HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:37 PM
ARTchitecture

I'm very surprised that Fort Mac doesn't have any large office buildings built or proposed yet...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 7:04 PM
So very tired...

Execs don't want to live there. They are happy to call the shots from Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 7:34 PM

Most Consulting firms only have a token presents as well. It’s relatively easy to get up there for a day for meetings. As for me I have clients that actually schedule meetings so I can be at 3 meetings in one day and still make the flight at 5.
GOA has a small presents as well. But as you see the city grow I expect to see at least one new tower in the next 5-10 years. There is quite a bit of growth in the surrounding business parks.
Also there is not a lot of land for commercial high-rises because of the land costs.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 6:34 PM
Dahvie Fan

*presence

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Also there is not a lot of land for commercial high-rises because of the land costs.
If anything the fact that land is so insanely expensive in Fort McMurray should be a reason that people "DO" build tall. Buying a small city lot for 5-10 million dollars only to build a 4 story office building is a complete waste of money. The rezoning and ability to now build tall towers in the city core, combined with the price of the downtown land should push people to start to think tall when building in the core.

Now what they need to do is get rid of alot of the big box types of stores and their associated massive above ground parking lots. Downtown Fort McMurray is at present more like a retail power center then a proper downtown core of a fairly major city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:44 PM
Urban Advocate

The Region screwed up when they rezoned their entire downtown to higher density, inflated the land value artificially, and then proceeded to purchase a bunch of it at that inflated value. It will be interesting to see what happens now with development in the downtown area after the flood plain/development boundaries by the province.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:09 PM

Here is the rendering for Quarry Ridge. I don't think anyone has posted it yet.

http://www.collierscanada.com/9901

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 PM

I do believe it has been started

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 10:18 PM
Dahvie Fan

Please Airboy more pictures of fort Mac

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:51 PM

Don't get many chances when I blow through town, mostly it's get off the Plane head over to the project sites then jump back on the plane. I will probably get more time, as 2 more project are coming on line and I will probably have to overnight a few times.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:17 PM
A Better Place

Quote:

This is the site of the future arena/entertainment complex. Quarry Ridge is located at the south end of town on the west side of 63, across from Mackenzie Industrial Park.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:48 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh, so they have already started construction on the arena and the new office tower?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:00 PM

As far as I know the arena is still only in the planning stage, as for the tower the collier map shows the location. Right now the biggest municipal projects, which are not oil sands projects, are Shell Place at MacDonald Island and the South Operations Centre. Also the new air terminal.

Next up is the Northern Lights Hospital Envelop upgrade and reclad. And a new north side health centre (this has been start and stop for 5 years, originally 2 buildings now one scaled down).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:

I hope they can incorporate the legendary Digger's and Oil Can into the design

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 11:42 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Fort McMurray is closing its floatplane base as they try and get a 27-story downtown redevelopment to go through, as well as building a bridge over the Athabasca River.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...800/story.html

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 12:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Is the tower having troubles in approvals?

What does it have to do with the float plane terminal? Seems like a weird correlation.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 4:04 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Is the tower having troubles in approvals?

What does it have to do with the float plane terminal? Seems like a weird correlation.
Would seem that the tower might pierce the cone, not the approach.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 4:56 AM

"One of Canada’s oldest seaplane bases is being closed to make way for 27-storey condominiums and a $77-million pedestrian bridge." a quote from the article

This would be float planes landing on the Snye.

It was pretty obvious that was going to cease to be possible since they are building a huge marina in the Snye and the pedestrian bridge (which at 77 million dollars dwarfs the pricetag of the Peace Bridge in Calgary, that better be one phenomenal looking bridge). The tower might need the offical closing of the float plane base to move ahead but that base was getting toasted off regardless.

For what it is worth I have been living in Fort McMurray for close to a year now and have never noticed a plane landing on the Snye. I am sure there are a few but it is not some super common thing.

27 stories is insanely tall for Fort McMurray as well, that is going to soar above the rest of downtown. It is a city that is very much in need of developments like that though with the lack of available housing at anything close to resembling reasonable prices.

I cannot wait to see a render on this, hopefully it does not suck and rivals alot of the cool stuff being built in Calgary these days.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 3:44 PM
ARTchitecture

So there hasn't been an approval process yet? Is it even an official proposal yet?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 4:47 PM

The Snye redevelopment has been ongoing for some time. The float base has been slowly dwindling. This past year I only counted a couple of planes parked there and even those did not look like Charters. There is also a weed problem which has had an effect on the float base. The removal of powered water craft is a new one on me though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia