HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEVET View Post
WestSide Multi-Modal Transit Center - Another great step forward, to become even better when Greyhound relocates to the site, freeing up that prime real estate on N. St. Mary's St for something I have a feeling will be really exciting. As far as the recently-posted plans for light-rail go, they are quite ambitious and admirable. Out of the projected 1.1 million new arrivals to the city over the next 20-25 years, I do believe about 700,000 of them would have to vote for this to become a reality.
This post was the bomb.

Question on the above part--is Greyhound moving there? Has that been confirmed? That would be INCREDIBLY exciting if so. I heard they renewed their lease at their St. Mary's location.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
This post was the bomb.

Question on the above part--is Greyhound moving there? Has that been confirmed? That would be INCREDIBLY exciting if so. I heard they renewed their lease at their St. Mary's location.
My referral to a potential move by Greyhound to the WestSide MultiModal Center (WMMC) was based upon the original conceptions depicted when the project was first announced, and you can imagine how long ago that was. It was definitely included in the discussion about what the project was to entail. SAtown, if you are right about the lease renewal, then yet another great idea is consigned to the scrapheap. Hope springeth eternal and it would have made so much sense for them to be co-located at a VIA Transit hub. As the WMMC was initially conceived, a light-rail line linking it to the quarry site at the Rim was also mentioned, using the track that will be abandoned when the Martin Marietta Beckman quarry closes in 2017 or 2018. Of course, you remember the line about the best laid plans of mice and men...

I should correct what I said in my post about the Joske's Tower being a loss for planned residential space. Going back over the contributions of fellow posters, I see it was clearly intended to be a hotel, but I swear someone mentioned a condo/apt structure being part of the plan. Alas, my intel and I share common distinctions, both are motheaten and dilapidated. Later.

Keep San Antonio (The Driving Dead) Comatose...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:29 AM

Still a bummer

Quote:
My referral to a potential move by Greyhound to the WestSide MultiModal Center (WMMC) was based upon the original conceptions depicted when the project was first announced, and you can imagine how long ago that was. It was definitely included in the discussion about what the project was to entail. SAtown, if you are right about the lease renewal, then yet another great idea is consigned to the scrapheap. Hope springeth eternal and it would have made so much sense for them to be co-located at a VIA Transit hub. As the WMMC was initially conceived, a light-rail line linking it to the quarry site at the Rim was also mentioned, using the track that will be abandoned when the Martin Marietta Beckman quarry closes in 2017 or 2018. Of course, you remember the line about the best laid plans of mice and men...

I should correct what I said in my post about the Joske's Tower being a loss for planned residential space. Going back over the contributions of fellow posters, I see it was clearly intended to be a hotel, but I swear someone mentioned a condo/apt structure being part of the plan. Alas, my intel and I share common distinctions, both are motheaten and dilapidated. Later.

Keep San Antonio (The Driving Dead) Comatose...
The closest I can find is that it was to be hotel/timeshare. Still a bummer that it has been scrapped...at least for now, as the upgrades to the structure, I believe, would still allow for such construction.

And I too admire you post. Well written, thought out, and occasionally humorous.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
The closest I can find is that it was to be hotel/timeshare. Still a bummer that it has been scrapped...at least for now, as the upgrades to the structure, I believe, would still allow for such construction.

And I too admire you post. Well written, thought out, and occasionally humorous.

Stop harping and whining about old news, and what could have been.
It's in the PAST. Move on and get over it. Things happen, and "You can't always get what you want".
Talk about current news and development, even though they are not to your liking.

Keep San Antonio historical

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:09 PM

Gotten over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Stop harping and whining about old news, and what could have been.
It's in the PAST. Move on and get over it. Things happen, and "You can't always get what you want".
Talk about current news and development, even though they are not to your liking.

Keep San Antonio historical
Whew, thank goodness! I had almost become completely convinced that we'd been left totally devoid and bereft of the calm, rational voice of sober objectivity. Indeed, the conjured vision of poor Restless 1 dejectedly slinking to the doghouse with his tail smartly tucked between his crooked hind legs almost leaves me misty. After all, how could he be otherwise after getting smacked down by the overwhelming power of such sheer, withering logic?

Having become familiar with so many of Restless 1's posts, however, I do wonder if there could be other significance to his comments about the Joske's Tower. I mean, he can hardly be characterized as a habitual, chronic fountain of negativity. Might he have been alluding to the fact that acknowledgment of past errors could help one avoid committing similar ones thereafter? Is it conceivable that he knew one of the definitions of stupidity is to do the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome? Could it have been remotely possible that he felt calling attention to failed strategies and unsuccessful schemes could actually cause people to change their way of thinking? Did he even feel, as Cicero, that to remain ignorant of history is to forever remain a child?

Yes, I suppose any of those things could be possible. But, upon further reflection, I guess probably not. He is, most likely, just a cringing, cowering complainer. I'm grateful someone had the guts to put him in the place where he belongs.

Keep San Antonio Comatose...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Stop harping and whining about other people's posts, and what could have been posted.
Talk about current news and development, even though I never share any current news about development, I just harp and whine about other people's posts.

Keep San Antonio hysterical

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:39 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Enough petty squabbling. Back to the topic of the thread.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 10:28 PM
Meh

I don't know if this has been posted before, and I don't even know where this is planned, but the Biz Journal had a rendering of the 7-story Institute for Women’s Health’s planned new medical office building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...continues.html

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:16 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Maybe at the Methodist Hospital?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't know if this has been posted before, and I don't even know where this is planned, but the Biz Journal had a rendering of the 7-story Institute for Women’s Health’s planned new medical office building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...continues.html
Kevin - The link you provided seems to be behind a paywall, but this one (also from SABJ) clearly states it will be in the South Texas Medical Center.

bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2015/11/20/multi-story-office-structure-planned-for-south.html

Keep San Antonio Comatose (and harping and whining)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Kevin - The link you provided seems to be behind a paywall, but this one (also from SABJ) clearly states it will be in the South Texas Medical Center.

bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2015/11/20/multi-story-office-structure-planned-for-south.html

Keep San Antonio Comatose (and harping and whining)
Would you believe 11/27??? Sorry.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 10:13 PM

http://m.mysanantonio.com/real-estat...#photo-8607559

Thank goodness some people came to their senses.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 10:31 PM
James

Since the HDRC have to approve the design, that means it won't be a cookie cutter box of apts either. Sweeeet!

EDIT: wait... it could lol

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:57 PM

That article made me laugh. I looked at the building via Google Maps and it didn't really fit the description. Next time I'm in town I'll take a closer look, but the descriptions I'm referring to are:
Quote:
...a run-down warehouse...
yes it's old, but run-down? There are certainly examples of run-down in downtown.
Quote:
...a dilapidated warehouse with a corrugated metal exterior...
That sounds like a rusty shack! That would indicate that the building would be in bad shape and in that case historic designation couldn't save it anyway. Which is not the case here. The actual designation was in question. Also, the metal exterior seems to only be on the street facing side. I wonder what might be under that? It actually seems like a pretty solid concrete or masonry building.

Does anyone know if the tracks next to the building are active? (I know the ones next to Dorcol Distillery are.)

It sounds like it could be a good project being mixed use and hopefully they follow the same aesthetics as the earlier South Flores residential projects. Normally I would say no to more apartments, but in this case it feels like they are going to slap something up like the Agave on Cesar Chavez which should be apartments.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:56 PM
James

As far as I know the tracks are active... and here's the site plan from the Rivard Report.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:53 AM

Thanks for that.

I read the Rivard story initially on my phone and didn't really look at the images. One shows an interesting picture of the inside. It almost looks like the warehouse was built onto an existing smaller building maybe off of Flores and the remainder that extends back is pretty wide open (probably with the metal walls).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 11:24 AM
JACKinBeantown

294 residential units and almost zero street-facing retail. In fact, it's almost completely street-facing parking spaces. What a wasted opportunity!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 11:32 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
294 residential units and almost zero street-facing retail. In fact, it's almost completely street-facing parking spaces. What a wasted opportunity!
Those are train tracks, not a street. All the retail (red) is street facing,

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Definitely a solid proposal given how awkward a piece of land that is.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:45 PM

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...0-A7F92FB5D382

New signage proposed for BBVA Compass at the top of Weston Centre. This looks much better than what was proposed to HDRC before--what do you all think?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio