HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I also believe nothing less than 300 ft should be built on the River, but nothing more than 500 ft. Any property on the River should be treated as greatly unique and considered decades lasting and should therefore be considered as such, wherein shortsighted structures, similar to that of an eight-story hotel currently under construction, for instance, should be disallowed.

That's just my take on a few things.
I can agree with this to a point. DT proper, sure, but the Northern reaches of the rive could contend with height over 500'.

Just try walking the river South from The Pearl, and not imagine tall, well built structures lining that part to say SAMA. Maybe even further towards DT than that.

We were there at night not long ago, and using the media antennae in the area as a guage, it wasn't hard to imagine at all.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
I lived in Austin when their Frost bank building was built. At the time, it was extremely exciting because it was going to be the city's new tallest. That building was a real catalyst for downtown Austin's growth, because it got people thinking about downtown in a different way than they had before.

This Frost won't be our tallest, but hopefully the excitement this one is bringing will have a similar effect with our downtown. We gotta start somewhere. This is a good start.
I grew up in Austin and remember when the Frost Tower went up. There was a lot of excitement at the time about getting such an iconic building. Many people I knew back then were as excited about that building as we are for this one and just like you said, it was the catalyst for what downtown Austin has become.

I have very high (no pun intended) hopes for this Frost tower as well and what it can do for San Antonio.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:55 PM

Here's a view of the tower from IH 35 S. The best pic I can get while driving (I was very safe)...taken today on 02/12/18.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:30 PM

[QUOTE=JACKinBeantown;8081683]I contacted OxBlue to let them know Camera #2 has been down since January 30. You can too. It takes about 20 seconds.

Both webcams are up and running. It appears that OxBlue has toggled the zoom function. Make sense since the building will inevitably get taller as construction progresses.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

[QUOTE=PDD;8084375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I contacted OxBlue to let them know Camera #2 has been down since January 30. You can too. It takes about 20 seconds.

Both webcams are up and running. It appears that OxBlue has toggled the zoom function. Make sense since the building will inevitably get taller as construction progresses.
Thanks. Yup, looks like they reset camera 2 so it will encompass the whole building... topped out.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:44 PM
James

02/14/2018

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:01 AM
JACKinBeantown

^^ like button

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:11 AM

The quality of the construction cameras has really improved.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I agree, the view has improved. I think they just pulled the cameras' zooms a little wider to fit the future entirety of the building. Don't know why they didn't set them up that way in the first place. It would have made for a better timelapse in the end.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
It has, and as an added bonus we now get to see more of the San Pedro Creek construction in camera 1!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:47 AM

This is only slightly related, but does anyone know if they're doing something with that parking lot between the new Frost tower and the Embassy Suites?

Driving around those intersections is like driving through a war zone right now with all the construction. But I can't tell if it's just the improvements to Main or something else.

That lot would be an amazing location for another tower. Right by the Frost, right across from the Geekdom building, close to the river, the new Royal Blue will be at the corner of Houston and Soledad etc:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:50 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Those surface parking lots will eventually be developed into, I believe, residential developments.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:10 PM
James

I think with the frost there, i've felt like those lots are perfect for a new tallest tower. It's in the middle of all of that.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

The area is far enough away from the Alamo and Tower that there shouldn't be any interference concerns from the HDRC, and the space is certainly there.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

They're working on the 13th floor, so they're just about half way to the top of the crown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Those surface parking lots will eventually be developed into, I believe, residential developments.
You know, I wouldn't mind seeing these lots made into a duel park. But a duel residential tower would be nice!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Can someone in SA please get a photo of the garage? Specifically the bracings that hold up the large horizontal floorplates. They look like tiny little nubbins on the webcam. Hoping they look bigger in real life.
I do not know how to post pictures on here, but when I take more pictures, I'll send you my Instagram. I already have a few construction pictures on there, though. I'll let you know.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:18 AM

WOW! The crane is currently really high up. This is the first time this crane is taller than the first one installed. I think its now as tall as the tower will be.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 4:43 AM
JACKinBeantown

It's definitely higher, but I'd say it's about as high as the 22nd perceived floor (which I believe will be counted as the 21st floor). If so, then there are two more floors and the crown above it, so it will have to be raised one more time.

Both cameras have been pulled wider to fit the whole building in, and camera 2 is just barely wide enough, so the crown will top out near the top of the screen in camera 2 if they don't adjust it again. The crane isn't that high, so it will rise again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio