HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I don't think the Salvation Army is moving when Vanier opens. There may be a real estate play at some point where they sell and move to cheaper digs, but the plan is for them to continue in the Market as far as I know.

The Courtyard plus parking lot is a huge opportunity. The opening of the other Marriot brands may just lead to a re-branding, rather than a redevelopment, but at some point it's got to be too attractive a site to leave as is.
For sure, Salvation Army will maintain a presence in the Market, but I could see them downsize significantly. They could sell part of their holdings and reorganize their services into one new building with a smaller footprint and housing on top.

I'm most excited about seeing the Courtyard Marriott redeveloped since it's within the ByWard Market core area.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I don't think the Salvation Army is moving when Vanier opens. There may be a real estate play at some point where they sell and move to cheaper digs, but the plan is for them to continue in the Market as far as I know.

The Courtyard plus parking lot is a huge opportunity. The opening of the other Marriot brands may just lead to a re-branding, rather than a redevelopment, but at some point it's got to be too attractive a site to leave as is.
I don't think Salvation Army will ever move. It's sort of a grandfather variance as they wouldn't get approved anywhere else for the same footprint and location.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 8:07 PM

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 10:16 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottman View Post
This is gonna be one spicy meatball "chefs kiss".

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:26 PM

Taken April 2nd, 2024

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:30 PM

So about 10 floors left. I'm surprised the additional floors on top of Major weren't built out of steel.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:19 PM

Can't post the pic because Skyrise is down for me, but someone posted a pic of the cladding going up on the Moxy. Looks absolutely terrible. Same sort of junk that went up on the AC. Gives me the same vibe as brick in the Nintendo Entertainment System games.

Terrified to see what they'll do with the Renaissance, the future tallest in the CBD area.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Can't post the pic because Skyrise is down for me, but someone posted a pic of the cladding going up on the Moxy. Looks absolutely terrible. Same sort of junk that went up on the AC. Gives me the same vibe as brick in the Nintendo Entertainment System games.

Terrified to see what they'll do with the Renaissance, the future tallest in the CBD area.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...4/post-2076831

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:33 PM

Its very thin looking but once its finish we probably wont be able to tell. I've seen worse I think it will look fine in the end.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Its very thin looking but once its finish we probably wont be able to tell. I've seen worse I think it will look fine in the end.
Reminds me a lot of this one in Vanier.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...hlight=gardner

Thought it looked good in Vanier for what it was, but this project demands much nicer finishes. And it's going to look really bad with the heritage façade on York. Not even close to a match.

Rimap has done good work in Montreal. Why do they have to cheap out to this level in Ottawa?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:15 PM

Its the plethora of invariably un-matching ventilation penetrations that does it for me.

Can't we figure out how to use back-flow valves and combine some of these million vents? Or have constant venting to the roof or something?

Quote:

Thought it looked good in Vanier for what it was, but this project demands much nicer finishes. And it's going to look really bad with the heritage façade on York. Not even close to a match.

Rimap has done good work in Montreal. Why do they have to cheap out to this level in Ottawa?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:25 PM

Is this not mixed use rentals anymore and will now be a Moxy?
Seems like a good choice. Not sure how many $3500 2 bedroom apartments Ottawa needs?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:26 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:

The Beckett on Bronson turned out decent but yes, not as nice as the Montreal projects due to the fact that the City of Montreal makes developers improve their exterior cladding through the review process. That is lacking here in Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:27 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Is this not mixed use rentals anymore and will now be a Moxy?
Seems like a good choice. Not sure how many $3500 2 bedroom apartments Ottawa needs?
It is a mixed use building still. Moxy Marriott, and Majors Apartments.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:29 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Its the plethora of invariably un-matching ventilation penetrations that does it for me.

Can't we figure out how to use back-flow valves and combine some of these million vents? Or have constant venting to the roof or something?
Different room layouts mean different venting. Constant venting to the roof is a major cost increase as it changes the whole HVAC system including adding hundreds of fire dampers which are costly.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:41 AM

Not the nicest, but I think the project will look fine by the end. They def could have done better tho.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Approved (Sept 7, 2022)

This shows all materials used on different portions of the building.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
The Beckett on Bronson turned out decent but yes, not as nice as the Montreal projects due to the fact that the City of Montreal makes developers improve their exterior cladding through the review process. That is lacking here in Ottawa.
Didn't realize the Beckett was pre-cast. It does look quite good.

Disappointing they are willing to cheap out as long as the City doesn't care. It shows a lack of pride in their work.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:47 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Didn't realize the Beckett was pre-cast. It does look quite good.

Disappointing they are willing to cheap out as long as the City doesn't care. It shows a lack of pride in their work.
The Beckett is not precast. I meant the overall building turned out good as a Rimap involved project.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
The Beckett is not precast. I meant the overall building turned out good as a Rimap involved project.
Ohhh. Yeah, I thought that was brick. Looks way to good to be pre-cast.

Rimap was involved with that one? I remember Lamb selling the project, but didn't know Rimap took over. The project was simplified greatly, but still a solid design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa