HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 10:07 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
A buddy of mine said Air Canada added and pulled out of Austin three times before they finally were successful.
That buddy is incorrect. AC pulled out of AUS once prior to their current service. That flight is now mainline & doing quite well. Good enough that WestJet has announced plans to fly from AUS to Calgary starting in a few months.

WestJet is a Delta partner and is also adding flights to PDX. Both AUS & PDX are on Delta's short-term radar & it seems that the rumors may be slowly coming to fruition...AUS is going to be built into a DL Focus City & then into a small hub.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:27 AM

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
Really happy to see SAT hit 10 million. The jump from 2017 pax numbers is outstanding. On a sad note looks like we lost Air Canada service. Toronto route ends in October.
Maybe that is is an error. On the oag update it shows an extension of service from May thru OCT with both May and OCT going from near daily to daily. That is if I am reading it right. Also on Air Canada website non-stop service is bookable until April 28th.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Maybe that is is an error. On the oag update it shows an extension of service from May thru OCT with both May and OCT going from near daily to daily. That is if I am reading it right. Also on Air Canada website non-stop service is bookable until April 28th.
Seems I did read it wrong. Website has been updated. April 28th is the last non stop

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Seems I did read it wrong. Website has been updated. April 28th is the last non stop
It's disappointing to see but I'm not too surprised. I care more about our non-stop domestics than international flights to Canada or Europe.

I'm sure this question has been answered previously but when will see a complete tear down and rebuild of Terminal A? Taller ceilings and a wider concourse would make a world of difference in there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
It's disappointing to see but I'm not too surprised. I care more about our non-stop domestics than international flights to Canada or Europe.
Toronto is actually 300+ miles closer to San Antonio than Boston or Seattle are. Toronto is essentially domestic flight. Just ask Kawhi Leonard.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Toronto is actually 300+ miles closer to San Antonio than Boston or Seattle are. Toronto is essentially domestic flight. Just ask Kawhi Leonard.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That buddy is incorrect. AC pulled out of AUS once prior to their current service. That flight is now mainline & doing quite well. Good enough that WestJet has announced plans to fly from AUS to Calgary starting in a few months.

WestJet is a Delta partner and is also adding flights to PDX. Both AUS & PDX are on Delta's short-term radar & it seems that the rumors may be slowly coming to fruition...AUS is going to be built into a DL Focus City & then into a small hub.

The first time Air Canada tried was in 2003-2004. Daily arrived around noon - on an A-320 - ground handled by United (before merger w/CA) on a United gate - pre-cleared customs in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:14 AM

Even if SAT may be losing Toronto. The airport has seen sizable increases in the last year. To include increases in capacity, frequency and multiple non-stops added. As part of their expansion plans, they have to add gates and/or another terminal in the short-term by 2023 to keep pace with growth. We have already had positive announcements made this year with Alaska, Sun Country and Interjet adding or increasing service. I can't wait to see what new options will be announced for SAT in 2019!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:05 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

The Air Canada Announcement doesn't surprise me honestly, and really, does it matter? Toronto really is just a connection hub to Europe (for SA at least) and SA already has plenty of those on US Flagged carriers. I have a feeling they will be back in the future though. For now SA should focus on increasing capacity on their domestic and MX routes and getting that damn Boston route! 2019 is already shaping up nicely.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:56 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'd love that damned Boston route.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 6:39 PM
robert die katze

In addition to Air Canada, Frontier is also dropping routes: https://www.expressnews.com/business...n-13578924.php

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:14 PM

Instead of moving forward we're heading south. Only in SA so sad!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 11:13 PM

The article said Frontier is decreasing non stops out of Austin & San Jose. So, no not only in SA.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 9:00 PM

While it is disappointing to hear this news. Aside from Air Canada's flight, the rest of the cancellations are coming from Frontier Airlines which won't occur until later this year.
Frontier's cancellations are happening to dozens of other cities across the country including Austin, San Jose and Cincinnati.
The second thing to note is that most of the destinations are seasonal, infrequently serviced routes for mostly leisure travelers.
From reading recent articles on this news it is noted that SAT officials aren't overly worried for a number of reasons including only losing about 1.5% seating capacity of total capacity from these flights.
They are already working on other options to Canada and recouping some of the destinations serviced by Frontier with other airlines and should continue to announce news flights/routes during 2019. SAT will continue to passenger growth records broken and I cannot wait until they finalize expansion details at least for the short-term to most likely open another terminal before 2023 among other details.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
SAT will continue to passenger growth records broken and I cannot wait until they finalize expansion details at least for the short-term to most likely open another terminal before 2023 among other details.
I wouldn't hold your breath on any sort of new terminal(s) by 2023. It's not necessary. SAT is not at full capacity yet. The airport's advisory committee commissioned a study which was completed last October. In that, they found SAT should reach 80% capacity in 2023 and require an additional 11 gates by 2038 - and a total of 63 gates by 2068.

Obviously, should the airport grow faster, they will need infrastructure much sooner. But, do not expect a new terminal by 2023. SAT needs to show that last year was not an aberration. It has never seen growth like that.

https://therivardreport.com/study-ex...g-san-antonio/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath on any sort of new terminal(s) by 2023. It's not necessary. SAT is not at full capacity yet. The airport's advisory committee commissioned a study which was completed last October. In that, they found SAT should reach 80% capacity in 2023 and require an additional 11 gates by 2038 - and a total of 63 gates by 2068.

Obviously, should the airport grow faster, they will need infrastructure much sooner. But, do not expect a new terminal by 2023. SAT needs to show that last year was not an aberration. It has never seen growth like that.

https://therivardreport.com/study-ex...g-san-antonio/
Well even if we don't see a new terminal. SAT would need to invest in other infrastructure, such as possible new runways by 2023 as stated by airport officials. If 30 consecutive months of passenger growth is any indication. We are more likely to see similar positive growth in 2019.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:26 AM

AA adding a second daily flight to Miami.

Beginning May 6 on an E175
Departs SAT 11:30 am arrives MIA 3:45 pm
Departs MIA 8:35 am arrives SAT 10:50 am

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
...such as possible new runways by 2023 as stated by airport officials. If 30 consecutive months of passenger growth is any indication. We are more likely to see similar positive growth in 2019.
SAT does not need new "runways" by 2023. If anything, they should look into extending one or both of them - not build additional ones. I'll give you this - one or both may need to be resurfaced in the near future.

Yes, 30 consecutive months of growth is outstanding. But, let's taper those expectations. We have seen substantial (double-digit) Y-O-Y growth for only a few of those months. And after 30 consecutive months of growth, we're only barely over 10 million passengers - with available capacity in the current layout.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
SAT does not need new "runways" by 2023. If anything, they should look into extending one or both of them - not build additional ones. I'll give you this - one or both may need to be resurfaced in the near future.

Yes, 30 consecutive months of growth is outstanding. But, let's taper those expectations. We have seen substantial (double-digit) Y-O-Y growth for only a few of those months. And after 30 consecutive months of growth, we're only barely over 10 million passengers - with available capacity in the current layout.
I know people in San Antonio hate when service center job announcements come up, but they have a large impact on corporate travel. Our company moved their outside sales out of Irvine, CA and most of that capacity came here. They have quarterly meetings of 300 people from across the country that fly in for planning.

Thinking of PenFed. (Not sure why I quoted you)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:

Alright, relax. I’m just trying point out that we should still see continued and sustained growth for a while in spite of the recent cancellations. You don’t need dissect every word. You win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio