HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:26 PM

Shediac seems to be adding to its retail scene every year, with new land becoming available and population going up, what will be next?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I still think there is a better use of that land than a campground. I no longer live in Shediac but still dream of it being a year round destination. A campground only provides up to 4-5 months of seasonal employment and revenue for the town, the property taxes aren't as high as if there were some sort of commercial development. I know I'm in the minority but I believe there is so much potential in Shediac and putting a campground inside the town limits seems like a waste to me (especially when I'm at the Parlee Beach Campground and it is virtually empty right now)
Despite being in favour of the campground, I agree with you. There are far better uses for that property, but none has stepped up so if they want to put a campground on it then I don't object.
I would feel differently if it was right behind my house, probably.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
New Kent store opens on Saturday.
Is there any word on what is being done with the old Kent store?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 11:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

130 new families create population boom in Cap-Pelé
'It was fantastic, it was a dream come true,' Jerome Barion says on reuniting with wife and 4 children
Tori Weldon · CBC News · Posted: Jul 10, 2019 6:30 AM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...mily-1.5205393

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:36 PM

Cap Pelé is on his way towards a pop of 3000! Good for them, hopefully they will remain in the area.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:31 PM

Looks like the restaurant in Parlee Beach has closed until further notice
https://tj.news/story/100990410

The story says the reason for the closure is a "disagreement on contractual obligations" between the restaurant operator and the province.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:24 PM

SOLAR FARM, SHEDIAC

CCD Ref. Number : NB157329-19-07

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : July 11, 2019

Starting Date (estimated) : October 7, 2019

Size : Mid-sized ($18,380,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Public

SIC Code : 4931-Electricity and other combined services

Category : 1-Industrial

Subcategories : 1P-Power Production

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, ENV, EQUI, HVAC, INST, MEC-B, MEC-I, STRUC, OTHER*

SHEDIAC (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto)

Description :
NEW SOLAR FARM -
Located in Shediac, this project estimated at $18 380 000 is in the preliminary drawings stage, pending site selection and approvals. It is slated to begin on October 7, 2019. Works concern construction of a new solar farm for 500 homes to receive new technologies. The planner must weigh the costs and reliability of different options while at the same time insuring technical feasibility.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:35 PM

Do you know who to contact about this project?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:16 PM

NB Power is recruiting homeowners for it.

12 June 2019

SHEDIAC (GNB) – Shediac will be the home of the province’s first Smart Energy Community Project. NB Power received $5.7 million from Natural Resources Canada to create a new green energy initiative for the town. The project will serve as a testing ground for new technologies that are being developed by NB Power and Siemens Canada.

A sister project in Amherst, led by Nova Scotia Power, is getting $5.1 million from Natural Resources Canada’s $100 million Smart Grid Program.

“Our goal is to meet the future needs of our customers in a safe, reliable and cost-effective way by gradually eliminating the remaining 20 to 25 per cent of our power generation that is carbon producing while ensuring we protect our customers from the significant rate increases that have resulted from this transition elsewhere,” said NB Power president and CEO Gaëtan Thomas. “The only way to have a fully renewable future is with the integration of smart grid technologies that ease the acceptance of small-scale renewables onto the grid, and this pilot project will allow for testing the integration of small-scale solar power and battery storage along with other smart technologies into customers’ homes.”

This funding will help all partners fulfil the vision for the Smart Grid Atlantic projects. The goal is to develop and demonstrate smart grid technologies that will speed the adoption of new renewable energy and storage technologies while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The work will enable the provincial power utilities to shorten outages, better integrate customer-owned renewable energy assets onto the power grid, improve resiliency and self-sufficiency for individual communities, lower greenhouse gas emissions and protect customers from potential rate increases related to the adoption of these new technologies.

“These smart investments in electricity infrastructure build a stronger and more resilient grid and help build better connections between communities,” said Fundy Royal MP Alaina Lockhart. “Incorporating renewables, smart meters and battery storage into Canadians’ homes and businesses will help power real change in terms of emissions reduction and increase awareness of energy consumption.”

Lockhart attended for federal Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi.

The utilities will also work with customers to manage energy consumption and test new electricity pricing options. Each utility will focus on slightly different aspects of testing, so that results can be shared across the two provinces. Nova Scotia Power’s participation is contingent on approval from the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.

In Shediac, 500 homes will be selected to test technologies such as smart thermostats, solar rooftop generation, smart water heaters and in-home battery storage. The utility will also focus on potential cybersecurity issues posed by these connected devices and test varying rate schemes. In Amherst, the focus will be on commercial applications. Solar panels with battery storage on a number of commercial buildings will help manage customer demand and reliability needs, and smart electric vehicle charging will be tested for optimal charging in the community. The construction of a solar farm in each community will add green power to the grid while giving both utilities valuable grid experience in managing solar generation of this size.

“Our customers count on us for reliable, affordable and clean energy,” said Nova Scotia Power president and CEO Karen Hutt. “As we continue to lead Canada in reducing carbon emissions, we need innovative solutions to add new energy sources to our grid. Contingent on approval by our regulator, investing in the Amherst smart grid project will help us learn how to best incorporate new technologies to serve our customers, while showcasing Amherst as a progressive, smart-energy community.”

NB Power will begin recruiting homeowners in Shediac next week to become part of the project. Nearly 1,000 will be needed for Phase 1. The utility will host an open house in Shediac on June 18 to provide details to residents who may be interested in participating.

This interprovincial partnership supports a commitment by the Atlantic premiers and the federal government to develop a Clean Power Roadmap for Atlantic Canada.

The projects are part of the $92.7 million Smart Grid Atlantic Initiative formed by NB Power with Siemens Canada and Nova Scotia Power. This initiative received $35.7 million from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada at an announcement on Jan. 29 in Fredericton.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:58 PM

Driving by Shediac last night going towards Cape Pele and I noticed some clearing being done right in the area where the proposed off ramp for highway 15 would be. This is the one that would allow people coming from Moncton to get off the highway at Riverside dr. to get into Shediac. I hadn't heard any rumors that they would be starting this already, but I wonder if it is similar to what the did with the on/off ramp on Chesley where the town is building all the infrastructure up to the highway but not actually building the ramps and then the province will put in the ramps once that is complete.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:02 PM

They are planning on rezoning the piece of land at the trailer park next to the new Kent on Ohio Rd. to General Commercial for a new service station. Here is a link to the map

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It always amazes me that they keep building new service stations when in all likelihood, most vehicles will be electric in 15-20 years.......

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:01 PM

The Parlee Beach restaurant has been taken over by Euston park social

Link to their FB post announcing it:https://www.facebook.com/eustonparks...85176404927520

Nice to see a local entrepreneur stepping up to take this over. Was at parlee last night and even though it was later in the evening there was people at the takout window and in the restaurant

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Nice to see a local entrepreneur stepping up to take this over.
Hear, Hear.

It's refreshing to see a good management decision made at the park...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thread bump:

Promotional video for the town of Shediac:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:44 PM

Radio-Canada is reporting that the greater Moncton Sikh community will be building a large temple in Shediac next year at the cost of $4-5 million!

The temple will serve both the NB and PEI Sikh communities.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 12:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. I wonder if they will choose a traditional style or something more contemporary. I also wonder if the location chosen will be visible and high profile. If this temple is to serve the Sikh community of two provinces, I imagine the plan will be to have it easily accessible.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Interesting. I wonder if they will choose a traditional style or something more contemporary. I also wonder if the location chosen will be visible and high profile. If this temple is to serve the Sikh community of two provinces, I imagine the plan will be to have it easily accessible.
Traditional and quite large. The RC article has a blurry picture of the design. It will be located at 2386 Shediac River road just off route 11 so should be quite visible from the highway.

Here's the link https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...darbar-shediac

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks!

For those who don't like to click links, here's the image from the Radio-Canada article:

I like the title of the article, especially the part about the placard "piquing the interest" of the residents of Shediac - I'll bet!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:49 PM

That'll be pretty impressive if it looks like that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces