turnout at advance polls up 31%. 5500 the last election. 7300 this election. Overall turnout still expected to only be around 1/3 of eligible voters.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:57 PM

Take time to vote today if you haven't. Voter turnout tends to be lower in civic politics which means your vote can have a greater impact. It is important!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:33 AM

OMG! Fougere was reelected, I can't believe it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:57 PM

20% voter turnout??? Ouch! I guess that's what you get when the Mayor's chair is a foregone conclusion.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Voter turnout at advance polls up 31%. 5500 the last election. 7300 this election. Overall turnout still expected to only be around 1/3 of eligible voters.
I do not understand this phenomenon of people wanting to vote in the advance poll. From everything I have heard, the advance polls are more crowded and inconvenient than the election day polls.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I do not understand this phenomenon of people wanting to vote in the advance poll. From everything I have heard, the advance polls are more crowded and inconvenient than the election day polls.
I suspect it's about location. The last federal election, the advance polls were a block from my house and the election day one was a mile from my house (and in a high traffic spot). We voted in the advance. There are a lot of posts on social media about people being 3 miles from their election day polls.

I thought it was interesting Saskatoon had something like 65 polling stations while Regina had 36 polls. I know we didn't have a mayor's race which does decrease voting, but really, that's a lot fewer polls. You have to make it easy for people to vote apparently or they don't. Just disgusting to see only 1 in 5 eligible voters bothered to cast a vote. That's not approval of the current council as the mayor claimed. That's apathy and people just don't care.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
20% voter turnout??? Ouch! I guess that's what you get when the Mayor's chair is a foregone conclusion.
Saskatoon had 80,000 eligible voters turn out to vote which is probably double the Regina voter turn out. The Mayoral race was probably the biggest reason. #YXEvotes was trending #1 in Canada for part of day yesterday. I sure hope Zach Galifianakis from movie 'The Hangover' shout out in support of Clark had no influence on his 3% lead over Atchison. Galifianakis is married to one of Clark's cousins

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle32539863/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:44 PM

The election day polling station was only about a 10-minute walk away from me, so not much effort needed on a fairly nice evening. Only 20% turnout is kind of surprising though. Well, maybe not really since the election sure didn't generate much discussion or even campaigning compared to the last municipal election.

Idly, I wonder how dead people get removed from the list of registered voters? Since that might affect the turnout figures...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I suspect it's about location. The last federal election, the advance polls were a block from my house and the election day one was a mile from my house (and in a high traffic spot). We voted in the advance. There are a lot of posts on social media about people being 3 miles from their election day polls.

I thought it was interesting Saskatoon had something like 65 polling stations while Regina had 36 polls. I know we didn't have a mayor's race which does decrease voting, but really, that's a lot fewer polls. You have to make it easy for people to vote apparently or they don't. Just disgusting to see only 1 in 5 eligible voters bothered to cast a vote. That's not approval of the current council as the mayor claimed. That's apathy and people just don't care.
I found information on how to vote to be a bit skinny. For federal and provincial elections they place a card with vote location in your mail box. I was expecting something similar for civic but there was nothing regarding where I would vote or even what ward I was in. Given the other crap they put in my mailbox I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem.

I thought maybe it was just me or my area but I asked my folks in another part of town and they said they had received no information about where to vote.

Having said that, if I was really interested in voting (I wasn't) I would have went online or called to figure it out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan