HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 3:56 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

San Antonio Police Chief to be Grand Marshal of SA Gay Pride Festival and Parade

McManus set to lead gay parade

Web Posted: 06/27/2007 10:36 PM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...l.33ac5ab.html

Guillermo Contreras
Express-News

Police Chief William McManus will be the grand marshal of Sunday's Gay Pride SA Festival and Parade, the first to cop to assume the role.

The local police force had a strained relationship with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and was rapped over it in a 2005 report by Amnesty International. But since McManus became police chief in April 2006, gay activists say, he has made it a point to foster better understanding, communication with and treatment of that sizable minority group.

The festival portion is from 6 to 11 p.m., and the parade starts at 9 p.m. Both mark the end of Gay Pride Month and are held on North Main Avenue, east of San Antonio College.

"My take is this chief has really been a blessing to work with," said John Downum, owner of The Saint nightclub and an event organizer. "He's in it for the total community, not just the gays, or blacks, or any one group."

Travis Peterson, chairman of the Stonewall Democrats' Peace Officers Liaison Committee, said it's only fitting that McManus be the grand marshal.

Peterson, one of 12 members of the gay community who will provide sensitivity training to officers beginning in August, points to a handful of measures that helped change the perception of the department. Among them is McManus' directive to keep Capt. Larry Birney, who commands SAPD training, as the department's liaison to the LGBT community. McManus also has launched efforts to hire more minorities, including gays.

Last year, McManus attended meetings of the Stonewall Democrats of San Antonio, a political action committee, met with owners of gay nightclubs and went to the clubs with his wife to familiarize himself with the scene.

"We made a night of it," he said of the couple's visits to gay nightclubs.

He even ordered all officers who patrol the area near Main Avenue — where several of the clubs are located — to attend one of the meetings "to drive home the point that he wanted more cooperation with the gay community," said Sam Sanchez, who publishes QSanAntonio.com, a Web site covering issues affecting the LGBT community.

"The thing is that for so long, the Police Department had a really bad reputation with the community to the point that no one really trusted them," Sanchez said. "He's helped lift that suspicion that people had about them. There's still work to be done, but he's been able to do more, and little by little, attitudes will change."

McManus told reporters Wednesday that the Amnesty International report "showed me there was something there that needed to be worked on."

"We've opened up communication with the gay community, and ... I think being in the parade solidifies that," he said. "It's icing on the cake."

Before coming to San Antonio, McManus was the liaison to the gay community while he was with the Washington, D.C., Police Department. As police chief in Minneapolis, he marched in a gay pride parade there.

And while he was in the nation's capital, McManus was the subject of fodder for the press over his friendship with Dave Kopay, a retired football player who was among the first pro athletes to declare his homosexuality. The two were romantically linked in the press. Even after McManus got married, newspapers suggested he was gay. McManus told this story to the Stonewall Democrats at a meeting last year.

McManus said he and Kopay, whom he met in the mid-1970s, are friends.

"A person's sexuality is irrelevant to me," McManus said of his dealings with people in the gay community.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 6:00 AM

I thought this story was pretty intresting when I first heard about it. Not sure how the city will take this but I could care less. Do what makes you happy.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 12:49 PM

You should be very proud!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 1:45 PM
Endless Moments...

Hmm, the Mayor was in Houston's. It was a really awesome parade. Gotta love the H town. Anyhow well that is intreating news for SA to say the least, would never have expected it. As Butters says "Hi I'm bi-curious."

Last edited by Complex01; Jun 29, 2007 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 1:11 AM

this is great news... and to be quite honest, IT'S ABOUT TIME! there has been a major gap in the relationship of many san antonio departments (not just police) and the gay community, and the fact that not only is he affirming that relationship... but he's doing so by quite a vocal action!

i really don't think that any minority should be treated better than the majority or any other minority... but i do think that everyone should be treated equally, and trying to see from another's perspective is a genuine effort in trying to understand and realize that we all have an equal place!

okay, off my soapbox... let's play some ball!!!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:11 AM

Yeah, this is a pretty progressive and unexpected move for San Antonio, and it's about time.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 4:13 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

This is yet another issue that I think San Antonio is very underrated on. SA is a very forward thinking city.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:26 AM

Metro | State
Sponsored
By

More tolerant city emerges with festival

Web Posted: 07/02/2007 12:00 AM CDT

Brian Chasnoff
Express-News
Congratulations, San Antonio, you're finally growing up.
That's the message the city received from many in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community Sunday night as they joined in the merriment at the Gay Pride SA Festival and Parade near downtown. A city with a notably strained history with the LGBT community, San Antonio has made strides in recent years toward increased tolerance, they said.

"We went for so long being a city with a small-town outlook on things," said John Downum, owner of The Saint nightclub and an event organizer. "We're maturing. The city is maturing. There's more of an accepting type of atmosphere."

Such growth was on display at the block party. The event boasted not only fruit-flavored condoms and preening drag queens but also a pioneering police chief as grand marshal and a first-ever San Antonio fire truck in the parade.

Police Chief William McManus, dressed down in a T-shirt and slacks, received a hero's welcome as he headed the colorful procession and waved from the front seat of a sedan.

Many in the crowd took notice.

Tom Simmons, a former U.S. Air Force employee who hid his bisexuality from the military and his ex-wife for years, agreed that an atmosphere of tolerance in the Alamo City has been growing.

"I'm certainly more comfortable being out in the past five years than I was previously," said Simmons, 60, who founded a local gay men's chorus shortly before retiring.

(Photos by Kevin Geil/Express-News)
C.C. Melone St. James performs near downtown at the Gay Pride SA Festival and Parade, which got its first-ever listing in the San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau brochure.

Vendors get ready for the opening of the Gay Pride SA Festival and Parade, which marks the end of Gay Pride Month.
Some members of the chorus used to hide their identities, he said, something that stopped about 10 years ago, around the same time the city's Office of Cultural Affairs began giving money to the group.

Sunday's block party, listed for the first time this year in the city's Convention & Visitors Bureau brochure, could be the catalyst that pushes San Antonio into a league with other exceptionally tolerant places, organizers said.

"It just underscores how the city is realizing, wow, we need to support this," said Mark Skruhak, 47, Simmons' partner.

Some noted room for progress.

Gilbert Lopez, 50, a member of the Stonewall Democrats of San Antonio, said he chose to stop hiding his homosexuality this year so he could foster acceptance in Texas.

Accepted or not, event organizer and entertainer Autumn Summers was ready to perform at the festival. Garbed in a red dress, he launched into a lip-synched ballad, dispensing kisses to the crowd and collecting cash for various charities. Partygoers smiled, sang along and ate gorditas.

Roxie O'Neill, a drag queen from Devine crowned this year's Miss Gay Fiesta for Life, soaked it in before hitting the stage himself.

San Antonio has "always been awesome to me," he said.

bchasnoff@express-news.net

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:28 AM

There was a lot of people down there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio