HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 3:32 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Adobias, obviously you have never been downtown on a friday or saturday night. I apologize for insinuating but you probably aren't old enough. Try going to a club downtown and telling me it isn't packed wall to wall, try telling me there isn't lines for most of the lounges on Houston Street. Also, "cruisers" in urban core areas go together like Paris Hilton and jail. That's for all cities I've ever lived in. You're not going to stop it. Finally, I apologize for the pop culture analogy, especially since it involved Paris Hilton.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 6:13 PM

San Antonio has one of the most active downtowns in the U.S. The new city manager from Phoenix,Scully, in an interview was amazed by S.A's vibrant downtown.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 6:48 PM

DT is pretty active. But all those people don't live in DT. The ones you see walkin a dog or joggin live around the King William area. Everyone else lives outside the DT area, or is a tourist. But it doesn't matter i guess its still active..except on sundays.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I counted 23 completed floors, so 11 more to go. The building at 130.1 m when finished, will almost be as tall as the Marriott (134.4 m w/ out the spires). But because of it's width, the building seems much bigger to me in person.
Thanks.

That thing is massive, too bad I can't see it in person

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 4:35 PM

what other hotel is going up on houston st

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 7:49 PM

is it very hard to build a highrise condo downtown in the price range of 200 to 300 thousand for a 2 or 3 bedroom

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 8:25 PM

Can someone link me to or post up renderings of the Marriot Courtyard...I know its only 17 stories but i'd like to see what its going to look like...Also has anyone been by recently? Is it above ground yet?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 7:58 AM
Meh

^ The only images of it I've seen are a couple of xeroxed black and whites that are about ~2 years old. I had them saved on my computer, but that harddrive unfortunately went belly up. The building is very skinny, though. I don't really remember the design/facade, but it was a skinny building. Anyone have a rendering of it? Or care to go on the hunt for one?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 8:09 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Hello Forumers...

I've been in South Africa for awhile now and I've just now snuck onto the forum to see all of the development taking place.

This city (Johannesburg) is crazy, with cranes everywhere. They are mostly suburban and in their new suburban downtown (Sandton) but even in Africa downtown is undergoing a residential revitalization.

(I took that image from http://www.sacities.net/cities/joburg/skyline.jpg)

I live under the tiny-looking observation tower (Sentech Tower) on the left of the photo, which was taken from a funny angle. The tower at right is 90 stories, the prominent building in front is 54 and is all residential (Ponte City Tower). The tallest office building in Africa is the Carlton Centre, the tall square building on the far left.

Anwyay, thanks to all of you for contributing to the forum. I love all of the photo updates and I will try to check in more often to keep up. Keep up the great work!!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Hello Forumers...

I've been in South Africa for awhile now and I've just now snuck onto the forum to see all of the development taking place.

This city (Johannesburg) is crazy, with cranes everywhere. They are mostly suburban and in their new suburban downtown (Sandton) but even in Africa downtown is undergoing a residential revitalization.

(I took that image from http://www.sacities.net/cities/joburg/skyline.jpg)

I live under the tiny-looking observation tower (Sentech Tower) on the left of the photo, which was taken from a funny angle. The tower at right is 90 stories, the prominent building in front is 54 and is all residential (Ponte City Tower). The tallest office building in Africa is the Carlton Centre, the tall square building on the far left.

Anwyay, thanks to all of you for contributing to the forum. I love all of the photo updates and I will try to check in more often to keep up. Keep up the great work!!
Carlton Centre like Weston Centre hahaha

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 3:34 PM
Meh

^ It's an English thing. In America we spell it 'center' in most countries that are English in heritage they spell it 'centre'. There's other words that they spell differently, favour, vs favor, colour vs color. Some buildings/places/things in the US spell it that way to be "cool" or different. I actually end up catching myself spelling it that way sometimes, and I even spell theater like theatre. My mom's side of the family is English, so I guess that has something to do with it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 8:06 PM
The Space Pope

Gotta love English

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 8:16 PM
Meh

^ Hey, so what's the weather been like down in San Antonio today? I noticed Tropical Depression Erin was just about centered on top of San Antonio and looked like you guys were getting some good rain. We had thunder and lightning early this morning with some heavy rain, but since noon it's been quiet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 8:29 PM
James

It's still raining...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^ It's an English thing. In America we spell it 'center' in most countries that are English in heritage they spell it 'centre'. There's other words that they spell differently, favour, vs favor, colour vs color. Some buildings/places/things in the US spell it that way to be "cool" or different. I actually end up catching myself spelling it that way sometimes, and I even spell theater like theatre. My mom's side of the family is English, so I guess that has something to do with it.
Yeah I knew all that already lol

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 7:58 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Yeah I knew all that already lol

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:12 PM
The Space Pope

It rained like hell continuously and not just any rain.....it looked like the huge drops one would associate with the tropics (Hawaii, Yucatan). There was flooding everywhere, some fatalities. Just sheets and sheets of rain, limited visibility. Supposedly it's going to continue today.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:36 PM
James

^^^ Yet there is incessant sunshine, lol. But the flooding was really bad yesterday, here are a few pictures to show it. These where all taken from various photographers at Mysanantonio.com.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:57 PM
Meh

^ Those were on the front page of Austin's newspaper this morning. Crazy!

7 people have been reported dead from the storm, both in San Antonio and Houston. It's crazy that you guys got so much considering Corpus got almost nothing. I saw the news crew down there as the storm was rolling in and it was calm. Then 150 to 250 miles inland there's 10 inch rains!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:34 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Some more from yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio