HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Interesting.
We were always told that floors 2 and 3 were for the big food hall.
^i think that fell apart when liquor and lotteries back out of their deal.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Dec 18, 2018 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:45 PM

Next page.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
^i think that fell apart when liquor and lotteries back out of their deal.
There will still be a food hall.Likely a bit smaller than first suggested. It will not be small and a nice unusual offering in the city centre.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
There will still be a food hall.Likely a bit smaller than first suggested. It will not be small and a nice unusual offering in the city centre.
Yes level 2 will be the food hall, Hargrave St. Market at TNS.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:07 PM

Niiice.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Delete

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:01 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The current skywalk links between the arena and convention centre are effectively the shortest path possible. Sure the new path with be marginally shorter. Rather than the distance of the path it is actually more about control of the space people are walking past and potentially spending money in,
The new one will be purpose-built, more direct and offers a consistent look and more attractive experience, making claims that the Convention Centre and Bell MTS Place can work together for certain events a lot more convincing to event planners who come to take a look. Obviously locating your hotel in the middle of it doesn't hurt as well.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:28 AM

Yeah food hall I believe is first & second floor. Think third is still intended for retail. Likely that's just where Ceridian is putting its sign, they're likely on floor 4+.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The new one will be purpose-built, more direct and offers a consistent look and more attractive experience, making claims that the Convention Centre and Bell MTS Place can work together for certain events a lot more convincing to event planners who come to take a look. Obviously locating your hotel in the middle of it doesn't hurt as well.
That would potentially put an RBC Convention Centre/Bell MTS Place one of the larger in Canada, in terms of square feet, wouldn't it?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:36 PM

^ I often hear people referencing the fact that RBCCC and Bell MTS Place are connected, but realistically, when would there ever be an event that uses both facilities? I can't think of any in the 14 years that Bell MTS Place has existed. (Also: it's hard to believe the rink is 14 years old... I still think of it as the 'new arena' and feel a certain sense of wonderment every time I enter)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I often hear people referencing the fact that RBCCC and Bell MTS Place are connected, but realistically, when would there ever be an event that uses both facilities? I can't think of any in the 14 years that Bell MTS Place has existed. (Also: it's hard to believe the rink is 14 years old... I still think of it as the 'new arena' and feel a certain sense of wonderment every time I enter)
I think what's most important about linking the two is not that a new link has been provided per se, but rather that you've built a sorely needed higher classed hotel that can easily serve both. Not only that, but you've also just injected how ever many new residents into the area breathing a bit more life and money into the space.

Also totally agree about the rink. To me it'll be the new arena for a long time yet. Can we also just take a moment to appreciate the insane catalyst that BellMTS Place has been? Imagine if we'd have let people vote on that. That rink has changed the city in ways we could never have predicted
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:52 PM

^ The arena itself felt like phase one of the operation, but getting the NHL back was phase two. Things really hit high gear once we had the Jets back.

The new hotel will be nice, but really... it's not giving us much that we didn't have before. There are already two fairly high calibre hotels across the street from the arena (Radisson) and the convention centre (Delta), it's just that now there will be one more.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
^ The arena itself felt like phase one of the operation, but getting the NHL back was phase two. Things really hit high gear once we had the Jets back.

The new hotel will be nice, but really... it's not giving us much that we didn't have before. There are already two fairly high calibre hotels across the street from the arena (Radisson) and the convention centre (Delta), it's just that now there will be one more.
Unless Sutton Place has changed their mind, it would be giving us a 5 star hotel. Something Winnipeg has never had. Heck, we don't even have a true 4 star. I know most think Fairmont is but I've heard in the past (from a few former staff) they just pose as one (no competition for decades). Radisson & Delta although renovated could only be considered high calibre by Winnipeg standards.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:58 PM

^ The only Sutton Place I'm familiar with is the one in Edmonton and it strikes me as being in the same ballpark as a typical Fairmont... a solid four star hotel that a business traveller would like, but certainly not the kind of luxury place that would attract movie stars, Saudi princes or CEOs. I wouldn't put it in the same league as the likes of Four Seasons or St. Regis (the chain, not the abandoned hotel on Smith St.).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah food hall I believe is first & second floor. Think third is still intended for retail. Likely that's just where Ceridian is putting its sign, they're likely on floor 4+.
4th floor is the gym and conference space, mostly.
I was told today that Ceridian is taking up 'a good chunk' of the 3rd floor with the remaining being used as storage for the food hall vendors.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
^ The only Sutton Place I'm familiar with is the one in Edmonton and it strikes me as being in the same ballpark as a typical Fairmont... a solid four star hotel that a business traveller would like, but certainly not the kind of luxury place that would attract movie stars, Saudi princes or CEOs. I wouldn't put it in the same league as the likes of Four Seasons or St. Regis (the chain, not the abandoned hotel on Smith St.).
The Sutton Place in Vancouver is a 5-star hotel

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
They've touted it as a five star hotel, like their Vancouver property, their only other with their extended stay, La Grande Résidence.

Quote:
The Sutton Place Hotel will bring its tradition of luxury to Winnipeg’s Sports, Hospitality, and Entertainment District (SHED) with more than 430,000 square-feet of five-star space in two towers that form part of the True North Square development. The 4-storey podium, a 288-room, 18-storey hotel tower, and a 130-suite, 13-storey residential tower will bring stately, refined, old world classic yet modern character that will define the streets’ corner profile and complement the design features of True North Square’s office and residential towers. The more than 8,000 square-feet of ground floor retail space will be anchored by the feature restaurant, Chop Steakhouse & Bar.
http://www.tnse.com/news/sutton-plac...ngsummer-2018/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
I was told today that Ceridian is taking up 'a good chunk' of the 3rd floor with the remaining being used as storage for the food hall vendors.
Just meant 4+ as in somewhere there or up. I can't imagine that Ceridian's current 5 floors in their building would fit into not even the full 30,000 sqft third floor at TNS. Would also be odd to me to use part of the third floor for storage based on the quality of that space, and the layout would make it difficult to have good/direct access for vendors, in terms of where the elevators are – right by the big prime window real estate.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:18 AM

Quote:
That's disappointing, a two level food hall would have been really impressive.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 10:45 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan