HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 9:45 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
Interesting observations from my Christmas travels.
We arrived at ABIA around 6:45pm on Thursday the 23-Dec and had no line at TSA Precheck
On 26-Dec, we flew the he new(ish) AA non-stop from Tulsa to Austin and the flight was completely full and AA was asking for volunteers to take another flight.
The flight out of Tulsa was actually Tulsa-Austin-Reno, so Austin was a layover for some people. Also, I overheard a couple of people on the plane talking about transferring in Austin to a flight bound for Los Angles.
Totally unrelated, but I heard (from someone at the meeting) that Warner Brother's Country Music is looking to move some of its recording from Nashville, TN to Tulsa due to Nashville becoming to expensive.
If Tulsa could land one big business development I think it could be the next city on the rise. It’s still cheap and is ripe for a new boom. Downtown next to water, somewhat hilly and lots of trees and greenery.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 11:32 PM

I lived in Tulsa for several years -- from 2007, say, to about 2012 -- and it was a hick little backwater at the time. We'd just relocated from Chicago and the letdown was intense. Conservative old-skool oil money politics, focused on pandering to white flight and the suburbs -- and most of the social strata frozen in amber. It felt really like the city time forgot.

But I have to give it credit -- the last decade has completely upended the old order, and the folks who've inherited the place have really made good on confronting a lot of the old demons, and embracing the politics of the city center. I hated the place when I lived there but it's come a long long long way since then.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 6:33 PM

In the spirit of a new year, here is my overly ambitious to do list I would like to see the airport start or receive this year.

Start on the midfield terminal expansion, with more that 10 gates coming in the first phase.

Get through the legal battle with the South Terminal and have a demolition date in the works.

Delta doing focus city stuff, more flights, new destinations. (Asia??)

The return of Lufthansa and arrival of KLM.

West Terminal Infill and West side gate extension starting construction.

Gate 13 bus area completion and it actually helping congestion.

A flight introduced to Asia (preferably Tokyo) and a flight to South America.

Air Canada or WestJet beginning flights to Montreal and Vancouver.

The end of Covid impacting passenger numbers at KAUS.

Happy New Year to all!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 7:12 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

What happened to the plan to extend the terminal north where the original parking garage sits.

It was going to include a new 3 level roadway, with substantially longer drop off/pick up space.

I believe all the airline counters, security checkpoints, baggage claim, etc. was to be located in the new building.

Is this still moving forward? Is it happening during, or after the new concourse?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
What happened to the plan to extend the terminal north where the original parking garage sits.

It was going to include a new 3 level roadway, with substantially longer drop off/pick up space.

I believe all the airline counters, security checkpoints, baggage claim, etc. was to be located in the new building.

Is this still moving forward? Is it happening during, or after the new concourse?
Covid screwed everything up. Now the plan is to maximize space in the existing terminal and build a new center concourse to add gates. It's possible the new infrastructure deal will put the new terminal building back on the plate but it's still early.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:46 PM

Virgin Atlantic might be coming to Austin. According to a source VS231/VS232 are loaded to AUS Summer 2022. Don't know how reputable it is but fingers crossed. Just did some booking and couldn't find a start date yet, hopefully it's true as Virgin Atlantic would be a great addition.

Last edited by masonh2479; Jan 6, 2022 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:11 PM
Member since 2001

Virgin Atlantic is 49% owned by Delta. So, it would make since on that front. I believe Virgin Group tried to sell another 30% (or so) to Air France-KLM (SkyTeam members) a few years ago - but, that deal fell through.

Also, a few years back, Virgin Atlantic listed Austin as one of the cities they were looking to expand.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 4:13 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Sounds like Virgin Atlantic is done.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/virg...ustin-flights/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:01 PM

It seems that instead of connecting the smaller dots the next step for the DL focus city is expanding with the joint venture partners. I will be biting nails this summer hoping to see both AMS and LHR do well for DL/Skyteam.

I also enjoy seeing the network/revenue management experts at A.net getting proved wrong - again.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:39 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightChop View Post
It seems that instead of connecting the smaller dots the next step for the DL focus city is expanding with the joint venture partners. I will be biting nails this summer hoping to see both AMS and LHR do well for DL/Skyteam.

I also enjoy seeing the network/revenue management experts at A.net getting proved wrong - again.
Is it weird that I thoroughly enjoy them eating crow over and over again? I feel like they really like dunking on Austin.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Sounds like Virgin Atlantic is done.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/virg...ustin-flights/
Really nice to see it confirmed and on the 787. Competition is nice on our London route. I do think two airlines can easily survive on by far our busiest international route.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
Is it weird that I thoroughly enjoy them eating crow over and over again? I feel like they really like dunking on Austin.
It’s always nice to see a shit talker eat their words no matter the subject. Very nice to see Austin win!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 7:47 PM

Not sure if this has been posted but KLM changed their starting aircraft from an A330 to a 787.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:49 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted but KLM changed their starting aircraft from an A330 to a 787.
Good for them. Their A333's are old and they're going to have to compete with BA's flagship A350-1000 and Virgin's B789.

Any word on Lufthansa? I'm assuming Germany's extremely tight COVID regulations are hindering any sort of rebooting of Lufthansa's international route network.

Germany's overall seat capacity (as of this week) is about 38% down from January 2020 (Lufthansa alone is down 36%). As a reference, the UK is down about 28%, the US is down by about 9%, and Mexico is up by about 7% over January 2020.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Good for them. Their A333's are old and they're going to have to compete with BA's flagship A350-1000 and Virgin's B789.

Any word on Lufthansa? I'm assuming Germany's extremely tight COVID regulations are hindering any sort of rebooting of Lufthansa's international route network.

Germany's overall seat capacity (as of this week) is about 38% down from January 2020 (Lufthansa alone is down 36%). As a reference, the UK is down about 28%, the US is down by about 9%, and Mexico is up by about 7% over January 2020.
I had a trip to Munich and Berlin last December and it really depends on the city how tight Covid rules are. Munich required the N95 and I needed to get tested daily plus be vaccinated + booster. Berlin was a regular mask and vaccination. I think Frankfurt is closer to Berlin’s rules. I don’t know if it has changed but getting in and out of Germany was painless.

I had a layover in Amsterdam and found them to be way more restricted than Germany, of course that could’ve changed since December. I am quite happy the 787 is showing up too, the 330 was old as you said.

I am not sure when Lufthansa is coming, I can do some dummy bookings and update the post if I find anything.

Edit: Lufthansa returns March 2, A333.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 9:09 PM
Resident Moron

I have business partners in Nuremberg and it is 100% Covid is over party. I know their convention center is being pretty strict but the photos I'm seeing from their Facebook feed do not look like the way Germany is described to the outside world.

Which, checks out for Bavaria

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I have business partners in Nuremberg and Bavaria is 100% Covid is over party.

Don't blame them, I arrived right as the Christmas Markets in Munich got cancelled. At least they were open in Berlin, was able to try the much talked about Glühwein there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 PM
Resident Moron

Im always in Nuremberg in January - which is a real shame because it looks like it is designed for Christmas. One year maybe the fam and I could head there early and spend Xmas there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 9:26 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I had a trip to Munich and Berlin last December and it really depends on the city how tight Covid rules are. Munich required the N95 and I needed to get tested daily plus be vaccinated + booster. Berlin was a regular mask and vaccination. I think Frankfurt is closer to Berlin’s rules. I don’t know if it has changed but getting in and out of Germany was painless.
Interesting. Thank you. That's good to know.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I have business partners in Nuremberg and it is 100% Covid is over party. I know their convention center is being pretty strict but the photos I'm seeing from their Facebook feed do not look like the way Germany is described to the outside world.

Bavaria is the Texas of Germany.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin