HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
On the Tabor changes, higher taxes (or fewer refunds) remains unpopular as ever Lol. The voters have a right to prioritize dollars in their pockets over public spending, even for needed infrastructure. If we have crappy roads and highways, at least it's a choice we've voted on and committed to!
This is ABSOLUTELY nuts. I can do better with extra $40 bucks than the state can with that money. LIFE CHANGING REFUND.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:08 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Reportedly a higher percentage of registered Republicans than Dems turned out for this election. Sadly, political ideology still trumps the Republican base's desire for better roads. But the TABOR vote was also divided among different special interests and even though there exists passionate support for education which would have received two-third's of the funds it was a muddled picture.
Pro-prop CC advertising was also terrible. The message was muddled and it was also delayed as the pro-crowd was working on the language while the against crowd had a few month of extra advertising. The anti-crowd also had a brilliant, simple message that they hammered home that CC would take away your tax refund forever. Doesn't matter that in conflated all refunds, it was very effective. Plus, the Independence Institute lended their usual quirky humor to some of the ads which has always seemed pretty effective.

Go simple. Tie the author to Hitler, Satan, Trump, Stalin, etc. Say that TABOR has killed millions. Find a semi-truthful message that sticks and don't get lost in the weeds.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:47 AM
Up Up and Away

Some interesting visions for downtown Denver

https://www.downtowndenver.com/wp-co...ed-for-web.pdf

Downtown Denver Partnership

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post

Anyone notice the building they are tearing down is pictured as an open lot in one of the renderings for the 16th street mall?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post

Looks like they spit-shined the Brown Palace which is looking very elegant in that 1st photo. I recall this being in the works. It's pretty interesting although I've only made it thru Section One so far. Trying to read while also watching an NBA game slows the process down a tad.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:24 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishko27 View Post
This is ABSOLUTELY nuts. I can do better with extra $40 bucks than the state can with that money. LIFE CHANGING REFUND.
I didn’t vote against it because I care about the refund, I definitely don’t. I just don’t trust the current leadership to spend the money in a way I would agree with. I’m quite content to keep state government lean.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
Anyone notice the building they are tearing down is pictured as an open lot in one of the renderings for the 16th street mall?
That would explain the lack of a site development plan for that lot. Did the developer have plans for something mixed use though? I understand the idea behind rebranding the CBD. However, I hope we just call it upper downtown, as opposed to UpDo.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
On page 20 they discuss tearing down the Cortell's building and using it as an open space until it is redeveloped. They also show a picture showing the current conditions of the building and a rendering of it as open space.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:06 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
As far as the anti-growth initiative, I think it probably passes. It will be interesting to see what sort of formal opposition forms against the anti-growth initiative and what kind of money lines up to oppose it. Even if a pretty good war chest gets built to defeat the proposal, the fact that the Sports Gaming measure is barely eking by despite millions spent to support it and no organized opposition is certainly one indicator that lots of business funding doesn't assure a favorable result on these type of initiatives.
CherryCreek - I know TakeFive doesn't think the growth initiative will really hinder growth in the State of CO, but it will, massively. The couple million dollars that were spent on each of Prop CC and DD are nothing compared to what the business community will spend trying to defeat the growth initiative. I think ten(s) of millions will go into defeating that because the threat is far greater than $20 or $30 million - we have hundreds of times that to lose and that kind of reach is hard to defeat.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:18 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
If you figure it will be 3 years before they break ground and another 5 years to build then the benefits to transit are a decade away. But that was the whole point of building it now so that TOD would come later. It just takes (lots) of time.
TakeFive - lots of good points you make, but one major downfall. Have you taken a look at zoning in the rail corridors that have been approved for 15 years? Hardly any of the municipalities who benefited from light rail have upzoned their corridors to dense TOD - HARDLY any and they've had 15 years now to do it. Outside of Denver, Lakewood was the singular municipality who was proactive (hard to believe, I know). Lakewood comes with a caveat because while they upzoned land, the TOD nodes are so tiny and hold so little potential to contribute to the transit ridership over the long term (even moreso now with their 1% BS). Lone Tree was proactive but they've already essentially developed as a low/medium density suburban TOD (which is great but it's not adding significanr ridership). Aurora has some medium density zoning around their TOD nodes, but nobody can afford to develop density in Aurora because of the cost of doing business there, so it'll never happen without massive incentives.Otherwise, there's hardly ANY dense zoning along rail corridors in the entire metro area.

The bottom line is this: we need many hundreds of thousands of more beds located within 1/2 mile of rail and high frequency bus transit if we want to be able to sustain the MASSIVE system we've now paid for and we can't do that until all these municipalities significantly upzone a whole lot of land.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:35 PM

Yeah I wish we were able to pass upzoning along with FasTracks in 2004. I'm not sure if that would have comported with the state but those corridors should have been much more developed. Lincoln Station has some stuff places like Oxford station are a joke. Frankly, I'm still very upset that RTD didn't use their land at Broadway Station or Colorado Station more effectively.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
CherryCreek - I know TakeFive doesn't think the growth initiative will really hinder growth in the State of CO, but it will, massively. The couple million dollars that were spent on each of Prop CC and DD are nothing compared to what the business community will spend trying to defeat the growth initiative. I think ten(s) of millions will go into defeating that because the threat is far greater than $20 or $30 million - we have hundreds of times that to lose and that kind of reach is hard to defeat.
A couple follow up comments on this. From memory, I thought the ballot submission had already been finalized and that the growth limit would be on the ballot. This is not the case. I see that Ballot Title Setting Board approved the language of the title in September (Initiative 122), but a party has challenged that approval and the case is now pending before the state supreme court. Thus, the proponents have not even begun to collect signatures.

If the court upholds the Ballot Title approval, then the proponents will have six months to collect about 124,000 signatures to get this on the ballot. That's a lot of signatures, but certainly not impossible assuming the proponents can find the manpower to gather signatures.

Still, it's not a sure thing it will make on the ballot.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I didn’t vote against it because I care about the refund, I definitely don’t. I just don’t trust the current leadership to spend the money in a way I would agree with. I’m quite content to keep state government lean.
Quote:
Lone Tree was proactive but they've already essentially developed as a low/medium density suburban TOD (which is great but it's not adding significanr ridership).
As soon as the RidgeGate Parkway station opened it immediately became the 2nd busiest station along the SE Corridor. The last parcel on the west side will be an eight-story apartment. But more importantly the lion's share of TOD will be on the east side which is still ahead, not behind us.

Quote:
Aurora has some medium density zoning around their TOD nodes, but nobody can afford to develop density in Aurora because of the cost of doing business there, so it'll never happen without massive incentives.
Aurora is the one suburb that allowed medium density as they grew. At that time, they received tons of criticism for allowing all those apartments, townhomes and condos. Fast forward (and not counting the 'A Line') Nine Mile Station (along with Littleton/Mineral Station) are the two top performing suburban stations. Florida Stations with NO parking has quickly risen to 25th busiest out of 66 stations.

TOD apartments have been built at Iliff Station, Colfax Station, Fitz Station and Dayton Station. Construction has started for TOD at 2nd and Abilene and an total redevelopment of the old Regatta Plaza across from Nine Mile Station. More TOD is in the works at Fitz, south of Colfax, and near the 13th Ave Station, and condos nearby Aurora Center Station.

Quote:
The bottom line is this: we need many hundreds of thousands of more beds located within 1/2 mile of rail and high frequency bus transit if we want to be able to sustain the MASSIVE system we've now paid for and we can't do that until all these municipalities significantly upzone a whole lot of land.
Not even close; even downtown Denver has only added ~17,000 residents since 2000.

What's needed is a transit system that people want to utilize; it's convenient and accessible - which should include first and last mile service, doesn't take twice as long as driving - it needs to be more efficient with fewer stops and get people where they need to go - which again goes to first and last mile service.

I've already pointed out previously that suburbs need to do more to add density.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
That would explain the lack of a site development plan for that lot. Did the developer have plans for something mixed use though? I understand the idea behind rebranding the CBD. However, I hope we just call it upper downtown, as opposed to UpDo.
Let's just change it from CBD to THC. "The Heart of the City".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
No wonder we can't have nice things.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Let's just change it from CBD to THC. "The Heart of the City".
Priceless!

Should what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas?

Las Vegas passes controversial homeless camping ban
November 6, 2019 By Shea Johnson and Briana Erickson Las Vegas Review-Journal
Quote:
The Las Vegas City Council on Wednesday passed a controversial ordinance that will ban people from camping and sleeping in public areas downtown and in residential areas if there are beds free at established homeless shelters.

Mayor Carolyn Goodman made a passionate plea for action before the vote, lamenting how 20 years of talks since her husband, Oscar, was the mayor, had led to no progress.
Twenty years of no progress? Sounds familiar.

The problem, unfortunately is that too many prefer just to "live off the land". I wouldn't mind if they found an area to create an urban camping ground with access to water, sanitation facilities etc and let them enjoy the land. I nice KOA campground will run $30-$40 a night so it would be a heck of a deal.

You can also read about the latest plan to attack homelessness in Colorado.

National initiative to address homelessness expands in Colorado beyond Metro Denver
November 7, 2019 By Donna Bryson - Denverite
Quote:
Eight more Colorado counties are joining metro Denver in a nationwide initiative aimed at ending homelessness, and they’re getting $500,000 from Kaiser Permanente to plan how best to work together toward their ambitious goal.
If you prefer to contrast and compare there's this

Why homelessness is going down in Houston but up in Dallas
JULY 2, 2019 BY JUAN PABLO GARNHAM - The Texas Tribune
Quote:
But things have radically changed. While redevelopment has maybe made homelessness more visible to the urban core's new residents, the numbers show a 54% decrease in the Houston area's homeless population since 2011. This is according to the Point-in-Time count, a census that is done at the end of each January across the country, including in 11 urban areas of Texas.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 10:33 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Yeah I wish we were able to pass upzoning along with FasTracks in 2004. I'm not sure if that would have comported with the state but those corridors should have been much more developed. Lincoln Station has some stuff places like Oxford station are a joke. Frankly, I'm still very upset that RTD didn't use their land at Broadway Station or Colorado Station more effectively.
haha, I check in every singled year with RTD whether or not they've deemed the ground they do nothing with "excess". They have to make that determination before they offload or collaborate on any land they have and guess what...they never determine any land is excess! They are a joke of an organization and an embarrassment of leadership.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:36 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishko27 View Post
Pretty sure the no votes are philosophical and not actually about a couple sheckles. People in CO are inherently skeptical of government and it's proving out time and again with these elections that they prefer limited government even if it means some things languish like roads, schools, etc. It's not dissimilar to development...it could be a great thing, but folks are skeptical and so they go no.

By the way, as someone who grew up in the Sprizzle, and moved elsewhere in my younger years, I find Colorado roads to be in excellent condition compared to many other places so I don't get the road thing personally. I also find Denver roads much superior to Sprizzle's, but not shocker there. Schools are different, a tale of two stories because the wealthier districts bond their way through to resources while the poorer districts shoot bonds down and don't have sufficient resources.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:43 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
I've already pointed out previously that suburbs need to do more to add density.
Yep, drastically more. Like hundreds of projects and tens of thousands of units more. While the stations you mention are busy, it's a relative term. They are busy compared to other stations in our system, but our entire system is completely lacking ridership when compared to what's needed to sustain the system. I fear unless zoning changes around most stations soon, the FasTracks program will be a gigantic lesson of what not to do - ie spend billions of dollars on public transit but not accompany that investment with local policies that encourage use of those billions of dollars of public infrastructure. Couple that with the need for RTD to solve the last mile problem, it's not looking good. Downward spiral here we go...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Yep, drastically more. Like hundreds of projects and tens of thousands of units more. While the stations you mention are busy, it's a relative term. They are busy compared to other stations in our system, but our entire system is completely lacking ridership when compared to what's needed to sustain the system. I fear unless zoning changes around most stations soon, the FasTracks program will be a gigantic lesson of what not to do - ie spend billions of dollars on public transit but not accompany that investment with local policies that encourage use of those billions of dollars of public infrastructure. Couple that with the need for RTD to solve the last mile problem, it's not looking good. Downward spiral here we go...
it's now $10.50 to take the A line that will probably be delayed from downtown to the airport.

an uber with door to door service is $30.

until we're ready to make some hard choices about uber, rtd will continue to languish. not only are they ripping off their drivers, but they're also destroying almost every public transportation system they can. that's all part of the plan of course. free labor = disaster for us all.

stop uber or shut up.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Lone Tree is by far and wide the most progressive, forward thinking municipality in the Denver area. They are wonderful. It greatly helps that they started from nothing and essentially have one master developer for everything with generational long term capital. The only poor decision Lone Tree made was allowing high end single family homes first, who then decried everything that came after...but they've had strong leadership that has ignored the typical naysayers.
Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I can see, the areas around the transit stations in LT aren't particularly pleasant from an urban perspective. Yes they are higher density in terms of residential, but it doesn't have the integration of retail/housing the same way even Belleview Station does. Now if you're talking about future plans around Lone Tree Station, maybe I can get on board...but we're talking a ways out until that's fully realized.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West