HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:50 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Josh - when I lived in Toronto, I don't remember ever seeing Lake Ontario! I lived in Downsview, it was a major expedition to get downtown by bus and subway so I never got out to the Islands or anywhere else on the Lakeshore for that matter.
Korzym - it is a dangerous hill but there are warning signs at the top. The sharp left turn at the base of the hill onto the bridge is stupid. If you can believe it, there is a new even steeper, longer, and more dangerous paved pathway in the west end of Fish Creek Park.
Freeweed - Indian Oils is west of Turner Valley before Sheep Falls. Icy cold water, forget about swimming unless you like hypothermia!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:12 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Ah hell, I've jumped into water like that, not there, but Ram Falls. I don't know where it is, but it was autumn and in the mountains, it's probably a 20 foot cliff I jumped off of, which I've done other times, just not into water that cold.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 7:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

That's odd, one of the few things I've done repeatedly when visiting Toronto is gone down to the beach west of downtown. They have all sorts of restaurants there, and beach volleyball going on all spring/summer/fall. Of course, there are more often than not signs warning you that the water is not safe for swimming...

Now that you guys mention it though, for a city of 5 million people it does seem a bit deserted there. Calgary likely sees more people around PIP during the day than I've ever seen at the beach in Toronto. Maybe something most locals just don't know/care about.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
I am the law!

I live in the Toronto's Beach neighbourhood and the water is safe for swimming at least three quarters of the time. The west end has seen major improvement as well since the stormwater holding tanks came online a few years ago. The water though is bitter cold compared to the abundant lakes up in cottage country. Harbourfront is a sea of people during the summer months from all the weekly festivals and the new urban beach a huge success.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
I live in the Toronto's Beach neighbourhood and the water is safe for swimming at least three quarters of the time. The west end has seen major improvement as well since the stormwater holding tanks came online a few years ago. The water though is bitter cold compared to the abundant lakes up in cottage country. Harbourfront is a sea of people during the summer months from all the weekly festivals and the new urban beach a huge success.
Yeah, the beach front is quite nice. The water is cold, but like many other places, most people like to just hang out on the beach.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 2:18 AM
Build'em high!

Beautiful pictures Living. A side of Calgary we don't see much on the forum

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:21 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
The water is cold, but like many other places, most people like to just hang out on the beach.
I somewhat disagree. Hangin' out on the beach is a lot less fun without the beer googles on.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 5:10 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

and as a result, the water is less cold.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 5:05 PM
Reach for the heavens

Nice pictures Usually we see pictures of Calgary's skyline, and we forget how close to nature Calgary is.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:53 AM

Wonderful nature pics!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 12:33 PM

Great nature pics! I like the colourful fields and the animal ones, you were lucky to catch that eagle so clearly.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos