HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 8:30 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:30 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Ok that's a cool shot.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 5:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some Vista overload. Hell of a Vista might I add.

Make full screen, your monitors.

For some reason, 2560x1440 shots are too big for Chicago threads ... so see spoiler.

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 28, 2020 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 6:51 AM

Wow, nice set Chris

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 4:13 AM

^ Amazing. Thank you!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 2:26 PM

Man, just when you think you've seen every possible angle, you get one where Vista's setbacks somehow line up with NEMA's. Unbelievable timing, and excellent shots. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Hope everyone's doing well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:50 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
At least the blow-thru floor has intentionality to it. It doesn't break the building aesthetically. The seemingly random, splotchy-looking black ventilation (or whatever it is) on the south face of the building, however, is a curse on the Chicago skyline. Tourists will come here and see the blow-thru and be like "okay, sure" but when they look at that ventilation they will be like "wtf"
100% agree.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 9:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the blow-thru floor. Seems to add some character to the tower.

Also the base of Vista is growing with me. At first, I kept having the notion that its the weakest aesthetic portion of the tower, but more I look at it, the more I like it.

This tower does have character. A few years ago, when this was first revealed, I must admit, I thought it was garbage, but now that its almost complete, I realize the genius behind it. What I admire most about it is how its a completely different tower depending on the angle. It has many faces, and many personalities depending on where you view it from. Its quite a trippy experience.

Also how light plays with it. The luminosity of the day adds even further to the design. A game of refraction and reflection, which it excels in. Like the ever changing reflection of the river, this too shares those attributes, and the time of day with respect to the suns angle, and suns luminosity (seasonal) makes this tower have a fresh new face every day, and different character throughout the year (IMO, as winter tends to have washed out sun light, and summer a more prominent, magnitude to it).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:27 PM
BANNED

This picture does her no justice, but it's absolutely my favorite angle. There's so much texture and the final frustum makes it even more taller than it is.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Call me crazy, but I kinda like the blow-thru floor. Seems to add some character to the tower.

Also the base of Vista is growing with me. At first, I kept having the notion that its the weakest aesthetic portion of the tower, but more I look at it, the more I like it.

This tower does have character. A few years ago, when this was first revealed, I must admit, I thought it was garbage, but now that its almost complete, I realize the genius behind it. What I admire most about it is how its a completely different tower depending on the angle. It has many faces, and many personalities depending on where you view it from. Its quite a trippy experience.

Also how light plays with it. The luminosity of the day adds even further to the design. A game of refraction and reflection, which it excels in. Like the ever changing reflection of the river, this too shares those attributes, and the time of day with respect to the suns angle, and suns luminosity (seasonal) makes this tower have a fresh new face every day, and different character throughout the year (IMO, as winter tends to have washed out sun light, and summer a more prominent, magnitude to it).
Agree that the bump out section is looking much more appealing than in any of the renders. The glass color is great and very reflective. I'm interested to see how they knock out the rest of the lower half. From the renders it looked as if the glass would follow the angled concrete columns to the base, but those reddish steel columns they added at the corners, which are fairly hefty, makes me think they might be going straight down. The window installation having stopped at that particular juncture seems perhaps they will follow the angle after all, however.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 2:02 AM

March 23

March 30

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:

You don't have any thoughts on the black ventilation or whatever it is?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
this. this is my only real question. just why black?! there is no use speculating on a decision this seemingly stupid, i want to hear an actual explanation from studio gang or bkl
They chose black for the louvers because it matches the window mullions.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
You don't have any thoughts on the black ventilation or whatever it is?
The black screens that everyone is complaining about are mechanical louvers. They are NOT temporary. They are also NOT screens. They are louvers required for the building mechanical systems to work properly.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

You guys have a good tower regardless. At the end of the day, IMO, a win-win!

We all knit-pick at certain things, but when folks take in the overall summation of all the elements of Vista, its a hell of an addition.

Now you guys just have to get that Tribune Tower rising. That one is really nice!

I think this tower (Vista) will age well with the skyline. Just another addition to the architectural lexicon that makes up the Chicago skyline. One that spans 3 centuries!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Ding View Post
The black screens that everyone is complaining about are mechanical louvers. They are NOT temporary. They are also NOT screens. They are louvers required for the building mechanical systems to work properly.
I know they're not temporary. And I don't care what they are. I could say that the blue stuff is glass, it is required for the building to work. That doesn't remove it from the conversation lol. I don't think this was how the south face of the building was originally going to look. It amazes me that only a couple of people are talking about this when there are so many Chicago posters that seem sensitive to aesthetics whenever any building rendering comes out.

Last edited by Darude_Sandstorm; Apr 2, 2020 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 4:10 AM

Quote:
I know they're not temporary. And I don't care what they are. I could say that the blue stuff is glass, it is required for the building to work. That doesn't remove it from the conversation lol. I don't think this was how the south face of the building was originally going to look. It amazes me that only a couple of people are talking about this when there are so many Chicago posters that seem sensitive to aesthetics whenever any building rendering comes out.
No doubt that most are probably disappointed about some of the executions of Vistas south facade, but also it is what it is. I also think that each individual on this forum feels differently about each aspect of unexpected elements on the south facade, which to me include:

1. The mechanical louvers at the first setback
2. The mechanical louvers at the second setback
3. And the blow through floor

Everyone will have a different opinion, but for me #2 is the biggest crime, and breaks the rules of the form of the tower. I know Chicago is a very pro "form follows function" city but this tower is all about its form, therefore its functional aspects (i.e. the blow through and louvers) need to follow the "rules" set by the form. I honestly believe the blow through floor is actually a positive addition because it follows the same rules of the form that the louvers at the first setback follow, and I believe it balances out the south facade adding a black visual band to the top of the tower like the one that occurs closer to the bottom. The other louvers make no sense but they are also the least visible of the three, so when it comes down to it the addition to the skyline, striking form and interesting glass gradients outweigh the one negative I see in the building.

Last edited by ChiTownWonder; Apr 2, 2020 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:58 PM

#2, the middle setback is by FAR the worst. It's not even balanced. The middle section one seems 1 window length off to me. They should have just made it go all the way across or just pick one of the sections to have it on. It may sound like we are nitpicking, but even my 'non skyscraper enthusiast' friends thought it looked odd and unbalanced.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:01 AM

Thank you. The middle louvers are really what drive me crazy. If it just spanned the length of that middle tower it would at least seem to be following the rules of the form.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
You guys have a good tower regardless. At the end of the day, IMO, a win-win!

We all knit-pick at certain things, but when folks take in the overall summation of all the elements of Vista, its a hell of an addition.

Now you guys just have to get that Tribune Tower rising. That one is really nice!

I think this tower (Vista) will age well with the skyline. Just another addition to the architectural lexicon that makes up the Chicago skyline. One that spans 3 centuries!
The south face is the most important face of the building in the broader context of the skyline. If you're hanging out in Chicago's front yard you now have something deeply flawed to look at. I don't know how to make that feel like a win. I wish I did.

I love urban density, and I want Chicago to get more dense. But I'm not a supertall junkie. If a building is going to be a prominent addition to the skyline it's gotta work, compositionally and not have glaring offensive elements.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture