HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Same wall with flower planters. Which I said look nice.

My point is. In this residential neighbourhood, there is no action on the street. It's walled off from where the people are. To Peg's point, it's lazy.

At least having some type of ground level walk-up would make it feel more like a neighbourhood.

I love that all the run down places are being replaced. But like I said, not ideal IMO.
Agreed. Walk ups would be far superior.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:23 PM

Disagree on the design has lazy street interaction. My wife and I sitting on out patio playing a game of cribbage can still say Hi to people walking by, but I dont need them being able to see my cards and telling her what I have! Also, think about the massive increase of non-desirables walking our streets and the massice increase in property crime. Having a "small barrier" wont stop them, but it makes it less easy for them.

Great discussion, but as a future condo owner (3-5 yrs) I personally would love one of these ground floor suites. the advantage of having a large patio, outweights having a higher floor river view but much smaller outdoor space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:26 PM

and as FYI Vue Tache on on google maps yet, but their ground floor balconies are walkups. sketch image here

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:21 PM

The Parmalat plant in St Boniface was torn down a few years ago. I wonder what they have in store for that site? It's a huge property. Apartments? Single-family dwellings?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:35 PM

There was a fairly large proposal a while back. IIRC 3 different options with one option having a 10 storey or so building.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:45 PM

weed infested site with grafiiti on concrete wall - sooooo much potential.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There was a fairly large proposal a while back. IIRC 3 different options with one option having a 10 storey or so building.
That's be a dense option for sure but idk if it would be appropriate to the locale. You could probably get away with a nice court of 6-7 story buildings with awesome street interaction and some interior courts/gardens/etc and it wouldn't be so jarring to the neighbourhood. Nothing nothing nothing. Skyscraper. Nothing nothing. Old St B city hall. Etc

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
That's be a dense option for sure but idk if it would be appropriate to the locale. You could probably get away with a nice court of 6-7 story buildings with awesome street interaction and some interior courts/gardens/etc and it wouldn't be so jarring to the neighbourhood. Nothing nothing nothing. Skyscraper. Nothing nothing. Old St B city hall. Etc
The site is owned by a large Winnipeg-based land-owner/developer that recently gave over control to the Winnipeg Foundation. I'm sure you can all figure that one out. Yes there was a plan but that developer's appetite for building new is essentially gone, now that they don't control that aspect directly. They will sit on the property until they get the number they want and sell it, I'm 99.999% confident. Don't hold your breath.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:58 PM

Damn it..

Here's a link to the Landmark Planning page. It's hidden on their website, but come up in a Google search.

https://www.landmarkplanning.ca/738-...-redevelopment

Direct link to the latest presentation:
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...on-round-2.pdf

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 2:24 PM

Hi everyone! I've been following SSP for a long time but never posted before.

The old repair shop at 757 st joseph was demolished a week ago and the trees behind there cleared away. Combined with the empty triangle lot behind there it would make an ideal redevelopment site. Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of plans for that location?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
Hi everyone! I've been following SSP for a long time but never posted before.

The old repair shop at 757 st joseph was demolished a week ago and the trees behind there cleared away. Combined with the empty triangle lot behind there it would make an ideal redevelopment site. Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of plans for that location?
As far as I know, nothing has officially been announced yet. But rumor has it that a new condo building is going in. Check out "wags_in_the_peg" post from March 27 for more info.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Maybe it's because I grew up in and have always lived in older neighbourhoods, but it's so jarring to me to see these residential areas with sidewalks only on one side of the street. It feels very... rural?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:23 PM

^I just checked it out again. It does feel rural. Though that won't last long if the condos are going up around the corner on St. Joseph Street where the garage was.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:49 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a plan for a building on St Joseph from Dumolin to Provencher.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
As far as I know, nothing has officially been announced yet. But rumor has it that a new condo building is going in. Check out "wags_in_the_peg" post from March 27 for more info.
Ah, missed that. Thanks! I agree with some others that more street interaction in that area would be nice but a copy of Vue Tache would sure beat what’s there now.

Last edited by KnickKnack; Apr 22, 2024 at 4:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:24 AM

One of those tiny houses on Tache is up for sale. Judging by the price, this is being aimed at developers: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eg-st-boniface

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
One of those tiny houses on Tache is up for sale. Judging by the price, this is being aimed at developers: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eg-st-boniface
ridiculous price for a 33x116 lot. new build can't get to close to train tracks. would need to buy out the 3-4 houses behind it assuming they can get them over time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:26 PM

The lot fronts Tache, so I assume someone will buy it. $500k isn't really that expensive these days, especially for a lot fronting the river/park.

They can build that close to the railway, as long as the City approves whatever mitigation they may want to install. The railway guidelines are up to the municipality to enforce is they so desire. Railside technically is in non-compliance if you blindly follow the guidelines.

There's also this property for $875k just down the street. A little more to it.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eg-st-boniface

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is a plan for a building on St Joseph from Dumolin to Provencher.
Oh interesting. Can you share any detail? If that were to go ahead, along with the building at 155-165 Provencher it would really beef up the block

Last edited by KnickKnack; Apr 23, 2024 at 6:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:41 PM
What could go wrong?

8 storeys, 142 units
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan