HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 9:06 PM
1st Ward

^ Even more exciting to consider that it still has about 200 ft more to go. It already looks crazy tall.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
The frustum shaped glass is supposed to go on the bumped-out center section with the angled columns. The haven't installed any panels in that section yet, so I'm holding out hope.

That said, they do have four straight steel vertical beams mounted in that area. I assume this is to support whatever system they'll use to hold the glazing system in place, but I'm a little concerned that these would't compliment the jagged design of the frustum pattern.
The "vertical steel beams" are actually called structural 'tubes', they are in tension, and are there to hang the floor below from the cantilevered concrete angled columns and the floor above... take a look at the renderings or even the on-site photos and imagine if that floor were not hung... that would be one miracle cantilever!

the hanging 'tubes' are not depicted in the renderings (not unlike all of the exterior concrete shear walls that also disappeared in the renderings) and although their primary structural purpose is to hang the floor, I wouldn't be surprised to see them reinforce the window wall horizontally... still, that trapezoidal window wall will have to have it's own structural integrity built in...

couldn't help but also notice that the frustum window wall appears significantly different in the renderings and does not depict any operable windows which so far, with what little is already installed, will be making a significant pattern on the elevations...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:06 PM

https://public.earthcam.net/vistatow...Tower/View%201

Webcam back up and working with new angles for anyone interested.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
I'm holding out hope for it, too. I think it would make for a beautiful effect from ground level upon entry and is such a great nod to the design of the entire building. Good point about the steel beams, I don't see them in the rendering/they would look bad with the frustrum pattern
I found another rendering. It shows how the structural tubes ;-) will look.

Edit: Thank you Hawkeyes10 for the webcam link!

Last edited by kolchak; Oct 10, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:41 AM

If it comes out anything close to those renderings, the base will be a beaut

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
The "vertical steel beams" are actually called structural 'tubes', they are in tension, and are there to hang the floor below from the cantilevered concrete angled columns and the floor above... take a look at the renderings or even the on-site photos and imagine if that floor were not hung... that would be one miracle cantilever!

the hanging 'tubes' are not depicted in the renderings (not unlike all of the exterior concrete shear walls that also disappeared in the renderings) and although their primary structural purpose is to hang the floor, I wouldn't be surprised to see them reinforce the window wall horizontally... still, that trapezoidal window wall will have to have it's own structural integrity built in...

couldn't help but also notice that the frustum window wall appears significantly different in the renderings and does not depict any operable windows which so far, with what little is already installed, will be making a significant pattern on the elevations...
Thanks so much for this. When you say "hang the floor" you mean support it, right? Since they are called tubes, I am assuming they're hollow. Why is that better?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Awesome thank you for posting, they seem like they'll blend in pretty well. I still love it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post

Crazy. I had always thought those were added after-the-fact in preparation for the windows. Just went back through my photos and realized they've been there the whole damn time. I suppose it never occurred to me that it would have been an impossible cantilever for a normal floor slab.

Quote:

Good find!

Quote:
Thanks so much for this. When you say "hang the floor" you mean support it, right? Since they are called tubes, I am assuming they're hollow. Why is that better?
Correct, those tubes are supporting the slab from above. It's not better per se, but in order to keep a column free space below, it is necessary.

Here you can see the way the slab sticks out from the base of the angled columns with the tubes holding up the weight along the outside edge.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:01 PM

Those tubes are most definitely in the rendering above, how do you not see them? They are painted white to more or less hide them, but they are clearly there...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Upper and lower level south

upper level north turnaround
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Those tubes are most definitely in the rendering above, how do you not see them? They are painted white to more or less hide them, but they are clearly there...
The renderings in the post above were the ones I was originally referencing in regards to not seeing the tubes. The most recent rendering Kolchak posted clearly depicts them.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:14 PM

More glass going up on the south side right now

And this guy just enjoying the view

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRILLHO View Post
And this guy just enjoying the view
I really like this photo, the vista tower is absolutely enormous and this provides scale.

A quick edit makes it looks like a super edgy instagram post.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:20 PM

10 October 2018

What was once just the top of a tiny crane is now the full tower in all its glory.

ENHANCE:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:32 PM

drove up LSD from 63rd today. Wow. It's giant

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
In case you were referring to only the tubes themselves and why are they hollow, in most instances when lighter loads are being hung, 'rods' are used which are just what they sound like, a solid, round cross section of steel... when the weight becomes greater, a larger steel member is necessary and that can take any number of shapes, whether a typical 'I' section or a round or square tube... it's not solid because it doesn't need to be... it's really all a function of the steel necessary to do the job, cost, and meeting the aesthetic objectives of the architect...

BTW, a structural cross section in steel, is always significantly stronger in tension (hanging) than it is in compression (holding up)... think of suspension bridges and the difference between the towers and the cables...

Last edited by pilsenarch; Oct 11, 2018 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:15 AM

I forgot about your view gebs... shows just how much impact this tower will have from so many angles we don't really thing about. Awesome updates everyone!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:19 PM

10/10/2018

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:50 PM

Today

Great views from the (now) updated webcams! Thanks again for reminding me about that link Hawkeyes10

https://public.earthcam.net/vistatow...%201/timelapse

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:54 PM

Last edited by alegalvvan94; Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Image was not showing

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:22 AM
devout Pizzatarian

* off topic posts deleted *

This is the vista tower thread.

Not the "chicago is the most bestest skyline ever!!!" thread.

Please keep discussions on-topic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture