HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Define stadium failures? Is it simply a failure if it doesn't make money
Um, yes. If the claim was it would be a financial boon, and instead it loses money, then absolutely that is a failure.

You and others are publicizing all kinds of completely phony economic benefits that are easily debunked.

Quote:
or is it a success if it brings civic pride,

history (are you aware of the history that has already taken place at a place like the Skydome?)
Now we're getting somewhere. If you want to have a stadium for reasons like this, why not just be honest and admit it? Why dress up your desire for pride and bragging rights in a cloak of lies about financial benefits that it sounds like you are finally learning are an illusion?

So now that we are the truth of the matter, we have something that can be discussed. If the citizens of Saskatchewan would like to have a luxury stadium, a giant status symbol, then let's discuss that. Let's discuss how much money is worth pouring into that dream.

For example I'm pleased that Wascana Lake was refurbished. It improved the park and removed some of the stigma. But I would never have been naive enough to believe that project would actually break even let alone serve as some kind of economic engine. Same story with this stadium boondoggle.

Quote:
millions worth of economic activity,
"economic activity" is the equivalent of magic beans. It has no discernible value and is used only to mislead.

Quote:
Since you brought it up in a previous post, did the downtown study that was just completed state anything negative about a downtown stadium being built? just curious....
No, nor did it explicitly state not to put a coal mine or a UFO landing strip there either. Be reasonable. It talked about doing things that are pretty much the opposite of building a stadium.

Quote:
And you still didn't answer the question as to why you're so against building a stadium at this location when there are numerous other spots already within the downtown core that need revitilization. (some of these locations have been vacant for decades yet you are upset about an exciting development in a completely different area)
Frankly I'd rather see those existing sites be redeveloped. I disagree with your claim that there is a surplus of surface parking in the downtown. I actually think there is a drastic shortage. But that's not what this stadium thread is about so I'd rather stay on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs
perfect for a brand new multiuse complex. Just ask the owner of Bushwakkers and McNally's if he's exciting about this project......
Tell you what... if you can get Robertson to kick in say 100 million, I will give you an unconditional apology. Wait, let's make it even easier. If you can get him to do just $3.5 million (a mere 1% of the stadium's cost) then I'll do the same. Before you waste a lot of time trying, remind yourself that stadium naming rights go for only $375,000 per year.

But if he isn't willing, then you have to admit then publicly that smart business people have assessed the ROI potential of this stadium and have concurred - it's a giant money losing proposition.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan