HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

80 South Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 6:22 AM

Makes me wish Trump had built his Stock Exchange tower. That would have changed the rules - literally as well as figuratively - on height. Whole different ballgame.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Makes me wish Trump had built his Stock Exchange tower. That would have changed the rules - literally as well as figuratively - on height. Whole different ballgame.
Shame they never went 1776ft or 2000ft with 1WTC with a similar design. Would and should have stayed the tallest in the city for decades to come. Oh well.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 5:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Will be a while before we see something like this rise here I feel. I think once the ultra luxury market picks up again, we may see something rise here. 2023/2024 is my prediction when actual movement may occur.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Will be a while before we see something like this rise here I feel. I think once the ultra luxury market picks up again, we may see something rise here. 2023/2024 is my prediction when actual movement may occur.
So the height is locked? Or just the site in general for development? Shame 45 Broad Street height can't get bumped.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 7:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
So the height is locked? Or just the site in general for development? Shame 45 Broad Street height can't get bumped.
The height? We've seen some proposals around the 1,500 range so I don't think it is.

If either ever end up getting built, 45 Broad will fit in perfectly IMO

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The height? We've seen some proposals around the 1,500 range so I don't think it is.

If either ever end up getting built, 45 Broad will fit in perfectly IMO
1500? Yikes. Yeh Broad is spectacular. Hopefully a delay will result in a height bump.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 8:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That height is what they were allowed to build up to as for as floor area. That wouldn't account for any specific design element (wind-breaks, crowns, etc.)

Some examples of how we saw that play out...

_

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Shame they never went 1776ft or 2000ft with 1WTC with a similar design. Would and should have stayed the tallest in the city for decades to come. Oh well.
I agree that 1WTC looks best when it remains head and shoulders above all nearby buildings. But we wouldn't want that to impede progress, would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
When we saw this last April, we guesstimated it to be around 1,700 ft. Hopefully that's still a possibility. By NYC standards, 1,400 footers are starting to feel like a yawn!

BTW, I just realized that this design would have been wonderful for Central Park Tower. Would be nice if it's selected for 80 South Street, and if it's over 1,550 ft (CPT's height).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Yes, that has always been a disappointment for me. Around 2200' with the spire.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
When we saw this last April, we guesstimated it to be around 1,700 ft. Hopefully that's still a possibility. By NYC standards, 1,400 footers are starting to feel like a yawn!

We have become spoiled with towers. Just 10 years ago, a skyscraper built in 1931 was once again the tallest in the city, with no real competition on the skyline. Things change very quickly. That's why it doesn't bother me that this isn't being built today. It's not as if we haven't had our hands full with other skyscrapers. This will happen down the line, eventually. Last we heard, five firms were invited to bid. I don't think anything became of that.

But it's not hard to see how whatever design gets built here would be iconic on the skyline.

https://www.mingtiandi.com/real-esta...cisco-project/

Quote:
2020/03/30
BY JAMES HATTON

By mid-2019 the company had put up for sale its condo tower project at 80 South Street in Manhattan with an asking price of $300 million, without having broken ground on the 113-storey development.

Oceanwide had originally acquired the luxury residential project from the Howard Hughes Corp for $390 million in 2016. As of the time of publication the developer had yet to find a buyer for its Manhattan project as New York remains glutted with luxury condominiums.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 31, 2020 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:13 AM

I personally prefer this design:

Any change of it coming back into fruition?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:15 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

odds are when it does come back it will be two smaller apt towers.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:21 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Yes, that has always been a disappointment for me. Around 2200' with the spire.

this? all versions hideous no thx

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
We can only hope. It's a nice design but it completely ruins the continuity of that part of the skyline. Pop it next to One Manhattan Square instead.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Highly doubt it. It doesn’t really have a footprint for that. But more importantly, no one’s gonna buy it if they can’t sell sky high condos the site is zoned for, at least at a decent price. Likely why it hasn’t been bought yet, even at a discount.

https://therealdeal.com/2019/06/07/c...-seaport-site/

Quote:
China Oceanwide bought the site from the Howard Hughes Corp. in 2016 for $390 million. It was an all-cash deal, and this is the first debt China Oceanwide’s put on the property.

The company earlier this year hired Cushman & Wakefield to sell the site with initial pricing talk of nearly $300 million, according to Commercial Observer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:22 PM
New Yorker for life

This is the reason the building is so tall, and why it's likely to remain that way. Before China Oceanwide bought the site, Hughes transferred a huge chunk of development rights from the Seaport District onto what was already a combined but relatively small site. The sale was contingent on that, because it would produce a site with over 800,000 sf zoned (ultimately over a 1 msf) tower. That left nowhere to go but up. Further complicating it is the fact that both sites in the footprint directly border the Historic Seaport District, making expanding the footprint highly unlikely, if not impossible. So whoever develops this site will have to build within the confines of this...

The two sites below the historic district...

A very tight spot to squeeze a million sf tower...

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 31, 2020 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:02 PM

Wow amazing info. Thanks. But it's made it even worst for me because I always thought if it got built it would eventually have similar height buildings next door......that explains Trump trying to build so high on that plot in the 90s.

Still I hope it's just a little taller than 1 Seaport so it fits in better.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Wow amazing info. Thanks. But it's made it even worst for me because I always thought if it got built it would eventually have similar height buildings next door......that explains Trump trying to build so high on that plot in the 90s.

Still I hope it's just a little taller than 1 Seaport so it fits in better.

No, the city isn’t meant to have a level, flat skyline. One of the issues with the Hudson Yards is the lack of variation in the heights. In a couple of years, you will have 6 or more buildings in close proximity to one another of more or less 1,000 ft. 30 Hudson won’t be part of that pack, but it’ll just be head above water. This building will stand out more, and become a welcome counter balance to the WTC on the opposite side. Towers like 45 Broad and maybe even 250 Water Street will also add to it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
No, the city isn’t meant to have a level, flat skyline. One of the issues with the Hudson Yards is the lack of variation in the heights. In a couple of years, you will have 6 or more buildings in close proximity to one another of more or less 1,000 ft. 30 Hudson won’t be part of that pack, but it’ll just be head above water. This building will stand out more, and become a welcome counter balance to the WTC on the opposite side. Towers like 45 Broad and maybe even 250 Water Street will also add to it.
Well it's been consistent for decades at that level be shame to ruin it. I'd hardly call that part a flat skyline either. In terms of the classic Brooklyn Bridge shot I think it would just look ridiculous to jump from 700ft to 1400ft. However I have no issues from any other vantage point. It will stand out seeing as it would be the last tall building of that group.

maybe not as tall as that but still

Though for me really 1WTC like the Twin Towers should be the focal point of Lower Manhattan. 1WTC doesn't come close to the clout or presence of the Twins so will gradually lose it's present amongst taller buildings to come. Perhaps they will sort out that twig finally.

But yeh Hudson Yards, as a concept is pretty awesome but visually it's hardly classic New York or any skyline.

Last edited by SkyHigher; Mar 31, 2020 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 9:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Well it's been consistent for decades at that level be shame to ruin it. I'd hardly call that part a flat skyline either.
You probably wouldn't call it flat, but that's because it's what you're used to. The lower Manhattan skyline was a lot more interesting when it had dominating towers and various peaks. It wasn't until the 60's when they really started filling it in, to the point where you needed the WTC to create anything interesting. After 9/11, that became more apparent, with the absence of those towers the lower Manhattan skyline was something less than exciting to look at.

https://theweek.com/captured/601091/manhattan-1930s

https://funnyjunk.com/channel/The-Mu...+back/kDwzLxQ/

https://www.tumbral.com/tag/hindenburg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/denise_miller/3218219517/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals