HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:09 AM
Dreamer

^ developers had to respond by that date ... no news yet.

To put things into perspective, for those of you that have never worked with any level of governement ... the Esplanade Riel was worked on for years with the City behind closed doors and hidden from the public before the masses really new about it. I'll have to show you the early sketches of it sometime.

Last edited by c vist; Feb 13, 2007 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:51 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Thanks for the update..

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Before the public sees anything it has to go before council, which i believe they are planning to do april/may. Just have to keep waiting ladies.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:05 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Before the public sees anything it has to go before council, which i believe they are planning to do april/may. Just have to keep waiting ladies.
Is there an actual developer for this "project"? .. or is this just a city concept of what they would like to see. The way this project is progressing I am having my doubts that there is much private interests involved? Please tell me I am all wrong on this feeling. I did hear rumours of new highrise condo across from Union Station a while back.. but the way this is progressing I am starting to have my doubts.

...... just another little note.. April 1 is slowing getting closer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 8:00 PM
surely you agree with me

there are some very powerful people pushing the 'all park' proposal....including hartley richarson and others.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 8:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Is there an actual developer for this "project"? .. or is this just a city concept of what they would like to see. The way this project is progressing I am having my doubts that there is much private interests involved? Please tell me I am all wrong on this feeling. I did hear rumours of new highrise condo across from Union Station a while back.. but the way this is progressing I am starting to have my doubts.
both large scale projects have developers....it isnt make believe, from what i hear, the city is requiring a lot of information and background from the proponents.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 9:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
there are some very powerful people pushing the 'all park' proposal....including hartley richarson and others.
intresting...

i rather it be a mix not just a park........

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 6:40 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
intresting...

i rather it be a mix not just a park........
Obviously the Richardsons aren't the backers of this project. With that said I would also like to see a mix including some highend condos. Perhpas this proposed building interfers with a potencial Richardson project. I know they own a large amount of quality in the downtown area.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
presumably an analysis was done that identified a need for whatever is/was going to be contained in the highrise...
if the project just turns out to be a park, does that mean there's then a chance the developer would locate the highrise somewhere else (like, closer to P&M, for example, where it would look better and make more sense)??

any thought, viking??

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:04 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Well of course, they own Lombard Place..why would they want another competing class 'A' tower?

No more parks please, our city already has too many neglected parks downtown. If parks are a priority I would rather have the city clean up existing places like Old Market Square or Central Park.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 15, 2007 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:08 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

What I find most concerning are the statements made in the Free Press regarding the Lakeview proposal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Free Press
The 11-storey St. Mary Avenue hotel, which will be called The Signature Suites by Lakeview, was originally announced two years ago as a 15-storey hotel/condo complex. However, Levit said Monday that Lakeview officials have now decided to scrap the condo portion of the project and make it just a straight hotel.

"The condo market has really slowed down," he said. "People are sitting there with empty condos, so we decided to eliminate the condos. We just decided we didn't want to get into that."
It would appear that detached single family homes are still too cheap in this city to merit construction of highrise residential units.

In places like Vancouver or Toronto highrise towers make sense because the average homeowner can't afford to live in a bungalow. I think it might be a while before we see another 55 Nassau or Fort Garry Place.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:14 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Well of course, they own Lombard Place..why would they want another competing class A tower?

No more parks please, our city already has too many neglected parks downtown. If parks are a priority I would rather have the city clean up existing places like Old Market Square or Central Park.
Someone would have to be pretty brave, or certifiably insane, to build another Class A office tower in Winnipeg. I can't see that the Richardsons would be concerned about that.

It seems like a good place for a park to me, but there's obviously lots of room for a residential building as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:19 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Someone would have to be pretty brave, or certifiably insane, to build another Class A office tower in Winnipeg. I can't see that the Richardsons would be concerned about that.

It seems like a good place for a park to me, but there's obviously lots of room for a residential building as well.
I just can't see it becoming a well used park. Like the Forks beside it, any park at 100 main is just too cut off from the fabric of downtown.

I suppose if they restored the fort it could be a popular draw, but outside of that I can't see many people visiting a park at that location on a regular basis.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:24 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'm not sure how feasible some of these proposals are..

But in my opinion a new high-rise would offer the most bang for the urban renewal buck. Such a development would be a highly visible project that would do a great deal more to restore the public’s confidence in downtown.

Parks tend to go unnoticed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 2:34 AM
the first stamp is free

I think it's a great place for a park - provided they do it right. Hopefully we don't end up with a couple benches, some plaques and a few stunted trees.

I would like to see a period restored fort and interpretive sight that can blend in to the whole Forks, river walk area.

If the proposed tower is anything besides dirt cheap condos - or apartments, I seriously think it will be a non starter. There is no market for office downtown, and I doubt they can sell enough high end condos there for a larger tower.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 5:52 AM
ILYR

The key about this location is that it lies on top of Upper Fort Garry. So the park proposal is not just a "park" proposal. This is an integral part of Winnipeg and Canadian history. The idea of a tower here is likely based on the idea that it would be "river" property, much like the next door Fort Garry Pace (If I am wrong, correct me). Thus, moving the tower to another location may not be in the developers interest.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 10:24 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

My guess is the developer behind the high-rise proposal is the same guy who was behind Place Dubrovnik or whatever that condo tower was to be called on Assiniboine ave.

Some of you Winnipeg SSP'ers might recall a condo proposal from a year or two ago to build a new tower along the Assiniboine at the Dubrovnik restaurant site.

It would make sense that the developer would seek out a river lot. Almost every major residential tower in our city is along the river or within a short walking distance from it.

Outside of the Exchange, the waterfront is probably the only part of the downtown suburbanites would ever consider moving to.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 15, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 3:42 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
My guess is the developer behind the high-rise proposal is the same guy who was behind Place Dubrovnik or whatever that condo tower was to be called on Assiniboine ave.

Some of you Winnipeg SSP'ers might recall a condo proposal from a year or two ago to build a new tower along the Assiniboine at the Dubrovnik restaurant site.

It would make sense that the developer would seek out a river lot. Almost every major residential tower in our city is along the river or within a short walking distance from it.

Outside of the Exchange, the waterfront is probably the only part of the downtown suburbanites would ever consider moving to.
Yes .... and a riverfront condo in the exchange would be very attractive to young professionals who want to live the urban lifestyle. You must realize tha there are some suburbanites who are interested in downtown as well.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 3:51 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
What I find most concerning are the statements made in the Free Press regarding the Lakeview proposal:

It would appear that detached single family homes are still too cheap in this city to merit construction of highrise residential units.

In places like Vancouver or Toronto highrise towers make sense because the average homeowner can't afford to live in a bungalow. I think it might be a while before we see another 55 Nassau or Fort Garry Place.
Its not only price which attracts people to highrise condos. Infact there are many expamples of highrise units exceeding average detached house prices. Even in Toronto and Vancouver. Its the attraction to a more exciting environemnt.. and being closer to work. Its also the thrill of living 30 stories up and having the city glittering below to greet you after returning from a night on the town.

I don't think the condo market is drying up... just lowrise buildings may be less desirable downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 3:52 AM
Movin' on up

Listen; can we please just do whatever it takes to make this city attractive to young, intelligent professional people to live in and who will brag to those across the country of how Winnipeg is a kickass city to live in? Is this possible?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan