HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 3:11 PM

I'm astonished someone would actually propose something like that still. What complete garbage design.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 4:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
You were spot on with the Blackstone – they referenced it in their presentation. I'd guess we're getting a Blackstone derivative with the build quality of The Columbian.

And they referenced the courtyard from the Elysian for that empty lot area: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...star-architect

Holy fuck.

Was there any criticism of this from the audience?

The developer is American Landmark Properties, so it is someone who I think has no experience actually building anything new, big and urban, as far as I know. They are part of the investment group that just sold Willis Tower to Blackstone. So we can always hope lack of experience dooms this one.

I thought the "we stand out by blending in" comment was a joke - no, that's actually what someone on the team stated at the meeting.

It seems that Lagrange is trolling the North Shore looking to somehow end his 'design' career with some measure of dignity by trying to dig up some potential amateur developer clients with the perfect combination of too much money and too little taste....

Finally - is there some sort of support group out there for people that are traumatized by this proposal, this unexpected and disturbing return of Lagrange to downtown Chicago this cycle? There's gotta be something like that....

I wasn't able to attend the meeting, but even if I was free, I don't think I could have stomached actually showing up.......this is one gruesome proposal....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:05 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
You were spot on with the Blackstone – they referenced it in their presentation. I'd guess we're getting a Blackstone derivative with the build quality of The Columbian.

And they referenced the courtyard from the Elysian for that empty lot area: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...star-architect
Funny. Blackstone and Merle Reskin are six blocks away, so I don't get their whole "blending in" comment. The immediate surroundings are modern glass towers, a few older midrises, and bland brick lowrises.

The scary part is we/they are using Elysian, Park Tower, 2250 Lincoln Park, 65 E Geothe, Touraine in NYC (someone mentioned Toll Brothers), etc. as a reference. That's about as good as LL can do with a high-end luxury product. 1408 is an apartment tower (something he's never designed before to my knowledge) full of studios/1 bd in the South Loop. Frightening.

---
In other news, it looks like the lot at 1122 S Wabash is for sale. Likely to be developed into a highrise I'm assuming.

Last edited by spyguy; Apr 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:28 PM

On the upside the 1408 s Wabash proposal is actually better than I expected from Lagrange. Let's be realistic for a second. We are talking about a pretty terrible location. It's a relatively small lot with two separate sets of L tracks directly adjacent to it. Views are mostly blocked to the east and west and there's not much there in terms of street life. The lot was never destined for greatness. I'm just happy to see some added density.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:03 PM

750 N LaSalle (HoJo)

4/5

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:25 PM

Alderwoman Dowell has uploaded the PowerPoint slides that were used at last night’s presentation. Link is here: http://bit.ly/1RJf1SJ.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I'm astonished someone would actually propose something like that still. What complete garbage design.
i dont get it. why does this keep happening.

its all the more frustrating knowing that LL is capable of good modern design, and yet his interests seem to primarily lie with rehashing the most derivative, poorly executed shlock. and that theres a seemingly unending litany of devotees ready to throw money at him for precisely that.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:51 PM

Ed's and Ginos

4/5

Next and Niche in the background.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dont get it. why does this keep happening.

its all the more frustrating knowing that LL is capable of good modern design, and yet his interests seem to primarily lie with rehashing the most derivative, poorly executed shlock. and that theres a seemingly unending litany of devotees ready to throw money at him for precisely that.
Like rlw, I think this looks pretty restrained and well proportioned for what it is, Especially by Lagrange. It doesn't have any weird balconies, the facades are all ordered and balanced, and the mansard roof looks proportional to the building. There's a pretty good chance of the materials and details sucking, but sometimes Lagrange does okay there too (like the base of 2550 Lincoln Park).

As for why this keeps happening, it's because a decent segment of the population loves this stuff and absolutely hates anything made of glass, steel, and bare concrete. On the small scale look at all of the new houses going up in Lincoln Park right now. They are almost all PoMo reductions of French and English manor houses. That look says money and class to many people, and these clients probably aren't ever going away.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Yet you guys are all in love with that "One Bennett Park" garbage?

I don't get you guys.

I swear, if something is tall, everyone here celebrates it, regardless of its design.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
There are people who don't like One Bennett Park - I think it is very mediocre at best (though the top might turn out to be OK, but I doubt it). Pretty sure I'm not the only one on here who doesn't think it's that good. Also, the Stern building is still better than this bullshit. If you can't admit that, then you are blind. Both are not that great, but this is by far worse.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:23 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:

I don't get you guys.

I swear, if something is tall, everyone here celebrates it, regardless of its design.
One Bennett Park looks significantly better than this proposal in my opinion. One Bennett Park is a breath of fresh air from all the glass boxes being built. We would all like to see it be a little better, but it is certainly not the horrible thing you constantly advocate it as.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:31 PM
THAT Guy

1411 S Michigan - clearer

Photoshop fail?

Don't understand why they included this night rendering. Not like there's dramatic lighting or anything

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
1411 S Michigan - clearer
Do they plan to have a European pharmacy as the retail tenant?

I don't like the grayscale wall on the south end, but I suppose that will be mostly covered in time. I don't mind this at all – like a dumbed down Contemporaine.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:

I don't get you guys.

I'm not 100% on par with 1BP, but you can't possibly compare that to this.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Do they plan to have a European pharmacy as the retail tenant?

I don't like the grayscale wall on the south end, but I suppose that will be mostly covered in time. I don't mind this at all – like a dumbed down Contemporaine.
A building with no expressed parking podium? In Chicago? It can't be! I don't care for the grayscale wall either but it's certainly better than a blank concrete wall.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:15 AM

Today
No.9

Hojo, Beige, and Gino's crane

Gino's/Debevics

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I'm not 100% on par with 1BP, but you can't possibly compare that to this.
Sure I can. Shit is shit. And if you ask me, short shit is far less offensive than 800 foot tall shit.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Sure I can. Shit is shit. And if you ask me, short shit is far less offensive than 800 foot tall shit.
Yeah but 1BP is made to mimic 1920s art deco style, even though it dosnt do that the best, but the color, at least from the render, is not horrible and kind of mimics 333N Michigan. (well tries to, cant say its perfect)

The short Lagrange building, is orange?? and in a faux french style? tell me where in France is there an orange building in their traditional style of architecture, nowhere because the french arent idiots...

I agree shit is shit.. but for what it is 1BP is not bad, and a lot less offensive than an orange brick, faux classical french style, sad little stub of a tower... comon now

IMO id rather see post modernism fall away. why try to mimic architecture that was already used and overused instead of pioneering new styles and trends, especially in Chicago which needs some new refreshing architecture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations