HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:31 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Minor Hydro in Sask - used for peak not base power loads as far as I know. I always thought the biggest natural resource in Manitoba was the federal government? Equalization and a disproportionate share of federal jobs (thanks Lloyd).
The Feds give and take.

You know taking Air Canada, and a lot of aerospace jobs out of Winnipeg for political gain elsewhere (Quebec). Shuttering the CWB and selling it off to a foreign majority owner. Gutting the CMHC offices and sending the vast majority of First Nation housing related jobs out to Calgary (of all places).

I would be interested in seeing some stats on the amount of federal jobs as a comparison between the MB and SK, or even AB for that matter.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Interesting thread.

I recently read somewhere political analysts arguing that Manitoba is more like Ontario than the rest of the Prairies (politically and economically).
Indeed. Political scientist Nelson Wiseman in his book (highly recommended and not at all jargon laden and hard to read) on Canadian political culture calls Manitoba the "Ontario of the Prairies."

Manitoba was settled quite a bit earlier, and Ontario Anglo Saxons dominated the southwest. In fact until Ed Schreyer every Manitoba premier was either born in Ontario or had Ontario-born parents.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:44 PM

I agree that Manitoba is more like Ontario than any other province.

I also agree that Saskatchewan is more like Alberta.

Manitoba is kind of like a gateway for the east to the west and vice versa. To me, Winnipeg was an eastern city that happened in the west. At one point Winnipeg was being described as the "Chicago" of the north and there was an enormous amount of growth potential at one point.

Really hard for me to explain but basically I think that Manitoba is a combination of Prairie and Eastern (read: Ontarian) ideals. Whereas Saskatchewan and Alberta are 100% Prairie culture.

To me, outside of Manitoba, western Canada kind of just does its own thing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:47 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Saskatchewan felt more like Manitoba than Alberta to me, but my exposure was fairly limited. (Also Alberta felt more like Ontario than Manitoba did, but again limited exposure.)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting thread.
Winnipeg (and to some extent the Interlake, Red River Valley and Pembina triangle) area are more dependent on manufacturing than other parts of the prairies. Trade unionism is strong in Winnipeg (like ONT) but not in other parts of southern MB or SK.
While I can see that trade unionism might be strong in Winnipeg, I can't see how this is similar to Ontario. One would think that most trade unionism in Winnipeg is related to government and institutional jobs, similar to someplace like Regina, whereas Ontario is heavily focused on blue-collar manufacturing in places like the auto sector around the GTA and steel industries around Hamilton. This is not the type of manufacturing one thinks of when talking about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Interesting thread.
The politics in Winnipeg tends to lean toward the centre (or centre left). In recent years, Winnipeg is like a microcosm for the national (read ONT) political scene (most WPG ridings went LIB this election).
Again, I'm not sure what this is meant to imply. Winnipeg is centre-left, just like most cities tend to be. In fact, ignoring Saskatchewan's rural ridings (or rural/urban split ridings), then one sees that Regina's two urban ridings went Liberal/NDP, which is a similar voting pattern to that in Winnipeg. I'm guessing this result is indicative of the labour pool in both Regina and Winnipeg, which I would assume skews more heavily towards government and institutional jobs. Likewise, Manitoba's rural ridings and split urban/rural ridings tend to vote PC, much like the rest of the prairies (and Ontario, for that matter).

For what it's worth, I agree with the previous posters who correctly identify that it's the rural/urban split that is more of a defining characteristic across the prairies than is any supposed difference between the 3 individual provinces.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 12:20 AM

speaking on the aerospace industry my mom works for Magellan airspace and aunty for boeing everytime libs get elected jobs get cut here and move to quebec when i went to take your kid to work day 7 years ago they told us how they had over 3000 employees working at that time bristol aerospace and once the jobs got cut it all went to quebec. Currently magellan is at 550+.. saids something about the government

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Feds give and take.

You know taking Air Canada, and a lot of aerospace jobs out of Winnipeg for political gain elsewhere (Quebec). Shuttering the CWB and selling it off to a foreign majority owner. Gutting the CMHC offices and sending the vast majority of First Nation housing related jobs out to Calgary (of all places).

I would be interested in seeing some stats on the amount of federal jobs as a comparison between the MB and SK, or even AB for that matter.
Its been a few years since I looked at it but at the time (maybe 5 yrs ago?) on a per capita basis the feds would have had to move 10,000 federal jobs to Sask to make it equivalent on per capita basis. It was explained to me that man and sask are grouped together as the "prairie region" and there was an effort made at spreading federal jobs evenly but only at the "regional" level. Because of Lloyd Axworthy and others, those jobs ended up in Winnipeg. (I'm not knocking Lloyd....I think he was one of the best politicians this country had and Winnipeg was smart enough to keep electing people that would serve prominent roles in Cabinet)

On a per capita basis, Sask had the lowest or near lowest number of federal jobs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Feds give and take.

Yeah, I'd like to see those numbers too. Seems to me that the number of federal jobs in Winnipeg has declined steadily since at least the 80s. Winnipeg used to be the western Canadian hub for many federal departments, but that changed and many of those jobs were transferred to Edmonton, Calgary etc. And really, what federal jobs was Axworthy able to deliver? An Air Canada call centre? The tax centre?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
speaking on the aerospace industry my mom works for Magellan airspace and aunty for boeing everytime libs get elected jobs get cut here and move to quebec when i went to take your kid to work day 7 years ago they told us how they had over 3000 employees working at that time bristol aerospace and once the jobs got cut it all went to quebec. Currently magellan is at 550+.. saids something about the government
The infamous CF-18 deal (giving a 100 million contract to QC instead of Bristol) was under the Mulroney Conservatives, not the Libs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
The infamous CF-18 deal (giving a 100 million contract to QC instead of Bristol) was under the Mulroney Conservatives, not the Libs.
It is often referred to as $100 million but I am pretty sure it was $1.3 billion over 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
While I can see that trade unionism might be strong in Winnipeg, I can't see how this is similar to Ontario. One would think that most trade unionism in Winnipeg is related to government and institutional jobs, similar to someplace like Regina, whereas Ontario is heavily focused on blue-collar manufacturing in places like the auto sector around the GTA and steel industries around Hamilton. This is not the type of manufacturing one thinks of when talking about Winnipeg.
Not sure what your point is. Organized labour is stronger in MB and ON than it is in AB. The original question posed was: "Is SK more like AB or MB"? I'm simply highlighting some of the differences between AB and MB. The type of manufacturing or industry doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
Again, I'm not sure what this is meant to imply. Winnipeg is centre-left, just like most cities tend to be. In fact, ignoring Saskatchewan's rural ridings (or rural/urban split ridings), then one sees that Regina's two urban ridings went Liberal/NDP, which is a similar voting pattern to that in Winnipeg. I'm guessing this result is indicative of the labour pool in both Regina and Winnipeg, which I would assume skews more heavily towards government and institutional jobs. Likewise, Manitoba's rural ridings and split urban/rural ridings tend to vote PC, much like the rest of the prairies (and Ontario, for that matter).
Not sure why this is unclear to you. My point is, again, to contrast MB and AB and speculate about which way SK might lean. The cities of AB do not tend to vote centre left, as you state. SK may well be more like MB in this regard, as you suggest.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Indeed. Political scientist Nelson Wiseman in his book (highly recommended and not at all jargon laden and hard to read) on Canadian political culture calls Manitoba the "Ontario of the Prairies."

Manitoba was settled quite a bit earlier, and Ontario Anglo Saxons dominated the southwest. In fact until Ed Schreyer every Manitoba premier was either born in Ontario or had Ontario-born parents.

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/norquay_john_11E.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:25 AM

Correction: every premier in the 20th century until Schreyer.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your point is. Organized labour is stronger in MB and ON than it is in AB. The original question posed was: "Is SK more like AB or MB"? I'm simply highlighting some of the differences between AB and MB. The type of manufacturing or industry doesn't make a difference.

Not sure why this is unclear to you. My point is, again, to contrast MB and AB and speculate about which way SK might lean. The cities of AB do not tend to vote centre left, as you state. SK may well be more like MB in this regard, as you suggest.
Ontario has a huge, unionized public sector. The unionized auto and steel jobs are tiny by comparison. In fact I am pretty sure Saskatchewan now has more steel industry jobs per capita than Ontario. Maybe in the 70's there were a lot of unionized manufacturing jobs in Ontario, but no more.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:58 PM

Docere

"Is Saskatchewan more similar to Manitoba or Alberta overall?"

The only moderate post would be...Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't...Stuck in the middle with us...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:55 PM

Saskatchewan is a province with a Manitoba past and an Alberta future. We're currently in transition.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 6:53 PM
Ignore these four words.

Easy does it, steady as she goes or an up and down rollercoaster ride - which is preferred?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Easy does it, steady as she goes or an up and down rollercoaster ride - which is preferred?
Are you the sign maker for Selinger?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:32 PM

^ Dustin Byfuglien would buy into that slogan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Dustin Byfuglien would buy into that slogan
But he is getting paid in US funds right?

On another note (and not related to this thread) How long can the Jets (and the rest of the Canadian NHL teams) last with the low Canadian dollar? Wasn't that (and the lack of a modern arena) one of the reasons they left?

Not trolling but wondering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan