HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 5:35 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Wow that is actually a big deal for the area!

So what is West End like these days? I remember back in the day it was a touristy area. But maybe 10 years ago I went with my parents and it seemed kind of sad. The indoor market thing was closing down for good at that time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:17 PM

West End has deteriorated since life has moved to Deep Ellum and Uptown. The vibe it once had has greatly been lost. There's a lot of homeless and druggies everywhere. Crime has gotten bad. It's not safe at night. West End Station has become an epicenter of muggings, assaults and panhandling. It definitely doesn't feel comfortable walking around like it used to. However, the city is working hard on addressing these issues and the police are cracking down on the panhandlers, who have been a large source of violent assaults. Give it a few more years and West End should start improving with new developments.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:27 PM
high five!

From today

Park District

1900 Pearl

Katy Station

Bleu Ciel

Cinepolis/The 23

Skyhouse Victory Place

The Ascent

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 3:15 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshdodd View Post
West End has deteriorated since life has moved to Deep Ellum and Uptown. The vibe it once had has greatly been lost. There's a lot of homeless and druggies everywhere. Crime has gotten bad. It's not safe at night. West End Station has become an epicenter of muggings, assaults and panhandling. It definitely doesn't feel comfortable walking around like it used to. However, the city is working hard on addressing these issues and the police are cracking down on the panhandlers, who have been a large source of violent assaults. Give it a few more years and West End should start improving with new developments.
Is it really that bad? What about during the day? What part of central Dallas has a lot of people walking around these days?

I've been to Denver which on one hand seems completely overrun with panhandlers, BUT there is such a huge volume of regular people on the streets going to work/shop/home too, so it dilutes out.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Is it really that bad? What about during the day? What part of central Dallas has a lot of people walking around these days?

I've been to Denver which on one hand seems completely overrun with panhandlers, BUT there is such a huge volume of regular people on the streets going to work/shop/home too, so it dilutes out.
No, it's not that bad at all. In all actuality, it's kinda on the verge of blowing up (in a good way).

It still has a bunch of restaurants and WAY more residential than back in its "heyday," but with construction underway on the old market building and now the Corgan addition, not to mention the upcoming holocaust museum, the KWP extension, and possibly the South Asian Museum as well, the West End is in a great position to become a real neighborhood with homes, offices, retail, culture, yada yada yada.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post

Yes. It really has gotten bad:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/d...tation-7991520

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
No, it's not that bad at all. In all actuality, it's kinda on the verge of blowing up (in a good way).

It still has a bunch of restaurants and WAY more residential than back in its "heyday," but with construction underway on the old market building and now the Corgan addition, not to mention the upcoming holocaust museum, the KWP extension, and possibly the South Asian Museum as well, the West End is in a great position to become a real neighborhood with homes, offices, retail, culture, yada yada yada.
Agreed.

This is an accurate portrayal of present-day West End.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 7:51 AM

If anything most of the bad happening in the west end is at and around the West Transfer Station. Outside of that, its more than fine and actually has some new development. People are fine walking around there at night even.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:02 AM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^Yeah I haven't had to much issue with west end and have noticed way more growth than deterioration, the west end station does attract and interesting crowd at times but all in all I really wouldn't say it's dangerous.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:33 PM

Any news on the new Perot building across from museum. Heard it was going to be 600-800 ft.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:58 PM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^ No official news or height figures have been released on this project, all we have seen is speculative renderings and some demoliton. Everything as of yet is pure speculation and unconfirmed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 10:34 PM

1401 Elm has changed from "The Olympic" to "The Drever."

Landmark Dallas skyscraper gets a new name and redevelopment plan
Steve Brown
August 10, 2016

Quote:
The developer says the skyscraper will be redeveloped into "a luxury high-rise combining residential, hotel, spa, retail, office and restaurant."

The tower is scheduled to reopen in 2018.

"The Drever is a legacy for my family and the generations to come," said Maxwell Drever, chairman of Drever Capital. "This is a long-term commitment for us.
Quote:
Specifics of the project include a 236-room five-star hotel, 348 apartment units, a spa and wellness center plus restaurants, retail and entertainment.

The Drever will have an outdoor terrace rooftop deck, with pool, fire pits, rain showers, fitness center and dog park.

The eight-story base of the tower will be converted into a more than 27,000-square-foot retail space, 44,000 square feet of office space, and the hotel and residents' lobbies.

Plans call for the 50th floor to have a public observation deck.
Full Article

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br.reese View Post
Any news on the new Perot building across from museum. Heard it was going to be 600-800 ft.
The site has no height restriction limits, so Perot can build as tall as he wants. How tall? Well, I hope it will be supertall. And there's good reason to believe that it just might be a supertall.

As quoted by Perot himself: “A future building . . . to impact the Dallas skyline for generations to come.”

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 1:01 AM
high five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by br.reese View Post
They're currently tearing down the old Bank of America drive thru bank that sits on the site. Not a whole lot else besides that

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 10:32 PM
World Traveler

So...what's happening in Dallas? It seems that DallasMetropolis is messed up right now...so I can't get any updates.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
So...what's happening in Dallas? It seems that DallasMetropolis is messed up right now...so I can't get any updates.
hahaha - with DallasMetropolis temporarily down, I was much more productive at work today!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:48 AM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^same here lol

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 8:54 PM
World Traveler

Haha, I was thinking the same thing...but I'm still curious as to how things are going.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 9:40 PM
high five!

$90 million proposal puts a parking garage in Klyde Warren Park. Wait. What?
Written byRobert Wilonsky

Quote:
On Thursday, Jody Grant, the chair of the Woodall Rodgers Deck Park Foundation, will go to City Hall to debut the latest iteration of the Klyde Warren, which includes a new deck topped by a parking garage covered with a bar and restaurant, elevated walkways stretching east toward the Arts District and west toward the Perot Museum of Nature and Science, a cantilevered deck hanging over the freeway and the long-promised fountain along Pearl Street, among other significant additions and alterations.
http://beta.dallasnews.com/news/news...rren-park-wait

https://www.scribd.com/document/3213...ing#from_embed

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 10:47 PM

I am actually intrigued

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations