HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:05 PM

Dallas Proton Treatment Center at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center announced in July 2012 plans to play a key role in operating a new, state-of-the-art proton therapy center for child and adult cancer patients in the North Texas area. Dallas Proton Treatment Center will be adding to an extensive list of radiation oncology services with the development of the $225 million, 100,000 sq. ft. facility (which will be the largest in the State).

Dallas Proton Treatment Center has partnered with Advanced Particle Therapy, LLC to fund, design, build, equip, commission and initiate operation of the Dallas Proton Treatment Center Proton Treatment Center. It will be the second proton therapy facility built in the state, featuring at least four treatment vaults and laboratory space for researchers. Site selection for the facility is intended to focus on the land near the Dallas Proton Treatment Center campus.

The Dallas Proton Treatment Center will treat patients with brain, prostate, lung, and head and neck tumors with the potential to improve medical outcomes, reduce side effects and promote the understanding of the use of advanced technologies in cancer therapy.

The core of the new facility will be a particle accelerator capable of speeding up protons to a super-fast velocity – roughly 112,000 miles per second or 60 percent the speed of light. Early in the project’s development, Dallas Proton Treatment Center officials will evaluate and select the most useful type of accelerator for the purpose of treating cancer.

The Dallas Proton Treatment Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas is currently in the design and planning phase.

http://www.advancedparticletherapy.c...eatment-center

POSTER'S NOTE: This newly announced $225 million dollar, 100,000 square foot Proton Center development is in addition to the $800 million dollar, 1.3 million square foot, 12 story University Hospital project currently underway along with the $1.3 billion dollar, 2.5 million square foot, 17 story Parkland Hospital project that is also currently underway - all within UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas.

UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas is currently undergoing a massive building boom of nearly $2.5 billion dollars - the greatest expansion of any medical center in the State that will further elevate UT Southwestern's already lofty status as one of the leading medical research, training, hospital, and patient care districts in the nation and the State.

This is a panoramic view of UT Southwestern Medical District Dallas that I took in Oct. 2010, prior to the cranes sprouting for the massive growth listed above:

Dallas Medical District to expand by 3.8 million square feet, 10-12-10
by skys the limit2, on Flickr

Last edited by skys the limit; Oct 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:27 PM

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines expanding its World Headquarters

View of Southwest Headquarters campus from the east, 2009

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines has broken ground on its $100 million dollar, half million square foot headquarters expansion with plans to hire 1,000 employees.

This growth of Southwest's World Headquarters is a direct result of its acquisition of AirTran airways in May of this year.

The May acquisition expanded Southwest by about 25 percent, adding nearly 140 jets to Southwest’s fleet of 550 and 8,000 employees to its workforce of about 35,000. The Dallas campus was already at capacity before the merger, and the arrival of new employees is pressing the issue, officials said.

Southwest Airlines plans to expand its headquarters near Dallas Love Field airport by building a 492,000-square-foot addition to the corporate campus, called Headquarters West, which will help create jobs and support expanded services, said Mike Van de Ven, the airline’s executive vice president of operations.

The headquarters expansion is across the street from its current headquarters building near the Dallas Area Rapid Transit train station off Denton Drive ...

Related articles:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...expansion.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...1000-with.html

Last edited by skys the limit; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 10:01 PM

Downtown Dallas booming

New attractions, events draw crowds to Downtown Dallas

Video: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/196594...#ixzz285I4MsEH

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 4:29 PM CDT Updated: Sep 27, 2012 4:32 PM CDT
By: Calvert Collins, myFoxDFW.com

DALLAS - Downtown Dallas used to be a ghost town after the work day ended. Only a handful of Dallasites lived downtown in the mid-90s, but now it's bustling with thousands of urban dwellers.

And, events like this past weekend's Dallas Video Festival are attracting more locals and tourists to the area after the sun goes down.

For example, the famous green Bank of America tower faced fierce competition as the new Omni Hotel became a giant electronic canvas with a 52-minute art installation compiled by 14 artists.

"We all wanted to really exploit this opportunity, despite the low-res format, that could be meaningful to all kinds of people," said Carolyn Sorter, a local artist.

"No one can ever say there's nothing to do in downtown Dallas again," added John Crawford, president of Downtown Dallas Inc.

The area used to be the place to work, not eat or play. In 1996 only 200 people lived in a single high rise. Now 40,000 people live in downtown thanks to more old buildings being converted to apartments and lofts. Plus, there are now 250 bars, restaurants and lounges.

"Back 25 years ago, people wanted to be in the suburbs. Today people in their early 20s to mid to late 30s all wanna be in the urban live, work and play environment," Crawford said.

Even suburban dwellers are visiting after hours.

"We live about an hour away from here, but we do come downtown for entertainment and things like that," said Debbie Burns, who has worked downtown for 14 years.

But it almost didn't happen. In 2004, Dallas took a big hit losing the new Cowboys Stadium to Arlington.

"I think it was considered a setback for downtown, but all that did was kick us into gear to figure out how we're going to replace that," Crawford said.

The timeline sped up and in the past year the Omni, the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge and Dallas City Performance Hall opened. The Klyde Warren Park will open next month and the Perot Museum of Nature and Science is scheduled to open in January.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 12:27 AM

Update of Klyde Warren Park with a grand opening on Oct. 28

http://m.facebook.com/TheParkDallas?...700740216&_rdr

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:36 AM

Inland Port gets a big boost

Quote:
Published: 30 September 2012 10:13 PM

With North Texas already hosting 18 Fortune 500 companies, it might not seem like a big deal when a company the size of L’Oreal says it’s coming to town with a big warehousing project. Rest assured, though, this is big news because the France-based cosmetics giant is choosing southern Dallas to make its stand.

L’Oreal plans to break ground Monday on a $17 million, 513,000-square-foot regional distribution hub at the International Inland Port of Dallas, a multi-modal conglomeration of shipping and production facilities ideally situated to exploit major rail and highway cargo routes from Mexico, the Port of Houston and the West Coast. This project will build much-needed international attention for a port project that could generate thousands of jobs in an area long starved of employment opportunities.

The Inland Port, which covers 234,000 acres across 12 municipalities, has experienced some major hiccups since it was conceived in 2005. Dallas and neighboring cities have grappled with infrastructure issues. The port’s biggest investor, the Allen Group, is emerging from bankruptcy after its 6,000-acre project fell victim to the recession and political infighting.

Activity is picking up again. The giant Union Pacific cargo facility on Interstate 45 is stacked high with shipping containers. Brisk truck traffic is spurring offshoot investments in hotels, restaurants and mega-fuel stations. In the past year, Home Depot announced a major expansion of its distribution center near Interstate 20. Kohl’s Department Stores, Whirlpool and American Standard are doing likewise.
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/ed...-big-boost.ece

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Update of Klyde Warren Park with a grand opening on Oct. 28
I think one of the most impressive views of the park is seen when you approach it from the north on Central. You see all the greenery and structures, right before you go underneath it all. Very cool!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:36 AM
Everywhere all at once

Have they built/are they still going to build that really cool water feature? I believe it was intended at one end of the park, or if it wasn't, it was flanking one of the cross streets. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Have they built/are they still going to build that really cool water feature? I believe it was intended at one end of the park, or if it wasn't, it was flanking one of the cross streets. Can anyone enlighten me?
I was wondering the same thing. That was going to be a big draw to the park but I just see grass planted in it's place. Very disappointing if they don't incorporate it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 7:13 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. That was going to be a big draw to the park but I just see grass planted in it's place. Very disappointing if they don't incorporate it.
I agree. I felt it would become such a city icon. I hope they do include it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 7:59 AM

Its all about money. Haven't gotten the donations necessary for it yet. Will come in the near future I imagine though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:42 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Dallas continues to be more vibrant than ever.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
Dallas continues to be more vibrant than ever.
^^^^^^^^

Partial view of Downtown Dallas shot on 09-30-12 looking south taken from the 22 story highrise condo tower La Tour in Uptown.

The under construction "Residences at the Stoneleigh" highrise condo tower can be seen on the far right of the image.

Image is courtesy of John McKee from Dallas Metropolis and taken from his patio at LaTour:

Last edited by skys the limit; Oct 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 7:27 AM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 10:41 PM

The DFW Dart stations is going to be so awesome!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 11:57 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Looks very unique!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 12:17 AM

Go Dallas. That looks awesome!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
Beautiful - what a great project for Dallas! I wish some other cities were able to pull off projects like this. Kudos Big D!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:55 PM

A view looking west, and south toward Downtown, from Klyde Warren Park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...#ssStory741633

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations