HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ What brought you to town?

I only did the drive between Edmonton and Winnipeg about four or five times there and back while I was a student at U of A, but that was enough for me... the first time is interesting but after that it just feels boring.
Have a friend that moved out there last summer that was looking for visitors, was a long weekend and there was a fair bit going on. I've wanted to visit Winnipeg in the winter for a while now so I figured why not, especially with a free place to stay. Also with the current gas prices it was anly around $50 in transportation costs for two people each way.

The drive wasn't that bad, but I can't comment too much since I've only done it once at this point. I also hadn't been to Moose Jaw, so we cut south early and spent a night there and split the drive on the way there into two days. Did the long haul on the way back though. I also wasn't alone which helps a lot.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:15 PM

Quote:
^ I can keep myself engaged easily for a 1-2 hour drive, but for a 13 hour drive to Edmonton, you REALLY have to like looking at fields to not get bored.
I did do some grad school work on prarie cities and prairie settlement patterns, so I admit to maybe being a bit over engaged in trying to pick up on slight differences in topography and vegetation . Not sure how many times I could pull that off though.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:35 PM

Quote:
^ I can keep myself engaged easily for a 1-2 hour drive, but for a 13 hour drive to Edmonton, you REALLY have to like looking at fields to not get bored.
It's not like its the same crop in every field every year. But I digress.

The similarities/differences between the provinces (outside of the major cities) has more to do each of their environments than their political beliefs.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It's not like its the same crop in every field every year. But I digress.

The similarities/differences between the provinces (outside of the major cities) has more to do each of their environments than their political beliefs.
I agree. Sask of you take the yellow head Hwy is actually a nice drive. It's far from the same fields. It's full of prairie pot holes full of wildlife. Lots of rolling hills and farms. I like it way better then taking the trans Canada in the south. That's boring as boring gets. But it gets more boring once you get into Alberta.

Both the trans Canada and yellowed in Manitoba are very different in the terrain. You have rolling hills to farmers fields to prairie lakes. Again the yellow head in. Manitoba is the nicer drive. But the transcanada is probably the nicest stretch of prairie Hwy in the system.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I agree. Sask of you take the yellow head Hwy is actually a nice drive. It's far from the same fields. It's full of prairie pot holes full of wildlife. Lots of rolling hills and farms. I like it way better then taking the trans Canada in the south. That's boring as boring gets. But it gets more boring once you get into Alberta.

Both the trans Canada and yellowed in Manitoba are very different in the terrain. You have rolling hills to farmers fields to prairie lakes. Again the yellow head in. Manitoba is the nicer drive. But the transcanada is probably the nicest stretch of prairie Hwy in the system.
It is certainly relaxing driving on the TCH. BTW the Yellowhead is twinned from just east of Saskatoon to almost Jasper and Saskatchewan is slowly twinning 16 towards the east. I wonder if Manitoba will ever consider twining its portion of the Yellowhead? At a minimum they should do something to fix that section of 10/16 at Minnedosa, I've seen some horrible accidents there over the years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:13 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
It is certainly relaxing driving on the TCH. BTW the Yellowhead is twinned from just east of Saskatoon to almost Jasper and Saskatchewan is slowly twinning 16 towards the east. I wonder if Manitoba will ever consider twining its portion of the Yellowhead? At a minimum they should do something to fix that section of 10/16 at Minnedosa, I've seen some horrible accidents there over the years.
Almost the entire highway inside of Manitoba has passing lanes as of last year. They also added a new traffic light at the problem intersection at 5W and 16 in Neepawa. What they need is to twin the part of the highway shared with 10, and grade separate the 16S and 10 intersection. That said, there are other priorities that are finally getting addressed, and such a thing is far down the list.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:28 AM
the first stamp is free

We drove the #18 across Saskatchewan to Cypress hills a few years back. Took a couple days and camped along the way. On that road we went just over 100km without passing a car, driveway, farm or any sign of humanity. Not to mention no cell service. Talk about off the beaten track. A bit nerve racking driving a 25 year old vw van with our then 8 month old son. Great trip though. I quite enjoy camping in Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Almost the entire highway inside of Manitoba has passing lanes as of last year. They also added a new traffic light at the problem intersection at 5W and 16 in Neepawa. What they need is to twin the part of the highway shared with 10, and grade separate the 16S and 10 intersection. That said, there are other priorities that are finally getting addressed, and such a thing is far down the list.
Like an interchange at 16 and TCH?
We'll likely see that move up the priority list if the PC's get elected.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:47 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Like an interchange at 16 and TCH?
We'll likely see that move up the priority list if the PC's get elected.

If the PCs win they're supposed to drop the PST one point. That's where 1/3 of the highways budget comes from. Good luck getting much built going from $700M per year in spending to less tha $500M.

Over the last decade, highways in Manitoba have improved about 100%.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
If the PCs win they're supposed to drop the PST one point. That's where 1/3 of the highways budget comes from. Good luck getting much built going from $700M per year in spending to less tha $500M.

Well it had to, there are still areas in the SW that are still little better than prairie trails 2 years after the heavy rains that flooded out the region.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:

If they follow Trump's model, they won't have to cut anything. All promises can be paid for just by cutting the YUGE amount "waste and fraud"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan