HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 6:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bad news for snowbirds, as Sunwing cancels 2 warm weather routes
Flights from Moncton and Fredericton airports impacted

CBC News · Posted: Jan 13, 2023 2:42 PM AST | Last Updated: January 13
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cton-1.6713260

Quote:
There's a setback for New Brunswickers looking to escape the cold and snow this winter.

Several air routes to warmer climates offered by Sunwing have been cancelled.

The airline has cancelled weekly Friday flights from Moncton to Varadero, Cuba, and weekly Tuesday flights from Fredericton to Cayo Coco, Cuba.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Bad news for snowbirds, as Sunwing cancels 2 warm weather routes
Flights from Moncton and Fredericton airports impacted

CBC News · Posted: Jan 13, 2023 2:42 PM AST | Last Updated: January 13
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cton-1.6713260
Another key carrier that would’ve helped in building back the numbers for the Greater Moncton Romeo Leblanc international number has decided to turn their backs on the city due to lack of staff. Also I hope the airport has a plan to start drawing in more passengers and routes. I hope that porter will start offering direct YYZ and other city pairs out of yqm. The only thing that we are lacking is a direct US flight but that will take some time and money. But I am always hopeful that one day that I will be able to fly form my local airport than to drive to Halifax, Bangor, or Portland to go to any destinations in the United States.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 11:03 AM

Telegraph Journal has an exclusive article about Saint John Airport, (YSJ), having plans in motion to become New Brunswick’s biggest airport.

Paywalled article but the description said they unveiled plans to use 650 acres of available land to build a logistics park as well as more airport amenities and local services. https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/102050070

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jan 23, 2023 at 11:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Telegraph Journal has an exclusive article about Saint John Airport, (YSJ), having plans in motion to become New Brunswick’s biggest airport.

Paywalled article but the description said they unveiled plans to use 650 acres of available land to build a logistics park as well as more airport amenities and local services. https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/102050070
I doubt that their passenger traffic is going to balloon too much (even if there was more direct offerings). Are there some expected jumps in cargo/freight?

I would love to see the Saint John airport become more prominent, but I am curious what is the precursor to these growth talks. They were growing their passenger numbers at a decent rate pre-covid, but nothing to get too excited about.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I doubt that their passenger traffic is going to balloon too much (even if there was more direct offerings). Are there some expected jumps in cargo/freight?

I would love to see the Saint John airport become more prominent, but I am curious what is the precursor to these growth talks. They were growing their passenger numbers at a decent rate pre-covid, but nothing to get too excited about.
I think this expansion of an logistics park being added is to help/compliment the Port that's been booming. It seems like this expansion is more so for the cargo and freight sector, than for trying to boosting passenger flights/levels. Probably just another revenue/bringing in more use for airport, given the lack of different flights right now. I think the logistics park makes sense since SJ is an industrial city. I know Halifax Airport opened a logistics park last year, so maybe they got the idea from that. I think them saying "becoming the biggest NB airport", they mean the actual overall size of the airport after this expansion will make it bigger than the other NB airports.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 5:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

More cancelled Sunwing flights:

Sunwing has reduced flights from three Maritime airports to some warm-weather destinations for the rest of the winter season, the latest in a series of quiet cancellations from the company.

Routes were cancelled out of Moncton, N.B., Fredericton and Halifax.

Halifax:

Quote:
Halifax Stanfield International Airport confirmed Sunwing reduced routes affecting flights to Orlando, Fla., and two Cuban destinations — Cayo Largo Del Sur and Varadero.

Tuesday flights from Halifax to Cayo Largo del Sur will stop as of Feb. 14, while flights to Varadero — scheduled to operate twice weekly starting in February — have now been reduced to once a week.

Friday flights to Orlando will end as of Feb. 10.
Fredericton:

Quote:
Fredericton International Airport posted on social media that Sunwing cancelled flights from the airport to Cayo Coco, Cuba due to "operational constraints." Flights to Cancun, Punta Cana, and Cayo Santa Maria are operating as scheduled.
Moncton:

Quote:
As for Moncton's airport, one of two weekly flights to Varadero has been cancelled.

Courtney Burns, president of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority, said the airport does not anticipate further flight cancellations from Sunwing for the rest of winter.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:21 AM

Here’s a non-paywall article about YSJ expansion plans.

Quote:
”The Saint John Airport wants to help solidify the city’s position as a logistics hub for the next century.

Officials at the airport unveiled ambitious plans this week for 650 acres of development-ready land.

“The airport has been doing a lot of work, taking a look at the market, where we have opportunity and how we’re going to be able to grow,” Sandy Ross, president and CEO, said in an interview this week.

According to documents provided by the airport, the development-ready land has been divided into four areas.

The largest, about 450 acres, is for a logistics park which could include “air-related service and manufacturing,” along with “freight and logistics operations” and “light industrial.”

In addition, another 105 acres have been set aside for airside development, including the potential for air cargo operations.

Ross said the recent expansion at Port Saint John has “really opened up this opportunity” for the airport and made this plan timely.

“The port, the land transportation and the railroads represent sea, road and rail. But what’s really been missing is air cargo operations,” he said.

“That is what’s really going to open the door, I think, to Saint John being able to solidify its position as a logistics hub for the next century.”

In addition to the logistics park and airside development, the airport also plans to add more amenities such as a hotel, food and beverage services and covered parking.

There is also a piece of land off Loch Lomond Road for additional “local services” such as a gas station and convenience store

Ross said the redevelopment plans come as Transport Canada recently extended the airport’s land lease through the year 2079.

“If you’re going to build a $20-million or a $30-million facility and your land lease is less than 40 or 50 years, you can’t fully depreciate the value of that and get all of the tax advantages associated with that build,” he said.

While the full build-out is likely at least 10 years out, Ross said there would be many long-term advantages for the airport and the community

The CEO said all of the money generated from the leases would go back into the airport’s operations, allowing it to expand services for travellers.

“We’re a not-for-profit and our mandate says that any profits that we make from this have to be re-introduced into the airport in the way of services or lower fees,” said Ross.

YSJ could also use those funds to help attract other carriers that might be looking for “cash bonuses or revenue guarantees or just being able to offset some of the risks” of coming into Saint John, he said.

Ross did not give any dollar figures for the plans but said they hope all of the funding will “essentially be commercially viable.”

“Everything really needs to stand on its own two feet,” said Ross.

But he said the airport may need some government funding in order to get some of the projects started

For example, Ross said the airport would probably need to extend its runway if it were looking into long-range cargo.

Perhaps that would be something we’d be looking to talk to the federal government about borrowing those funds in order to be able to finance a project like that,” he said.

The proposed plan still needs to be approved by the airport’s board of directors, but Ross said the first announcement could be made in the next three or four months”.

https://www.country94.ca/2023/01/25/...ore-amenities/

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jan 25, 2023 at 2:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 1:02 PM

Quote:
I think this expansion of an logistics park being added is to help/compliment the Port that's been booming. It seems like this expansion is more so for the cargo and freight sector, than for trying to boosting passenger flights/levels. Probably just another revenue/bringing in more use for airport, given the lack of different flights right now. I think the logistics park makes sense since SJ is an industrial city. I know Halifax Airport opened a logistics park last year, so maybe they got the idea from that. I think them saying "becoming the biggest NB airport", they mean the actual overall size of the airport after this expansion will make it bigger than the other NB airports.
This is really exciting and make sense. It does not make sense to bring cargo into SJ and then drive it to Moncton for a flight, so I can see YSJ really taking advantage of this with the Port expansion.

Once the cargo business starts booming, the airport can use the funds to get aggressive on passenger growth. The city is really positioned for long term growth, if the province ever gets on board Saint John will start to realize some of its potential which is good for all of NB.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:19 PM

With the talk of YSJ's plans, there's been some chatter/speculation of what YFC's future might look like.

Now that the city officially controls the airport lands, I hope the council is making a committee to start doing some long term planning for the airport area.

Since we aren't really an industrial city, there's less of a push for air cargo at YFC like there is in SJ and Moncton. We'll need some Cargo handling of course, but it's a tertiary focus.

Instead, YFC seems best to focus on PAX services in general, as well as Educational services (ie the Flight School and related).

I would hope to see some more commercial development around the airport in the future, and some upgrades to Lincoln road to better handle the traffic. Zoning to better encourage hotel/food/gas/convenience stores would probably make sense immediately around the airport.

A better connection to the TCH would probably make sense too. Nevers Road is the most direct/best connection, but it has a lot of residential development, so upgrading that to handle Commercial traffic would probably be difficult.

Anyways, it would be nice to see the city work on a 10 year plan for YFC similar to what SJ is doing with YSJ.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Here’s a non-paywall article about YSJ expansion plans.

https://www.country94.ca/2023/01/25/...ore-amenities/
I wonder if that means there will be a 4 way intersection at Loch Lommond and St Martins to have a road to the "outside" runway plans. Which would allow industrial/cargo traffic to avoid entering through the main entrance where they want the hotel/parking garage to be.

Hopefully that garage has some sort of covered walkway to the terminal akin to the one in Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 7:53 PM

Another article on the YSJ plans, but from CBC. Contains a bit more info.

Quote:
"'Logistics park' could be key to future growth, says analyst.

The not-for-profit corporation that runs the Saint John Airport is looking for partners to build a new "logistics park" around its runways.

"It's the opportunity that's available to us now as North America redraws its industrial map," said Sandy Ross, president and CEO.

New operations in Saint John could help companies address supply chain issues which have cropped up during the pandemic, said Ross.

"Air represents a great solution for being able to bring everything from fresh produce to things that need to be delivered in a timely fashion, or things that need to be brought in and stored and then be delivered quickly to another market."

The two "big ticket" types of operations the airport would like to attract are ground transportation and storage and air cargo, he said, adding the property would also be suitable for aircraft maintenance.

If the vision comes to fruition, Ross quipped that it would represent a "quadfecta" for the city, which already has container traffic moving through by "ocean, road and rail."

They could all work together, he said, "completing the picture of Saint John as a logistics hub for North America."

The airport sees this as a more feasible growth opportunity than increasing passenger traffic, Ross admitted, given the size of the local market and the current market conditions, more broadly speaking.

With some airlines reducing their flights to the Maritimes, it's a "tough time," for the region's airports, said Karl Moore, an associate professor in the faculty of management at McGill University with expertise in the aviation industry.

The logistics park is "a very good idea," for the Saint John airport, he said.

"It's quite entrepreneurial of them and clever," said Moore. "I really like the can-do entrepreneurial spirit."

If there are going to be fewer flights, this may be something the airport can do to "serve the community and to pay for itself."

Moore isn't sure any other airports in Canada have a logistics park, but said he's certainly heard of them elsewhere in the world and seen them "turn out to be quite good for the local economy."

He compared the concept to the "cluster" of industrial operations around the Montreal airport, where Bombardier makes executive jets, CAE Inc. makes simulators and Air Canada has its corporate headquarters, for example.

"It probably has a good shot at working out" in Saint John, he said, but "it certainly would be on a smaller scale."

Having access to an airport where planes can land and do things and take off rapidly would appeal to a number of companies, said Moore.

And the proximity of the port is "a nice one-two combination."

"The bulk of shipping is done by sea," he said, "but when you want something rapidly, the airport is going to do it."

Ross estimates there is potential for tens of millions of dollars worth of development in the short term and hundreds of millions in the long term.

Eventually, 3,000 jobs could be housed there, he said, basing that figure on what he said was the typical rate for industrial parks in Atlantic Canada of three to five jobs per acre and the 650 acres available.

The first step in the plan has already been accomplished, said Ross, and that was getting the Saint John Airport Inc.'s land lease with Transport Canada, which owns the airport, extended to the year 2079.

It makes the location more attractive to potential tenants, he said, because they can spread out their building costs over a longer period.

At the moment, airport staff are in conversation with a couple of companies that may be interested in setting up shop in the logistics park, said Ross, but he declined to disclose their names citing confidentiality agreements.

Two "small commercial developments" are in the works now, he said, and could be announced within about four months".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...park-1.6725465

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From 91.9 FM

Quote:
Direct sunshine flights from the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) will return early next month for the first time since the pandemic.

Courtney Burns, YQM president and CEO, noted 10 weekly flights will take sunseekers to Florida, Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.

“In the pre-Christmas period when I was speaking with our charter airline partners, Sunwing and Air Transat, they said a few weeks in the Moncton schedule for the winter and they were nearing 80 to 85 percent sold.”

Sunwing recently cancelled one flight to Varadero out of Moncton but Burns added it should be the only one.

“We have had reassurance from Sunwing that we’re not expecting any further reductions to our schedule this winter.”
Good to have this reassurance from Sunwing.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Westjet cancels flights between Halifax and Europe for summer 2023
Airline mulling bringing transatlantic flights from the city back in 2024
Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2023 2:31 PM AST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rope-1.6730733

This is getting concerning. Both Air Canada and WestJet are retrenching and decreasing service to Atlantic Canadian cities. For WestJet, this is a near complete pullout (except for Halifax). For Air Canada, capacity has remained about the same, but service frequency has dropped as more mid sized jets are used to service the market. Some routes have been lost (like Moncton/Ottawa). Porter and PAL are picking up some of the slack, but not enough. Add to this the woes of Sunwing, and it almost seems like the region is suffering a partial abandonment by the national carriers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2023 2:31 PM AST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

This is getting concerning. Both Air Canada and WestJet are retrenching and decreasing service to Atlantic Canadian cities. For WestJet, this is a near complete pullout (except for Halifax). For Air Canada, capacity has remained about the same, but service frequency has dropped as more mid sized jets are used to service the market. Some routes have been lost (like Moncton/Ottawa). Porter and PAL are picking up some of the slack, but not enough. Add to this the woes of Sunwing, and it almost seems like the region is suffering a partial abandonment by the national carriers.
Which I find really odd especially with how fast Halifax and Moncton are growing! I wonder if it's a post covid cost cutting measure and then hoping in a year or two with the population continuing to increase, aa demand for direct flights to Europe/Caribbean will be larger than it is now.

Really sad about losing Halifax to Europe as I was planning on using that this summer lol.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:

i am wondering if this Halifax YHZ Westjat confusion is the Alberta government reminding Westjat that they have agreed to make Calgary exclusively their Trans Atlantic/Pacific hub for a bomb of money.
I think for a while this year Westjet was trying to get away with YHZ to Europe. I doubt clients from YYZ and area will put up with flying to Calgary to connect to Europe. Halifax would've bene palatable to YYZ/YOW and even YUL travelers and Westjets marketing team knew it.
So now they are stuck.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 7:28 PM

In May, Air Canada is reinstating Moncton-Ottawa direct flights. So, that's something.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 7:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampduLarge View Post
In May, Air Canada is reinstating Moncton-Ottawa direct flights. So, that's something.
Really!

That is good news. I had heard that the reason for the suspension of the route was because of the precipitous drop in federal government traffic back and forth between Moncton and Ottawa during the pandemic (Moncton actually has a large federal presence, especially considering it is not a capital city). Maybe now that the pandemic is (mostly) behind us they expect traffic to rebound.

I imagine this will have no effect on the Porter service between Moncton and Ottawa (especially since the flight continues onwards to Billy Bishop in Toronto). It will be interesting to see if there is enough business to allow PAL to continue servicing this route as well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Really!

That is good news. I had heard that the reason for the suspension of the route was because of the precipitous drop in federal government traffic back and forth between Moncton and Ottawa during the pandemic (Moncton actually has a large federal presence, especially considering it is not a capital city). Maybe now that the pandemic is (mostly) behind us they expect traffic to rebound.

I imagine this will have no effect on the Porter service between Moncton and Ottawa (especially since the flight continues onwards to Billy Bishop in Toronto). It will be interesting to see if there is enough business to allow PAL to continue servicing this route as well.
It's not on AC flight schedule yet. Neither are Ottawa flights on the schedule for Fredericton yet. Would be nice to see these routes again, but so many federal departments still have pretty strict travel restrictions. I know a group I work with frequently could not come to a conference that their department helped fund... Hopefully the federal service catches up with the rest of the world some time before the next pandemic.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:51 PM
New Brunswick booster!

News release from Moncton International Airport saying that flights in 2022 were 70% of pre pandemic levels. Very good numbers. They were expecting 50%.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...54599.amp.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
[...]

A better connection to the TCH would probably make sense too. Nevers Road is the most direct/best connection, but it has a lot of residential development, so upgrading that to handle Commercial traffic would probably be difficult.
I presume adding an offramp at exit 301 from the westbound lanes of the TCH, and an onramp to the eastbound lanes, would help. You could do this by rerouting St Jude St to 102 for the former and Black Watch Ave in the case of the latter. This would be a little weird for Frederictonians, having to go to Oromocto to get to the airport on the TCH, and about two miles longer than using Nevers Rd, but would require demolishing one house only. I mean, Saint John has gotten used to heading north on 1 into Rothesay and exiting onto 111, instead of taking Loch Lomond east to get to the airport, so it should not be a big deal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces