HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:22 PM

When I was 10 years old you didn't have to lock your bike. I had no lock. I left my wonderful new bike at the St. James Civic Centre and I went with some older boys to watch them play lacross at another arena. My bike was gone when I came back for it. Never seen again.

Five years earlier living in the north end near Mountain, we never locked the doors. But we came home one day to a mess of toothpaste on the bathroom mirror and other things. Probably kids.

When I was 9 I was robbed of my change, 40 cents which is about 10 dollars today, by a much older boy at knife-point at the St. James library. My parents did not believe me. So we left it at that.

So 2 pm means nothing today. Some people were beaten with a pipe at 2 pm at Donald and St. Mary's on a week-day a few years ago.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
When I was 10 years old you didn't have to lock your bike. I had no lock. I left my wonderful new bike at the St. James Civic Centre and I went with some older boys to watch them play lacross at another arena. My bike was gone when I came back for it. Never seen again.

Five years earlier living in the north end near Mountain, we never locked the doors. But we came home one day to a mess of toothpaste on the bathroom mirror and other things. Probably kids.

When I was 9 I was robbed of my change, 40 cents which is about 10 dollars today, by a much older boy at knife-point at the St. James library. My parents did not believe me. So we left it at that.

So 2 pm means nothing today. Some people were beaten with a pipe at 2 pm at Donald and St. Mary's on a week-day a few years ago.
Going by the BoC inflation calculator, you're well over 100 years old.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Going by the BoC inflation calculator, you're well over 100 years old.
LOL. My inflation is based on 5 cent chocolate bars. It was 5 cents for 5-6 pieces of MacIntosh caramel at the YMCA where we swam with no bathing suit.
I actually saved someone my age from drowning and he gave me 5 cents.

Of course, you can pay 82 cents at Dollarama or $1.49 at Food Fare now.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:39 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Especially downtown, take half the cops that just ride around in cars and put them on the street. I almost never see cops walking the beat downtown, and I'm starting to think that's a big part of the problem.
Could also throw WPS some more M-16s and run some drills through the heart of Downtown Winnipeg. I mean, it works in other major cities, scaring would-be, non-Ned Flanders people to the point of shitting their pants, before committing any crazy crimes. Might work for Winnipeg?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:43 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Could also throw WPS some more M-16s and run some drills through the heart of Downtown Winnipeg. I mean, it works in other major cities, scaring would-be, non-Ned Flanders people to the point of shitting their pants, before committing any crazy crimes. Might work for Winnipeg?
Ironically, this was actually done to raise money for war bonds or some such thing back in the day. A simulated Nazi occupation.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Tell you what, let's let Calgary try it first and report back to us how it goes.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:38 PM

Drill rig on site at mpi lots. SE corner Donald at st mary.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Drill rig on site at mpi lots. SE corner Donald at st mary.
Whatever could it mean?

And did you mean SW corner, or does MPI own the SE lot too?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:20 PM

Oh oops. Maybe not mpi lot. I thought they owned that one too.

But its the lot on the SE corner. Across the back lane from the Louis riel building. Whatever it's called now.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:23 PM

Speaking of the SW lot, whatever came of the EOI for that lot? We got true north square out of the EOI of the graham lot.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:26 PM

It was shelved pending sopo square development. Hopefully it picks up again soon.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
It was shelved pending sopo square development. Hopefully it picks up again soon.
Sopo Square

But yeah, it would be nice to see the momentum continue on that site.

As far as the SE corner site goes, just about anything would make me happy there. As long as it doesn't have a parking lot or a drive thru, I'll be fine with it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:40 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Tell you what, let's let Calgary try it first and report back to us how it goes.
Seen it here, disturbingly effective. In my years of growing up in Winnipeg? Rarely ever seen.

Try having a SWAT team BBQ in Portage Place, maybe parade the armored car up and down Graham or Main, use Polo as a place to run laps around maybe?

I mean, theres just no visible deterrents around Winnipeg to be honest. If there was more of a police presence around, versus WPS just showing up on the news with video clips of them pacing around outside Location X in military gear, there would be more of an actual deterrent to trying anything stupid.

The neighborhood watches popping up in Winnipeg lately might help a little bit, but realistically, what can they deter? Minus the B&E's, property crimes and sexual offenses, what can they deter without legal protection and/or powers?

Thus, enter the cops runnung around randomly in full tactical gear, and other displays of deterrence. It might actually help, even though it may give off the vibe of totalitarianism and all, it would probably work to be honest. Especially since the other methods to reduce crime haven't exactly worked.

Prime examples: increased employment opportunities, actual after-school program access, increased vocational training, anti-racist hiring laws... because if laws were existent and *enforced*, then nobody would have to tell stories anymore of how being Aboriginal has costed them opportunities of employment (and having to resort to non-legal income generation)... which I'm sure everyone on SSP is aware of, because somehow this discrimination is still very much rampant in Winnipeg, about to enter into the 2020s. Which is ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:16 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
try having a swat team bbq in portage place, maybe parade the armored car up and down graham or main, use polo as a place to run laps around maybe?
wtf

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:25 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
wtf
...?

Unless you have better ideas? A community BBQ cookout by WPS at Portage Place isn't exactly a bad idea. Have it out back too, if not under the clock tower. Guaranteed, near-zero crime and massive boost of presence/visibility.

Free bratwurst...?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
This story proves that you actually DID need a lock when you were 10 years old.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:39 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
This story proves that you actually DID need a lock when you were 10 years old.
I once left my bike behind my home, out of sight, behind a fence. It got stolen. St James too.

Leaving a bike around unlocked anywhere in Winnipeg, is insane. Even if I left a bike out in Linden Woods or Bridgwater, Sage Creek etc, it would STILL get stolen lol. Always lock your bikes, people!!!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:52 PM

Just to be clear, bike theft isn't a unique to Winnipeg problem. To add, I've never had my bike stolen ever. The only problem I've ever had with crime is my car window being broken. Nothing stolen, just the window smashed twice.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, bike theft isn't a unique to Winnipeg problem. To add, I've never had my bike stolen ever. The only problem I've ever had with crime is my car window being broken. Nothing stolen, just the window smashed twice.
I was about to say. Leaving your bike unlocked in any major city will eventually get it stolen. Visiting a friend in Chicago I remember her saying how they'll just take any piece of the bike they can get a hold of. Lik eher bike seat was stolen numerous times.

Anyway not a new problem either. My dad tells a story about a unique bike he had that was stolen in the 1960s. He was on a bus and saw his bike parked in front of a store and rang the bell got off and stole it back. I maintain he probably just stole someone elses bike.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:14 PM
the first stamp is free

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan