HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:12 AM

Saskatchewan: Founded on Land Scandals, Maintained on Land Scandals.

:p

Just kidding, but only partly.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think you are underestimating the negative impact that semis have on congestion in stop and go traffic. One semi equals 20 cars in my book. This will also take most of the semis and other through traffic off Arcola East and Lewvan. Some days in rush hour there are a half dozen semis on Arcola East. They really slow things down.

Vic East, Lewvan and Arcola East are some of our worst traffic issues. I think the Bypass will help a lot. It should also help 9th Ave N. and Pasqua.
There will still be tons of semis though as they continue to travel to the industrial areas that the bypass doesn't go to.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed people when the bypass opens and...nothing really changes about Vic East.
It will still be busy. But the only heavy truck traffic will be local traffic.

I for one am hoping the north Regina Costco rumour turns out to be true, and I will never need to visit east Regina again.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
I do not disagree that the Bypass is far too ambitious and expensive for Regina. I am just saying it will offer a lot of benefits. $2 Billion worth? No.
In fairness, the $2 billion includes 30 years of maintenance. If you are going to compare this to the cost of hospitals or light rail transit, you need to add 30 years of maintenance to those costs, too. Apples to apples.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
In fairness, the $2 billion includes 30 years of maintenance. If you are going to compare this to the cost of hospitals or light rail transit, you need to add 30 years of maintenance to those costs, too. Apples to apples.
I take it that the $2 billion also included land acquisition costs where needed. Did the province help pay for any road upgrades the City needed to do to tie in roads to the bypass? It all adds up but so do the benefits.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
You could probably replace the General for 1.5 billion (if the Children's hospital was just over 200 million). A replacement building would be cheaper to operate than the current old piece of shart currently in place, so you maintenance costs would probably go down.

Yer welcome.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It’s because of attitudes like this that Prairies can’t have nice roads.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 5:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It’s because of attitudes like this that Prairies can’t have nice roads.
When everyone has SUVs and trucks anyways, who cares about nice roads?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
When everyone has SUVs and trucks anyways, who cares about nice roads?
It seems in my driving, the SUV drivers are more likely to drive around the puddles than the car drivers are. But that is what happens when an SUV becomes a luxury vehicle instead of something practical.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
It seems in my driving, the SUV drivers are more likely to drive around the puddles than the car drivers are. But that is what happens when an SUV becomes a luxury vehicle instead of something practical.
I followed a BMW SUV on a very nice grid road last night. 50kph!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It's October now. Time to count down to the full opening of the bypass?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It's October now. Time to count down to the full opening of the bypass?
No date has yet been announced. They keep saying "end of Oct." I would not be surprised if they go right to Oct. 31 which is a Thursday.

I will be very interested in how they do with winter maintenance as compared to Sask Highways and the City (Ring Road). The Ring Road is always slippery. The City seems to use little salt even when weather conditions are perfect for it and never pre-treat before weather events. Tons of accidents as a result.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
No date has yet been announced. They keep saying "end of Oct." I would not be surprised if they go right to Oct. 31 which is a Thursday.

I will be very interested in how they do with winter maintenance as compared to Sask Highways and the City (Ring Road). The Ring Road is always slippery. The City seems to use little salt even when weather conditions are perfect for it and never pre-treat before weather events. Tons of accidents as a result.
I'd say the private firms that do the road maintenance on the two provincially owned freeways in Calgary do a MUCH better job than the City does on city roads.

Last edited by Corndogger; Oct 2, 2019 at 4:41 AM. Reason: correcting a brainfart!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:06 AM

Quote:
The City seems to use little salt even when weather conditions are perfect for it and never pre-treat before weather events.
I am completely OK with the city using the very minimum salt possible. It ruins cars and is an environmental disaster.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I am completely OK with the city using the very minimum salt possible. It ruins cars and is an environmental disaster.
As much as I hate icy roads I agree that too much salt is bad. There's really only a handful of days a year that are really bad.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I'd say the private firms that do the road maintenance on the two provincially owned freeways in Calgary do a major better job than the City does on city roads.
Regina Bypass has done a very good job clearing snow so far.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker58 View Post
Regina Bypass has done a very good job clearing snow so far.
I'm not surprised to hear that. It's much easier for the government and public to hold a private company to account than it is a union.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. When it is -2C the Ring Road should not be a skating rink. Someone will die. Road salt is a minor environmental issue IMO.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. When it is -2C the Ring Road should not be a skating rink. Someone will die. Road salt is a minor environmental issue IMO.

I would like to see them try something a bit more environmentally friendly than rock salt such as treating ahead of time with cheese by product brine, or beet juice. Does anyone know if either has been tried in this province?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Mandatory snow tires, enhanced driver training is far more of an issue than spraying salt all over the place for the lowest common denominator.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan