HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:11 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
They're pretty much just painting the area between groups of four windows dark brown to match the glass so that it looks like just one big window rather than four.

I'm quoting Keith's photos here from the off topic thread. I actually liked the old color scheme. It doesn't do it so much anymore because of the added density, but when the sun would hit the building with those reddish colors it had, it really popped in the afternoon. Plus, the east side of downtown is kind of drab, so the spot of color was a good thing for the skyline.

I do like the new color combo. I really like the black vertical stripes. I even like the "blocked" windows and the cream color is pretty classy looking. I also like the contrast with the cream color and the balconies and the "large" windows on the top 2 floors. Still, as always, I'm less enthused by the west facade.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:05 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
vote for Natasha in D1, Pio in D3 and Paige in D8.

Remember who always votes--NIMBYs.
Looks like they all won!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:16 PM

Paige Ellis win in District 8 is a nice surprise. Could this mean that voters west of Mopac down in SW(Circle C mostly) are now trending "progressive"? Mopac used to be a real dividing line in this part of the city.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:21 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Paige Ellis win in District 8 is a nice surprise. Could this mean that voters west of Mopac down in SW(Circle C mostly) are now trending "progressive"? Mopac used to be a real dividing line in this part of the city.
Circle C is no longer really the edge of the city. So, my guess is your starting to see their concerns shift to urban needs and not suburban concerns. i.e. they are now the middle of the traffic jam, not the cause of it.

This is also a fairly incendiary take, but based on two of my cousins and their friends completely scientific sampling, a lot of the more suburban minded voters tend to follow the cities edge.

i.e. my cousin has moved to liberty hill from cedar park from round rock because of the "apartment kids" being a bad influence on her upstanding "home owner" children, and she's already looking to move closer to Andice or Bertram to retire to.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:38 PM

I do my amateur sociology at the local HEB stores. The Brodie/William Cannon store is a little UN practically, with an incredibly diverse customer base. The Circle C HEB at Slaughter and Escarpment used to be almost 100% Anglo with the aisles clogged with stay-at-home moms pushing oversized carts loaded with blond headed children. I have noticed a bit of a shift at that store in the past few years with a somewhat more diverse clientele. I also suspect that there is an anti-Trump/Cruz backlash working even in that part of town. Paige Ellis mailings and phone calls made it clear that her opponent was a big Tea Party and Ted Cruz kind of guy. I always thought it was kind of funny to see so many Democratic yard signs east of Mopac and (this election season at any rate) so few yard signs of any kind west of Mopac. I live just east of Mopac, by the way, in a modest little neighborhood known as Maple Run.

Last edited by austlar1; Dec 13, 2018 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:11 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's Austin. It was bound to go this route eventually. I believe conservatives are fleeing the city.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:16 AM

I think that’s one of the big takeaways from the midterms — the suburbs went big for the Democrats in places that weree formerly either purple or light red. The cities are becoming as homogeneous as the countryside.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:50 AM
Meh

Quote:
They already are, on a certain level. I saw a lot of Beto signs out there a week ago (still) after the election.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:33 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:58 PM

KUT's coverage has the first pic I've seen:

Quote:
Tech giant Apple announced today it plans to invest $1 billion in a new Austin campus. The 133-acre campus off Parmer Lane is about a mile away from Apple's existing campus and would accommodate 5,000 new employees.

Apple already employees 6,200 Austinites and says its new campus could allow it to boost its Austin workforce to as many as 15,000 employees, which would make it the largest private employer in Austin.

“Apple is proud to bring new investment, jobs and opportunity to cities across the United States and to significantly deepen our quarter-century partnership with the city and people of Austin,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, in the announcement.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler says he’s happy that Apple is deepening its investment in the city.

“I’ve always appreciated and continue to appreciate their commitment to diversity and inclusion," Adler told KUT. "There’s is an emphasis on providing jobs for veterans and jobs that are middle-skill for people who live here. So this is a good thing.”

Apple says the 5,000 jobs it plans to bring to Austin will be in its engineering, R&D, finance, sales and customer support departments. The company also announced plans today to build new sites in Seattle, San Diego and Culver City and expand its facilities in New York, Pittsburgh and Colorado.

Apple executives will hold a press conference announcing the move this morning at 10:30 with Gov. Greg Abbott and Mayor Steve Adler.
http://www.kut.org/post/apple-says-i...s-north-austin

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:02 PM

Good news overall (and other cities would "kill" for this) but too bad it couldn't be closer to a transit area. It's interesting how Google, Facebook, Indeed, etc. are aiming for the denser areas of the city while Apple is happy with the suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:15 PM

So now we know why the last Project Connect revision added a "BRT lite" on Parmer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:13 PM

I also saw this yesterday Resideo is moving it's Headquarters to Austin from Minneapolis

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300764214.html

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Another NIMBY She will be a pawn for the SOS crowd

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Good news overall (and other cities would "kill" for this) but too bad it couldn't be closer to a transit area. It's interesting how Google, Facebook, Indeed, etc. are aiming for the denser areas of the city while Apple is happy with the suburbs.
Apple has a lot more lower wage workers. The real estate and parking costs matter a lot more when you are employing customer service reps rather than software developers.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
I also saw this yesterday Resideo is moving it's Headquarters to Austin from Minneapolis

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300764214.html
I think they announced the move when they spun off from Honeywell and went public in October. But this has new info with office location and number of workers.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:06 AM
World Traveler

Looking at the map and pondering things...

While obviously more transit in that area with an added 5,000+ workers is a must, more parallel roads could also help. I could see Pearson Ranch Road continuing south of 45N, crossing McNeil Road, the railroad tracks, and then meeting up with a non-existing road going from Parmer to Howard just west of the older neighborhood there (Preston Oaks / McNeil Estates, etc.). This would help form a quasi-grid of larger roads that could ease traffic on Parmer a bit, especially with Anderson Mill connecting over, etc. Very incomplete thoughts...but something needs to happen in that area or Parmer is going to be more of a parking lot than it currently is...

Last edited by drummer; Dec 14, 2018 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:36 PM

This is 3 miles from our house!!!
Merry Christmas to me!!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:57 PM

So I live about 6 blocks from Parmer down Dallas Drive. RIP my commute. And RIP me ever buying a house in my up-till-now quiet little neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
So I live about 6 blocks from Parmer down Dallas Drive. RIP my commute. And RIP me ever buying a house in my up-till-now quiet little neighborhood.
Buy now. Ride the wave. There won’t be 15k people for years and years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin