HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who has the most of them all?
Vaughan 15 23.08%
Mississauga 9 13.85%
Okotoks 3 4.62%
Milton 4 6.15%
Edmonton 9 13.85%
Calgary 7 10.77%
London 10 15.38%
Oakville 0 0%
Toronto 3 4.62%
Airdrie 3 4.62%
Laval 2 3.08%
Brossard 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I don't get the hate for Costco. It's a huge benefit if you are on a budget.

With Amazon you pay twice as much for items you can get at Costco and Amazon delivery is the most environmentally wasteful way to shop. Amazon also treats its employees terribly. Costco is far better in this respect.

I agree with you about the gas lineup though.
I think it's trendy to hate on Costco since it represents big, corporate North America (which the people of SSP love to shit on).

Not every item is a huge value "steal", but there are a lot of things which are significantly cheaper than other grocery stores, even when you take into account the membership fee which really isn't a lot. Costco also treats its employees very, very well.

The major benefit for Costco in Newfoundland is the fresh produce. Produce sold in regular grocery stores has very limited shelf time, sometimes just 4-5 days since it's been sitting in a warehouse or the back of a truck for unknown lengths of time. Costco produce is super fresh and can last weeks. In a place where good, fresh produce is hard to find, it's very much welcomed.

I don't really care about the gas. There are a lot of pumps at our Costco, so there really isn't a line like at their old location, but I'm not driving 20 km just to save a few cents on gas, especially considering we drive a small car with a small tank and good MPG. If we drove a big fuckoff truck with a huge tank then maybe it'd be worth it. What is worth it though is the propane. 7 dollars to fill up your average sized BBQ tank, versus about 25 elsewhere for fills, OR 40+ for a tank swap.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:02 PM

I think to get maximum benefit of Costco you need ample freezer/fridge space at home.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Even the membership is a steal. The reason is to keep out the casual shopper that pops in for 1-2 items (Costco wants you to buy by the [prickup*]truck load). I have executive membership. Costs me $138/yearly, but I get a voucher worth 2% of my annual purchases, which more than covers the membership costs.

*not a typo. I am amazed, almost every day, just how many assholes are out there on the road with their prickup trucks. I am not talking about people who need the trucks for making a living (I once had one myself back when I worked in a different occupation) or that have a need to haul a lot of things about; rather I am talking about the deporable assholes that act and drive like total fucking jerks, all the time. Yesterday, some asswipe in a prickup truck was rolling coal in the parking lot of the nearby SmartCentre. I shit ye not.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Even the membership is a steal. The reason is to keep out the casual shopper that pops in for 1-2 items (Costco wants you to buy by the [prickup]truck load). I have executive membership. Costs me $138/yearly, but I get a voucher worth 2% of my annual purchases, which more than covers the membership costs.
Yes, Costco is great! 10000000X better than WalMart.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The main reason why I like Costco is that they have items available for sale that you can't find anywhere else. This has made me a loyal customer.

And yes, I have a pantry and a big ass upright freezer..........

I do about 50% of my grocery shopping at Costco, and the rest at Sobeys. I could buy a larger percentage of my food supply at Costco if I wanted to, but Sobeys is a Maritime company, and I like to support local retailers.

As for Walmart, I may go to a Walmart 4-5 times per year, but I always feel somehow "dirty" and ashamed of myself after going to the store. I probably never spend any more than $100/yr shopping at Walmart.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Yes, Costco is great! 10000000X better than WalMart.
second that. plus there proportionately less horribly wretched-looking Duck Dynasty people in Costco. Whereas Walfart has them in spades...

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
second that. plus there proportionately less horribly wretched-looking Duck Dynasty people in Costco. Whereas Walfart has them in spades...
Like this?

And this?

And this?

Hey look, the Duck Dynasty Mobile!

Find more MalWart folks here!
https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Everytime I pop into Walmart, I shake my head in wonder, and ask myself if I somehow teleported to Branson, Missouri, or Asscrack Falls, Kentucky.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Everytime I pop into Walmart, I shake my head in wonder, and ask myself if I somehow teleported to Branson, Missouri, or Asscrack Falls, Kentucky.
The worst are the McDonald's. And the wretched bathrooms.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Indeed. The nearby Dumbcentre Walfart has the most soul-sucking McDonald's that I ever saw anywhere. No windows. White walls and stark overhead florescent lights. A couple of large photos of fries and a gussied-up big mac (not even remotely like the overpriced sad sandwich that you get with a greasy thumbprint on the bun). Overflowing garbage bins. Grotesquely overweight Duck Dynasty customers with bratty kids (perhaps sporting a faux-hawk) running amuck. The sound....of grill/food timers going off for hours. Disheveled copies of the London Free Press (aka, conservaturd bird cage liner). Luke Bryan singing about a "big black jacked up truck" on the PA speakers.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Indeed. The nearby Dumbcentre Walfart has the most soul-sucking McDonald's that I ever saw anywhere. No windows. White walls and stark overhead florescent lights. A couple of large photos of fries and a gussied-up big mac (not even remotely like the overpriced sad sandwich that you get with a greasy thumbprint on the bun). Overflowing garbage bins. Grotesquely overweight Duck Dynasty customers with bratty kids (perhaps sporting a faux-hawk) running amuck. The sound....of grill/food timers going off for hours. Disheveled copies of the London Free Press (aka, conservaturd bird cage liner).

Yes! At least McDo's makes good coffee which puts it above Burger King (the worst fast food chain on earth).

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Yes! At least McDo's makes good coffee which puts it above Burger King (the worst fast food chain on earth).
true.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
true.
And Tim Horton's. Home of the worst grilled cheese sandwich and coffee on Earth!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
And Tim Horton's. Home of the worst grilled cheese sandwich and coffee on Earth!
true again. How hard is it to fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? One of the easiest things to make (cheese+bread+butter, pan-fried), and yet Rim Whoreton's manages to make it taste absolutely terrible.

Tim's cough-ee vaguely tastes like the water that filters out of your eaves-troughs when they are filled with dead leaves, bird scat and whatnot.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
true again. How hard is it to fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? One of the easiest things to make (cheese+bread+butter, pan-fried), and yet Rim Whoreton's manages to make it taste absolutely terrible.

Tim's cough-ee vaguely tastes like the water that filters out of your eaves-troughs when they are filled with dead leaves, bird scat and whatnot.
Tim's is awful. However I hold all shit fast food chains in higher regard than Taco Bell. Some of the worst food on Earth! Who eats here?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
The London Walmart stores are tame. I went to one in Ohio last year and it was straight out of the Raising the Bar episode of South Park. I was expecting to see Cartman show up on a Rascal. Didn’t see any candy corn Oreos, but plenty of Coors Light.

The one exception in London was the time I saw someone dressed up as the Hamburglar in the checkout line at the White Oaks store. It was not near Halloween.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:57 PM

Taco Bell, KFC, and Burger King all sit at that so-ridiculously-bad-I-don’t-get-how-they-are-still-open level.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Taco Bell, KFC, and Burger King all sit at that so-ridiculously-bad-I-don’t-get-how-they-are-still-open level.
. KFC is a pure grease bucket, cardboard soaked in grease. Awful place!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:

Wow..what a description and so true. I've probably had a coffee a year there over the last 10 and it is the only place I need to add sugar...to kill the taste.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Tim's is awful. However I hold all shit fast food chains in higher regard than Taco Bell. Some of the worst food on Earth! Who eats here?

those pictures should come with a disclaimer..'may not be exactly as illustrated'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada